1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain DNS management with godaddy?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by jpcesar, Jan 26, 2007.

Hi guys,

I own a small data center with 4 dedicated servers, and a dedicated connection with fixed IP.

However, my DNS management for some of those domains are very clumsy ATM, I've given the DNS of a host company, and manually edited zones configuration files to point to this fixed IP I have, so I'm using those hosting companies emails (mx records), but when it comes to web requests I'm using my fixed IP.

My question is, can I manage the DNS directly from the domain vendor, like godaddy, giving them the DNS management? I would just give the IP for that domain, and they take care of the rest. This would allow me to stop using the intermediate services for DNS management.

I also have dns2go.com DNS management system on 5 domains and it works great, but it's too expensive to have it for like 70 domains. I would prefer it directly from the domain name vendor.

How do you guys manage your DNS's, I need some advices so I can scale better my management.

Best regards

jpcesar, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  2. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you can use Godaddy DNS to point the domains to the static IP
    Godaddy under Manage Domains or "Off-site DNS".

techpr, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  3. jpcesar

jpcesar Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I used another option, more powerfull that I've just found.

It seems that they have included a tool to allow total control over the DNS values.

I attach the screenshots and how to get there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope it will be usefull to others too.

Cheers

jpcesar, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  4. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is the option.

If the domains are registered with GD you use the Total DNS Control, if the domain are not registered with GD (another registrar) you can use the Off-site DNS option.

techpr, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  5. everypcneed

everypcneed Peon

Best Answers:
    Any good domain registrar should provide this control. GoDaddy is my preferred choice but I have worked with many that offer the same ability.

everypcneed, Jan 27, 2007 IP