1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Tabbed Navigation Hurt SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by g0kh4n, Mar 30, 2013.

?

Does Tabbed Navigation Hurt SEO?

1. Yes.

50.0%
  2. No.

25.0%
  3. Not sure.

25.0%
  4. What's tabbed navigation?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    I'm just wondering if tabbed navigation on product page is SEO friendly or not. I would like to split product information to tabs. But can't make sure search engine bots can read tabbed content or not.

Btw, I'm new at managing web page. Using Opencart.

g0kh4n, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tabs are fine.

Why would tabs be bad?

It is simply a form of navigation and let's say you use a tab navigation to add four choices, which then adds four blocks of text, that's content being added.

Now obviously each item would also be better served with it's own page (or pages) with targetted titles but having tabs and some content referenced and "headed" (H Tagged) on pages using tabs is not going to hurt your SEO.

Revelations-Decoder, Mar 30, 2013 IP
    dennisb likes this.
  3. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I would be more worried about opencarts naff non SE friendly URL's myself than tabs!

Oops clicked quote instead of edit last post >> Sorry :)

Revelations-Decoder, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  4. g0kh4n

g0kh4n Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Yeah especially if you have multilanguage store. I have two languages on my store but only main language has indexed by google.

g0kh4n, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  5. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    YEs it does because Google has a hard time crawling those links, from what I understand.

ninjamtlt1, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  6. g0kh4n

g0kh4n Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Actually I think all information in one page will be inefficient. I've game shop and a game has different informations like features, story, system requirements vs. you know. For example tabbed navigation will be perfect for a customer who wants to find out only system requirements of game.

As we know, most people don't read too long texts. They only scroll down and trying to find what they want to find out.

Anyways, I need more comments about this tabbed navigation thing. Because I want to build my web page on strong base.

g0kh4n, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  7. g0kh4n

g0kh4n Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So, any other ideas? :)

g0kh4n, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  8. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of major websites including Google self who are using tabs (navigation). The hole point with tab navigation (same as with other onsite SEO) is: how are you going to implement it. So the question on your answer is no.

dennisb, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  9. Nicholas Pope

Nicholas Pope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I notice you said even Google uses tabs navigation, well I would just like to point out that Google also doesn't need to worry about SEO, Google could do many bad SEO practices and it wouldn't hurt them at all because people don't search for Google, people just go to Google every one knows about Google.

Nicholas Pope, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  10. sameer_max

sameer_max Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah it hurts in Search Engine point of view., but it is easy for user to navigate to all the pages without any problem..,

sameer_max, Mar 31, 2013 IP
  11. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:

So basically you are saying that Google don't care about being a good example of a good, descent website because people will find them anyway? If you truly believe that then you don't know much about Google and their way of working. Also people might not search for Google (you are stating by this that people on search on brands?) but they will search for problems which they have in their knowledge base or helpcenter.

Beside it was just an example of a high ranking authority website could also have said CNN, Yahoo, Microsoft or many more.

Wannabe smart ass...

dennisb, Apr 1, 2013 IP