1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dolphin or Joomla? Need advice, please :)

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by bodhicoyote, Jan 27, 2008.

Hi all, this is my first post here.

We're trying to decide whether we should use BoonEx Dolphin or Joomla to build an upcoming social network website. The main issue is that although my partner in this is a very experienced website developer, he won't have a lot of time to help out. Therefore, the bulk of the work involved in creating and administering the site will fall on my shoulders. I do have a lot of experience with business software and some scripting (batch files, macros, basic html), but I am a total noob when it comes to PHP and website development. Given enough time I can figure out just about any software I've had to use, but in this case we want to be up and running soonest, so my learning curve needs to be as easy as possible.

I like the fact that Joomla is totally open source and has a large, active community, but the two examples I've found of people using it for social networking sites are a little intimidating. I was left with the impression that the webmasters are experts at Joomla, PHP and website development in general.

BoonEx Dolphin presents itself as being a "social network in a can", so to speak, and the branding issue isn't a concern since it's pretty cheap to have it removed. However, I've heard some complaints as to its reliability and support, although I've so far read nothing definitive enough to steer me away from it.

Bottom line: At this point I'm intimidated by Joomla and impressed by how BoonEx presents itself on its website. However, I'm experienced enough to know that you can't just go by a company's advertising.

So, does anyone here have some experience with either or both Dolphin or Joomla? Can anyone give me some hard info - beyond vagaries like "their support sucks, dood!" - on the the good, bad and ugly of these two packages?

My apologies for such a long-winded post, and thank you in advance for any insight, suggestions and help you can provide.

Cheers :)

bodhicoyote, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  2. Forumhorizon

Forumhorizon Banned

Best Answers:
    Go with Joomla, it has a wider base and if you have problems more people are familiar with it and could help.

Forumhorizon, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  3. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    TechnoGeek, Jan 27, 2008 IP
    bodhicoyote likes this.
  4. bodhicoyote

bodhicoyote Guest

Best Answers:
    @TechnoGeek: Very helpful. Thanks :)

bodhicoyote, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  5. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    You are welcome. Just add some green (reputation) ;-)

TechnoGeek, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  6. logon2future

logon2future Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla I suggest

logon2future, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  7. bodhicoyote

bodhicoyote Guest

Best Answers:
    Looks like we're going with Joomla. Thanks, everyone :)

bodhicoyote, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  8. PaulJG

PaulJG Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is the best choice

PaulJG, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  9. Boulder

Boulder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla might have a little more of a learning curve, yet you will be happy when you start learning some of it.. Because it has a huge user base and development community with nice helpful people and forums abound. On top of that thousands and thousands of plugins, themes, modules, mambots and components, which allow many great things to be done..

Have a lot of fun!
    Boulder

Boulder, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  10. joomlajoomla

joomlajoomla Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to Joomla. Be sure to choose a good host even if you need to pay a bit more.

joomlajoomla, Nov 10, 2009 IP