1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain name & server location problem with Google

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by claudineduplessis, Jan 17, 2006.

What would be the best method for what I'm trying to do?

I have a web site on a USA server using an MSSQL database. This is not a dedicated server, the hosting is shared with other persons. The site is optimized for Google.com and appears in the top search results for its keywords.

The problem is this: I am trying to optimize my site for Google.co.za (South Africa). But because my site's IP address is from the USA, it doesn't get picked up as South African by Google even if the domain name is a .co.za domain name.

What I would like to do is have a seperate web site with my site's South African content hosted on a South African server, but I would still need to use the same database and data as the USA site.

How would I solve this problem? To have the South African site access a USA hosted database may be slow, and I doubt if I will have access to it. But to have two seperate database and synchronize the data is also a big task and I don't know what would be the best method for this.

Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Claudine

claudineduplessis, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  2. claudineduplessis

claudineduplessis Peon

Best Answers:
    My actual question that I forgot to ask: Would it help to have a .co.za domain hosted on a SA server, but redirecting to the USA hosted site? Would Google pick up this redirect and see the page as US or as South African? Is there an SEO-friendly way of doing such a redirect?

claudineduplessis, Jan 17, 2006 IP