1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain name transfer to hosting?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Tamlyn Shimizu, Jan 4, 2018.

Hey everyone, I bought a domain for my blog a couple weeks back from GoDaddy. A couple weeks later, I found a good deal on iPage for hosting so I purchased that. However, I just found out about the rule saying that I can't transfer the domain name from GoDaddy to iPage for 60 days. Is there any way around that? GoDaddy is more expensive for hosting otherwise I could cancel for free on iPage. Any suggestions? TIA!

Tamlyn Shimizu, Jan 4, 2018 IP
  2. HostService

HostService Member

Best Answers:
    Why is there such limit of 60 days? I have never heard about this.
    Do you know about the continue price on GoDaddy? They attract customers with cheap domains and then they discover much bigger price to prolong the domain

HostService, Jan 4, 2018 IP
  3. Tamlyn Shimizu

Tamlyn Shimizu Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I had never heard of it either. But it's an icann policy that the domain can not be transferred within 60 days of registration. I had no idea, else I wouldn't have bought the domain from GoDaddy prior. I don't know about the continue price....does that help me with getting hosting for my domain cheaper?

4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You are confusing domain names and hosting. You don't need to transfer the domain name to change hosting. You just need to change the nameservers.

dcristo, Jan 4, 2018 IP
    steveb and Arick unirow like this.
  5. Tamlyn Shimizu

Tamlyn Shimizu Peon

Best Answers:
    so you think I can just change the name server? the reason why I thought I had to transfer it is because iPage prompted me to transfer it after I bought the hosting but warned that the domain name had to be registered for over 60 days. it didn't give me the option to change the nameservers

6. Tamlyn Shimizu

Tamlyn Shimizu Peon

Best Answers:
    I just talked with the people at iPage and they confirmed I just need to change the name server. thank you so much for this, you saved me a lot of headache!

7. robert4u

robert4u Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I second that, also always keep the domain registered at registrar which Godaddy is. On the other side if you change whois detail, you have to wait for 60 days before transfer.

robert4u, Jan 4, 2018 IP
  8. daica85

daica85 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Newly purchased domains are locked 60 days before transferring out, that's the rule. However, you don't need to transfer the domain to your hosting to use. Just simply to change its nameserver pointing to your hosting to use.

daica85, Jan 8, 2018 IP
  9. nationhealth

nationhealth Active Member

Best Answers:
    domain panel is totally different from hosting - hosting is a place your site content reside so dont mixed it up.

you domain panel has to locate the website contain (place of you website date server) by inserting the dns service.. so ask your hosting provider to give you the dns and according to that change it into the godaddy domain panel and thats all..

thnx

nationhealth, Jan 21, 2018 IP
  10. Prasenjit Dutta Chowdhury

Prasenjit Dutta Chowdhury Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to share few step to transfer.

1. Verify that the domain name is eligible for transfer.

2. Prepare your domain for transfer:

Disable Whois privacy protection tool or Private Registration for your domain;
    Verify you have access to the email within the domain’s WHOIS Administrative contact;
    Unlock your domain – remove the Registrar lock you may have set for added security;
    Obtain the Auth/EPP code from the current Registrar:

Once logged in, select Domains from the top menu and select Transfer a Domain;
    Enter your domain name & Auth/EPP code separated by a comma.
    Example: domainname.com, E9R7;P402*4HS73:
    Click 'Start Transfer' and Namecheap’s system will verify the domain is ready for transfer and return the results;
    Click 'Add to Cart';
    Enter any coupon codes you may have and click 'Apply';
    Proceed to Checkout.

3. Check your email for the verification request.

11. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly yes this is base rule that domain will be locked for 60 days from registration time. This is to avoid fraud order or domain stealing.
    Regarding hosting you can host website any where else you wish to its not necessary you host your domain with the domain you register domain. Hosting and Domain can be kept seperate you just need to edit DNS in your case.

webhost.uk.net, Mar 1, 2018 IP