1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Name...

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by MikeW, Nov 25, 2005.

I am fairly new to this, but am thinking of registering a new domain name. It would appear that .com, .co.uk and .org have gone, however I'm thinking of registering .me.uk. In terms of ranking in the search engine, am I likely to rank worse as a result of registering .me.uk, instead of a more defined .com, or .co.uk?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MikeW, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  2. seolion

seolion Active Member

Best Answers:
    Keyword in a domain matters a bit but I dont feel you will be given a lesser rank due to the 'me.uk' . It's mainly the SEO behind the site is what counts and not the domain as such.

seolion, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  3. mdev05

mdev05 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I think, a .com, .net and a .org get first preference on the search engines. The comes local addresses.

I am not very sure if you should go with .me.uk. In all possibilities top search engines might ignore these sites, untill these sites get tonns of inward links.

Why dont you go with website address with dashes. like www.this-is-mine.com. This is rated more approprited by the top search engines for sure.

mdev05, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  4. tfbpa

tfbpa The....Alive

Best Answers:
    Don't think it matters, ranking whise.

What does matter is that visitors probably trust a .com/net/org extenstion more than any others.

tfbpa, Nov 25, 2005 IP
  5. pyroism

pyroism Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah, i don't think the TLD would affect your rank in the SERP's, much if at all. I don't think anyone can tell for sure if Google takes the TLD into account, but it would seem that the focus is more on SEO and keywords in the actual domain name (a little bit). However, like tfbpa said, a .com/.net/.org are what most people consider more trustworthy/legit and hence the large demand for those TLD's.

pyroism, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  6. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    The TLD of your domain shouldn't make a difference one way or the other in the SERPs, but it absolutley will affect your type-in traffic as most people naturally just tack on the .com to anything they are looking for.

Just my observations. YMMV

Caveman, Nov 27, 2005 IP