1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does vBulletin need SEO mods?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by brandondrury, Oct 27, 2005.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    :D Gotta love the impartiality of THAT statement! :rolleyes:

Well, here he goes again, folks. What I'm seeing here from jward is another advertising campaign for vbSEO emphasizing features that either are not needed or features that almost anyone with a little basic knowledge of PHP and HTML can do themselves for free.

I don't know why we need all this rhetoric: If you own a vBulletin forum and you have no idea what you're doing, you might want to put up the cash for vbSEO... Or you might want to pay someone to do what you need for you, since if you're going to spend that money you probably don't know how to create or insert your own forum logo either. In fact, if you want to get a forum going and don't even know how to do that much yourself, you might save yourself a whole lot of money by skipping the purchase of vBulletin and vbSEO and installing phpBB with the Able2Know SEO MOD (sans the mod_rewrite because, honestly, no matter what software you use you really do NOT need that), or if that money is really burning a hole in your pocket paying someone to do that for you -- you'll still save yourself a good couple of hundred bucks.

Do we really need to go round this track again, jward? Look, if you can find people who want to pay for your package, good for you. But surely there must be a more appropriate venue for all this advertising somewhere else... This just isn't the right crowd for you.

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    By the way - does your software still link bomb Google for the keywords "Search Engine Optimisation" to your business site? You know, while we're on the subject of spam..

joeychgo, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    By the way - for the person who gave me red rep - this was not taken out of context.

-

joeychgo, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  4. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    I do have a question though..............

My blog is on the front page for the term 'Danielle Calo' (got over 2000 hits yesterday for that! yikes)

but nothing from my forum (basic vbulletin) shows up in the search....is it because it's just not indexed? the forum is about....2-3 months old with a PR4 but none of my threads get indexed it seems..

and an example

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3155
    Goldie Hawn and Meg Ryan - Glamour Women of the Year awards General Photos

^ that's what I want ... where it provides some info otherwise most of my indexed links look like this

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37952#post37952

with no info at all..why is it indexing all the 'new posts' ones? i want it to index the actual threads :p So it provides some information as well like the description such as the one's DP have listed in Google

"reciprocal link gathering tools - Page 2
    reciprocal link gathering tools (from Link Development)
    forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=451410"

Dekker, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
    noppid likes this.
  6. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    those are just the forum links though...I think there are 2 of actual threads, the goldie hawn one and one about pharrell williams (but they are mighty old)

i'm thinking it's just because I haven't been around long enough? or is it possible there's some error in my text?

it's just that I have some unique ones (the threads for some of the models) that don't show at all on google

Dekker, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  7. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night! :eek:

noppid, Dec 4, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  8. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

Wife's pissed at you again huh

joeychgo, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  9. noppid

Best Answers:
    That's a whole nuther thread. ;)

noppid, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  10. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    naturally :)

joeychgo, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You lost me (again), noppid :confused: :eek:

SVZ, I don't know what the problem is with your forum. I see:

So you certainly should have more pages indexed that you do. Are you doing anything odd in an htaccess file?

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  12. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    umm that's probably it. i just copy and pasted some stuff. i've been trying to forward gossiprocks.com to www.gossiprocks.com

this is what i have at gossiprocks.com/

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.gossiprocks\.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.gossiprocks.com/$1 [L,R=301]
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [S=50]
    RewriteRule ^(gossip-rocks-blog-roll)/trackback/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&tb=1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(gossip-rocks-blog-roll)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(gossip-rocks-blog-roll)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(gossip-rocks-blog-roll)/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(gossip-rocks-blog-roll)(/[0-9]+)?/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(friends-of-gossip-rocks)/trackback/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&tb=1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(friends-of-gossip-rocks)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(friends-of-gossip-rocks)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(friends-of-gossip-rocks)/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(friends-of-gossip-rocks)(/[0-9]+)?/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(treasure-chest)/trackback/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&tb=1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(treasure-chest)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(treasure-chest)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(treasure-chest)/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(treasure-chest)(/[0-9]+)?/?$ /index.php?pagename=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?&feed=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?&feed=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?&paged=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^comments/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?&feed=$1&withcomments=1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^comments/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?&feed=$1&withcomments=1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^comments/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?&paged=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^search/(.+)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?s=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^search/(.+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?s=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^search/(.+)/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?s=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^search/(.+)/?$ /index.php?s=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^category/(.+)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?category_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^category/(.+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?category_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^category/(.+)/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?category_name=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^category/(.+)/?$ /index.php?category_name=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^author/([^/]+)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?author_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^author/([^/]+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?author_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^author/([^/]+)/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?author_name=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^author/([^/]+)/?$ /index.php?author_name=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&feed=$4 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&feed=$4 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&paged=$4 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&feed=$3 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&feed=$3 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&paged=$3 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?year=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?year=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?year=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/?$ /index.php?year=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/trackback/?$ /index.php?name=$1&tb=1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /index.php?name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/page/?([0-9]{1,})/?$ /index.php?name=$1&paged=$2 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^([^/]+)(/[0-9]+)?/?$ /index.php?name=$1&page=$2 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

<Files 403.shtml>
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Files>

deny from 151.202.100.89
    deny from 151.202.48.89
    deny from 68.237.205.191
    deny from 68.237.225.38
    deny from 68.237.194.28
    deny from 146.245.168.50
    deny from 68.237.78.253
    deny from 220.245.178.136

deny from 12.221.119.41
    deny from 24.213.160.10

Code (markup):
    and gossiprocks.com/forum/

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/$1 [L,R=301]
    RewriteRule ^(sitemap.*\.(xml\.gz|txt))$ vbseo_sitemap/vbseo_getsitemap.php?sitemap=$1 [L]
    Code (markup):

Dekker, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  13. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    Dekker, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  14. noppid

Best Answers:
    There was no point brother. Just popping in.

noppid, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Ahh... thanks, noppid. I staved off Alzheimers for another day :eek:

SVZ, I don't know what half of that htaccess stuff is doing but suppose you rename that file to something else to take it out of the loop and then see what happens? My guess is there is something in there that's screwing you up.

minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  16. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    the stuff like

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/$1 [L,R=301]
    RewriteRule ^(sitemap.*\.(xml\.gz|txt))$ vbseo_sitemap/vbseo_getsitemap.php?sitemap=$1 [L]
    Code (markup):
    just forwards gossiprocks.com to www.gossiprocks.com and gossiprocks.com/forum/ to www.gossiprocks.com/forum/ respectively

the huuuuuuge crap is from wordpress (it's the automatic URL rewrite) and the bottom part is banning some trolls :p

oh and also i only added that stuff..like a week ago really. perhaps google just hasn't done a deep spidering of my site?

Dekker, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  18. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    that's a mod i installed to create sitemaps for the site (hmm installed 2 days ago)

I was showing PR4 on my toolbar...ill check again.....weird

i checked and im still showing PR4, i checked it on a 3rd party site and it was 4 as well

Dekker, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  19. popdeal

popdeal Peon

Best Answers:
    Right on :)

popdeal, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    When you look at the top results for many keyterms in Google, you will see some mile long urls from authority sites having top rankings. So I think your energy should not be wasted on nitpicking over the urls. I do believe that the name of the url and the length do have an impact in the beginning, but as time goes by, it will be less and less.

Blogmaster, Jan 9, 2006 IP