1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

domain name transfer 301 redirect question

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by luigi777, Mar 24, 2014.

Due to a legal dispute I am forced to move my website to a new domain name. So here I need to do the 301 redirect from the old name to the new one.
    However, I will have to hand over the old domain to the other party because of the legal dispute.
    Now I am wondering, what happens when they acquire the domain name and would build a new website on it or make it redirect elsewhere.
    How do I handle this situation? How can I make sure to keep my rakings in the search engines?

Thank you!!

luigi777, Mar 24, 2014 IP
  2. samnugro

samnugro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Forget about search engine ranking and 301 redirect.. it's nothing compared to problem on your face.
    You have 2 options: fight back or let it go.
    It's that simple.

samnugro, Mar 24, 2014 IP
  3. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would do 301 redirect index + all subpages. And then ping search engines (google: ping google) to make sure they noticed permanent redirect and act upon that. Also check google webmaster tools to make change. But existing backlinks will give link juice to old domain even after new owner remove redirect....

also if you ahve alot of money in old domain, you may consider looking more if you are indeed violating rights and if you can remove some content which would stop violation and they cant successfully sue you.

postcd, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  4. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, I totally agree with Postcd. It does not matter whether you made a redirecct or not. Domain name is the only thing that matters in such disputes. Winning the court is your best bet if their claims are unfair. If claims are fair - remove the content.

Your rating will be lost the moment they aquire the domain, regardless of redirect.

H0stZealot, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  5. gigalicious

gigalicious Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    301 the domain after their claim shows a sudden change from your part to retain or diffuse the legal threat. (this is not a legal advice). IMO it doesn't make any sense and it can make things worse not better

gigalicious, Apr 19, 2014 IP
  6. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    301 redirect is a setting of a domain, a DNS record. Whoever controls the domain - controls its DNS records. The moment they gain control - your domain is lost with all its settings and DNS records. Therefore, gigalicious is absolutely wrong, unfortunately.

H0stZealot, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  7. jukebox9988

jukebox9988 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Start moving your website over right now. 301 redirect the domain and set up the new site with all the pages today. Hopefully, Google will pick up the switch fast then just continue building your domain. Also, consider buying an expired domain instead of a hand reg. It already has backlinks like the domain you must give up.

jukebox9988, Apr 24, 2014 IP