1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

domain name take down notice

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by starbuckser, Jun 15, 2015.

Hello,
    I got a cease and desist on my domain name NewsHollywood.com (disguised). I got the cease and desist from HollywoodNews.com (disguised).

Essentially, in my case, the word news is in the front of the name. HollywoodNews.com was registered 5 years ago and my domain, NewsHollywood.com was registered recently.

In the cease and desist letter, the owner of HollywoodNews.com is saying that, "the use of a similar name with similar the words juxtaposed is an effort to mislead consumers and confuse them."

I know for a fact that Hollywood is not a brand name like Pepsi or Coke. Moreover, the HollywoodNews.com is not in any way related to Hollywood itself if it were even a possibility.

What is the best way to respond?

I appreciate your help

starbuckser, Jun 15, 2015 IP
  2. jdwaverly

jdwaverly Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Did you check if they have a trademark on Hollywood News?
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4805:ui9vjz.1.1

How important is this domain to you? How much are you willing to pay to defend it?
    Those questions determine everything.

Common possible response is a UDRP filing. It costs them about $2000-$3000 to do that.
    Defending against one successfully may require a lawyer.

The general rule to go by:
    Anyone can sue anyone for any reason at anytime. It takes a court to decide if the lawsuit has merit.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    jdwaverly, Jun 16, 2015 IP
  3. cerno

cerno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check if the complaining name has a registered trademark as suggested, with simply a city name and the generic term "news" I doubt they could have registered a trademark as the phrase is so generic and utilitarian. I don't know if your real situation is this obvious, but if it were me I would probably ignore the letter and see if they actually file a complaint in court. That being said, I wouldn't invest efforts into a domain that is handicapped by a domain name where the words appear to be reversed. You should read the information about trademarks at USTPO website to understand what is a generic term and doesn't have protection as a brand name.

cerno, Jul 2, 2015 IP
  4. starbuckser

starbuckser Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, good point. I appreciate your response.

And the case is so far under control. Turns out the guy is a known fraud from India, and was trying to "reverse domain hijack" me.

Luckily, a friend knows a digital forensics expert who helped me locate this guy and all of his shady businesses. The lawyer is also ready in case it escalates.

starbuckser, Jul 3, 2015 IP