1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does the DMOZ really determines our website ranking?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Samrixe, Nov 12, 2011.

Hey friends,
    I know that my question is really vague. But if this annoyed anyone, I'm really sorry. I heard from my friends that the DMOZ listing will give a direct boost to the site. I'm running a blog. my current alexa ranking is about 2,000,000 and my page rank is 2. what place will i get if DMOZ accept my blog? No accurate answers pal. Just an idea itself is enough.

Again sorry if I posted wrong

Samrixe, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is one of the few places that actually still use the ODP data. As such, yes, you may actually see a boost by getting a listing. However, you must ask yourself what is the value of Alexa rank? Do you honestly think the visitors to your site know what DMOZ is? Do you think they have EVER been to Alexa? Have you actually installed the spy-ware driven toolbar they offer? Is their rank really that important to you?

I have a random occult forum that within in a year was in the top 100,000, while it didn't stay there long, the only thing different I noticed was more spam in my inbox. Now my site is still under 200,000 and going strong... but I once did a poll as to who know what Alexa was and the ONLY people that said yes (save one) were fellow webmasters.

What can get you an even better ranking is to simply install a 3rd party less spammy toolbar (like quirks search status') and visit your sites daily. And then promote your site by other means such as blog links, forum sigs, and by the gods, GOOD CONTENT! You'd actually be amazed at how much help content worthy of being read can boost the ranking of a site!

Qryztufre, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  3. gjivan

gjivan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes for a better SERps in google, DMOZ and Yahoo listing plays a significant role but i don't know the criteria of DMOZ's acceptance of site. Some sites are accepted quite earlier and some are not... It seems to have a matter of luck too!!

gjivan, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  4. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it can and it will. But it's not the only way. And personally if you keep thinking on this and wait for DMOZ to approve you will go bald !

Create useful websites for users, submit it to DMOZ and forget about it. Do other sort of marketing like SEO to get traffic. If DMOZ approves it then its a perk. If not forget and move on. Life is not so short !

samdar, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  5. Samrixe

Samrixe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is there any other toolbars for that? How can the toolbar search increase my site rank sir?

Samrixe, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The Alexa spyware filled toolbar & the one I mentioned are the only two that I know of. And you don't need to search with it, just visit your site! You can also get a widget for your site that will help increase your alexa rank (http://www.alexa.com/siteowners/).

But again, simply submit your site to DMOZ, and forget about it & alexa. Neither are indicators of site worth, and most people who know anything will NOT use either as a metric for the value of a site. There are SEVERAL sites listed in the ODP with alexa rank in the millions, and with Google page ranks of 0. So again, there is no true value to the ODP or Alexa, and most people do not even know what these things are.

Focus on site content, and getting real humans to link to your site. Word of mouth is worth more then any other type of link or advertising.

Qryztufre, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a matter of a volunteer editor working in their spare time for no financial reward CHOOSING to work in that area, CHOOSING to use the suggestions pool as a resource to build or continue building that category. Until someone volunteers to do that any suggested sites will sit and wait that happening. Perhaps that volunteer might be you, apply in most categories by pressing the volunteer to edit this category button at the foot of most pages (unless you have been told not to re-apply or any offer to return to editing has been turned down).

Anonymously, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  8. Matthias

Matthias Member

Best Answers:
    I personally believe DMOZ offers little, if any at all, value to SEO and other metrics. I have several sites listed and DMOZ has done nothing to boost my rankings, traffic, or page rank.

As for Alexa, I believe it has value only if you use it to gauge your own progress in traffic generation. Using Alexa for anything else is a scam. Its easy to prove its a scam as well

Proof:

1. buy a new domain

2. create a page with the Alexa widget on it. You don't need anything else, not even content.

3. install the Alexa tool bar in your web browser.

4. visit this new page once a day for 15 minutes.

5. repeat this for 30 days.

In most cases, you'll start to see your Alexa rank begin to improve after the third day or so.

Why advertisers still use this bogus and worthless metric to price sites is unbelievable. Alexa has no value out side personal use.

Matthias, Nov 22, 2011 IP