1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Appraisal ? Huh?

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by Tuning, Feb 5, 2005.

Hi -

What is meant by domain appraisal ? I have searched a lot in google and couldn't find what this monster is. I have a faint idea about this as something related to validating the domain's current sale value. However I could not find what are the factors that makes domain to be highly valueable.

Can anyone help me finding the inside secrets of domain appraisal ?

Regards,
    Tuning :)

Tuning, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it is mostly a waste of time and money.

If you go on the domain name forums those guys are mostly a bunch of jerks that will not do anything but give you silly opinions most of the time.

If you have a valuable domain that someone wants they will find you in the whois and contact you to make an offer or to see if you will give them the name for peanuts.

If it is a good name they will try to buy it at a hell of a lot less than it is worth.

If the name is a must have name like: men.com sex.com business.com you can get millions out of those, but most of the one word names are gone and were registered in the early days of the game and many have changed hands at higher prices each time.

anthonycea, Feb 5, 2005 IP
    vagrant likes this.
  3. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anthony,

Do you know how this domain appraisal is done ? I mean how they value the domains ?

Is it just the name or does it require BLs, PR etc.

Regards,
    Tuning

Tuning, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    generally if BLs and PR are factored into it, it'd be a site sale/appraisal, not a domain sale/appraisal.

domain appraisals generally go on the value of JUST the domain.

disgust, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    There are many things considered when giving an appraisal: is it a new domain or an established one? Live or expired? How many backlinks? How much traffic? Is the traffic comming from type-ins, search engines, or links? Does the domain have an overture-with-extension count? Does it have PR? Is it listed at any main directory? How many letters does the domain have? How many words? Are they dictionary words? What extension does the domain have? Does it have any hyphens in it?

Those are the ones I can remember right now, but there are many other points that are considered when appraising a domain.

fryman, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:

In the case of:

business.com

men.com

sex.com

It would not matter if you had any links or site, just the name alone would be worth millions.

Expired names are purchased in many cases for existing traffic, most of these guys don't care if it is UncleSonniesMonkeys.com as long as it has traffic and links as Disgust mentions so they can point the traffic to another site.

7. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks fryman.

That will help me learn how domains are valued.

btw, does a new domain without any extra 'features' will get a good appraisal ?

Tuning, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    what is an overture-with-extension count?

nevetS, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    He is talking about how many times the domain is being used as a search term in the keyword search projection tool they have on their website.

10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Is the number of times a domain has been searched for at overture. For example, go to http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/ and type a domain (without the www). The higher the number, the higher $$$ you can ask for it.

fryman, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I would not put much faith in that tool for domain names Fryman, one of my names used to come up with 130 searches a month and now it shows none.

The tool is for keywords, not domains.

It is not a true test of anything in my opinion when it comes to domains, yes you can put Google in there and get some numbers but to use it as an indicator of a domains value would be a mistake.

12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    That might be your personal opinion, but it is a standard criteria in the domain business to use it as a reference.

fryman, Feb 5, 2005 IP