1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does sitemap influence PR and other factors.

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by bengalicddvd, Jan 18, 2006.

Hi,

Please excuse me for posting this directly under Google forum instead of Google->Sitemaps forum.

Bengalicddvd.com is a new site launched in November' 2005. We have few links from PR 2 / 3 sites and one link from a PR 4 page of a site whose main page has PR 9. I started using Google sitemaps in December' 2005. Right after I uploaded my sitemap Google indexed about 30+ pages. But within a week of that indexing, count of my indexed pages went back to 8 pages. None of my product and category pages are available in Google. In addition to that, it is showing 0 back links. Before I used sitemaps, Google used to show 1 back link from a forum. This is consistent across all the datacenters.

I do not understand this behavior. Is it normal or should I be worried about possible loss of my PR?

Thanks
    Bengalicddvd.com

bengalicddvd, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  2. LinkBliss

LinkBliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Google just mixes things up regularly.. I suspect to keep people like you on your toes.. don't pay any attention. Looking at Google backlinks for a small or new site is practically worthless.

Eric

LinkBliss, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  3. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think sitemaps are typically good for PR. having a central location on your site which links to every other page on your site should allow the vast majority of pages to easily get indexed.

tesla, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  4. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd use sitemaps for any website, it can only help. As for boosting your PR, rankings, etc. probably not. In the long term having all your pages indexed will help but the process of SEO will ultimately get you the PR and rankings...

Jufcy8200, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  5. Cartman

Cartman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm in the minority here, but I really believe that sitemaps caused a problem for one of my sites.. I even made a thread about it on here:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=45677

In a nutshell, had a new site with 3700+ pages.. Figured I'd upload a sitemap to Google to make life easier. Instead of the page count going up, it dropped like a rock. Verified that the sitemap was compliant, couldn't figure out what was wrong. After almost a month with no change from G, I removed the sitemap. Within days, the pages indexed went from 2 to ALOT more.. As of today, it's sitting at 665. NOTHING changed except me removing the sitemap. No idea why it happened like that, but that site is finally getting traffic from G, so I'm happy.

I had really good results with a sitemap on another large site I have, but that was about 6 months ago.. I'm wondering if G changed something since then to prevent huge sites from instantly getting indexed if you submit a large sitemap.

Cartman, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  6. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried Pingoats sitemap submission tool?

tonyrocks, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  7. submitter999

submitter999 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i agreewith cartman in this , i just uploaded my sitemap 1 week before waited for 2 days i showed some errors ,i corrected and put again for verification now its verified and all my indexed pages are out!! now only 1(main) page indexed.and also my PR is turned into a"?" situation, actually before sitemap uploading i have a predict of PR3. but after that its UNKNOWN!!! see yourself here http://iwebtool.com/sefdb.info
    in a way am lucky that i learn this lesson just at PR3 which can be retained in a few days with some work.
    and thanks to cartman! am going to remove my sitemap from google immediately.

submitter999, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  8. Instigator

Instigator Peon

Best Answers:
    Xml sitemaps helped to index more pages when I first created it, but lately I seem to be losing pages if anything, despite creating many more.

Instigator, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  9. bengalicddvd

bengalicddvd Peon

Best Answers:
    I have now removed mine. Let's see wheather that will make any difference.

Thanks
    BengaliCDDVD.com

bengalicddvd, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  10. marketing

marketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    they can't hurt right? So what is the problem. If they can't hurt you with google listings isn't worth doing just in case it does benefit you?

marketing, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  11. submitter999

Best Answers:
    i am not sure in this , but ifeel that google is limiting you to the links submitted in xml sitemap.this could be okay with static projects but not with dynamic.
    however i removed mine and looking for results....
    one more thing i wish to say is i don't know DP submittedits sitemap or not but i found this post in google..i.e, it has been indexed with 24hrs!!! for keyword sefdb.info . so follow DP formula lol.

submitter999, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  12. submitter999

Best Answers:
    this is my sitemap update greate my future prediction got back to PR3!!! lol i am still building links hope it may raise to PR4 for next update.

submitter999, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  13. bengalicddvd

bengalicddvd Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not know what's happening. I am gradually loosing PR. I had PR 2, now 5 of the data centers are showing 0, a week back 2 of the data centers were showing 0. All this thing started after I uploaded my sitemaps. Though I removed my sitemap account 1 week back. Any idea what Google is doing with mu sites listing?

Thanks
    BengaliCDDVD

bengalicddvd, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  14. wallaceuk

wallaceuk Peon

Best Answers:
    I've removed my sitemap now because I lost loads of indexed pages AFTER using the sitemap, and now a few weeks in and now only 90 pages out of a possible 1500.

I won't be using it again, nor will I recommend using it, at least DEFINATELY on a site which already has a good spread of indexed pages.

wallaceuk, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  15. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    PR is ONLY determined by sites linking to your site. Content doesn't matter, optimization doesn't matter, sitemap doesn't matter. PR is 100% about links TO your site. Each page that links to you can pass approximately 85% of its PR, but this is divided between the number of outgoing links on the page. If you have a sitemap from homepage, it may help inner pages which are deeper than two clicks off your homepage, but it doesn't increase the homepage PR.

Indirectly, a higher quality site will probably have an easier time in getting people to link to the site, which would help PR.

I submitted about 20 sitemaps to google about 6 months ago and I haven't noticed any difference. Pages get added and dropped at about the same rate as before. Google has been hitting a lot of sites that they consider duplicate content. If you running an affiliate script, that might be your problem. If your site is all original, then I would say it is probably just "normal" google behavior and should get better as your site ages and picks up more backlinks.

mjewel, Feb 5, 2006 IP
  16. bengalicddvd

bengalicddvd Peon

Best Answers:
    My PR is now back to 0 though I have more incoming links and I do not have affiliate content.

Thanks
    BengaliCDDVD.com

bengalicddvd, Feb 6, 2006 IP