1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does the country of origin of a link make a difference with SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by pedigreechump6, Jan 9, 2007.

Hi again,

I have another question about the links I have been buying. I have a UK site but have got text links on high PR sites that are .com domains. I am initially trying to get good rankings in UK SEs so would i have been better if I had links from .co.uk domains?

Thanks again,

peds

pedigreechump6, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  2. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, links from UK domains would help. However, it's also important for your website to have a UK domain name or a UK IP address. Some would say both.

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  3. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If you want to get good ranking in google.co.uk than links from .co.uk domains have more important that other country domains.so it will be beneficial for you to go for uk country domain.

seojig, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  4. on-on

on-on Peon

Best Answers:
    Out of curiousity, is the opposite false for US-based .com/.net/.whatever sites? By that I mean does it not matter what kind of site links to a .com in the US?

on-on, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  5. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok thanks, I have the .co.uk domain, but my IP is US based.

I don't think I have too many .co.uk links pointing my way so I'll try and do something about that ASAP.

pedigreechump6, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  6. Lee Rees

Lee Rees Peon

Best Answers:
    as a general rule of thumb unless your site is actuallÿ geared towards a UK market then host it in the US. Google peanalises UK hosted sites.

I learnt this the hard way.

Lee Rees, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  7. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    By studying my google-sitemap info - it does turn out to make a difference. If you want to be found in Australia, India and Canada for the same English language terms you are found for in the US, do make sure you get links from specifically Australia, India and Canada. I have not personally optimized for that, but google certainly is regionalising even general subjects (like Buddhism, spirituality etc.) into regionally specific serps.

kh7, Jan 10, 2007 IP