1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does SEO work for the little guy?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by michaelreyes, Sep 5, 2016.

The last time I did SEO was in 2012 when adding backlinks from Web 2.0 sites like Squidoo and Hubpages meant something. Nowadays people tell me that you have to be a high authority site in order to rank.

I currently own a blog that is pretty old now and is already getting visitors from "not provided" keywords in the search engines.

Is it possible for an ordinary blog to rank highly for micro niche keywords in 2016?

michaelreyes, Sep 5, 2016 IP
  2. Rachel Beckett

Rachel Beckett Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Having an old blog is with separate domain name actually has a good scope in terms of being visible but you will have to work on it. The content should be upbeat and fresh, new posts should have targeted keywords which help user understand your blog. The visibility factor also depends on the type of links you provide on your blog, how much you share your content on social media sites. Examples of links in a content can be best learnt at: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en.

Rachel Beckett, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  3. Jennina Alvizo

Jennina Alvizo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    The difference in SEO back then and now is that there are more things to consider such as over-optimizing the site or having irrelevant un-natural links coming to your site.

In 2012, quality links and content were not scrutinized as heavily as they are today by Google's ranking algorithm.
    You can still rank today if you are providing user-value in terms of consumption of the content. Targeting Micro Niche Keywords is the preferred way of SEO and content marketing this way. It is doable.

Try tracking your new niche keywords using tools like SEMRUSH so you are aware of what keywords are ranking for you, even if Google analytics only gives you (not provided) keywords, another way to check these keywords are by using Google webmaster tools under Search by queries function.

Hope that helps.

Jennina Alvizo, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  4. Saurabh Thakur

Saurabh Thakur Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If your domain is old then you have a good scope because Google trusted old domain is better compared to new one.
    You need to update your old posts and target good keywords on new posts. Write quality content that gives good information, interlink your blog page together and share posts on social channel. Back in 2012, the Google strategies are different. Now good quality content, natural backlinks play an effective role.

Saurabh Thakur, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes but it obviously depends on the keywords. The more competitive they are, the tougher it will obviously be to rank.

dcristo, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  6. Vikas Rana

Vikas Rana Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's say you have started a new site or blog (small player in the market). It can build up authority within 3 months. The best method to follow is keep the site as simple and ugly (means no too much flash, slides, java etc) and start building links to internal pages rather than home pg. Fix one or two keywords for each page for which you are building links and always use those keywords as anchor text.
    Make sure links are made one or two in a day, consistent in the first three months.
    Social media marketing is not required for SEO it is indirect ranking factor but not a direct one.
    Keep a check on page and domain authority via "moz bar tool". its a free tool. Within 3 months you have high probability to build up good authority for your site if you follow these steps.

Vikas Rana, Sep 6, 2016 IP
  7. billll

billll Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you ask me, I'm not that much into technical stuff or SEO. However, the only thing that always give me the best rest and make my website/blog rank high is the "Long-Tail Keyword". The long tail keywords always work like magic. Let's say, you write 1 article each day, on a long-tail keyword, with a few hundred views. In a month, you'll have 30 article and more than 20 articles will rank high and you'll be receiving a decent amount of traffic.

I in fact increase my all blogs' traffic like this. And, it always works like magic. And, I've said various times here, that I've seen a person who is currently earning $10,000+ each month, just because she's writing articles on the long-tail keywords. Though, I'm not that near to that amount, but around half I'm, in just 9-10 months, and I'm sure, I'll achieve that target as well in the next year.

It's a bit slow, but it works. And, pays well too.

billll, Sep 7, 2016 IP