1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Namecheap sell your information?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Drumrocker365, Jun 30, 2014.

Hello,

I always buy my domains from Namecheap.com, and it seems I get spam mail after purchasing (not directly after, sometimes months after) with subjects such as "CONGRATS ON REGISTERING <domain>." So, I'm wanting to get to the bottom of this. Is Namecheap selling my information to other companies, or is this the nature of buying domains with any registrar?

What are your ideas?

Thanks,
    Christian

Drumrocker365, Jun 30, 2014 IP
  2. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's the nature of it. Unless your buying privacy (to whatever degree that is...), your info is public to anyone. It's not so much the registrars, as it is the 3rd party sites/software that tap into the info, and your now on some losers mailing list. If your only buying a few domains, than get the privacy. If your buying a lot and don't want to spend the extra couple of bucks, expect lots of messages and phone calls daily from people you can't understand lol

sweetpea69, Jun 30, 2014 IP
  3. Drumrocker365

Drumrocker365 Member

Best Answers:
    True, I now realized I just get spam mail for domains that don't have Whois Protection. Lol didn't realize it was that simple.

Drumrocker365, Jun 30, 2014 IP
  4. mlmleads

mlmleads Member

Best Answers:
    There are feed collectors stripping all the whois on a daily basis.

I just use a dump address for the domains I don't care much about and leave the names I do on auto-renew.

mlmleads, Jul 5, 2014 IP
  5. DjCezar

DjCezar Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think a company with such a big name like NameCheap would ever sell your information, at least not in such a stupid way. I've been with them since they have proven to be huge protectors of internet freedom. Never had any problem. Use them without fear, activate whois prptection after domain purchase.

DjCezar, Jul 5, 2014 IP
  6. kalseo

kalseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Short answer is no. They don't sell domain names. Offer you received are probably from contacts scraped from Whois database.

kalseo, Jul 5, 2014 IP
  7. WebScavenger

WebScavenger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nobody really knows what these big companies (or small) do. I don't believe and hope Namecheap isn't selling info because I have a handful of domains with them. I keep mine on private and never really had too big of an issue with spam that I thought was tied to to Namecheap.

WebScavenger, Jul 6, 2014 IP
  8. GT6

GT6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Never purchased a domain without whois protection. Its a must for me and I think it works like firewall for domains.

GT6, Jul 20, 2014 IP
  9. Rizy

Rizy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've always used Namecheap and I do regularly get the spam email offering some sort of service related to an online service. I do however; see the same thing happen with many other registration companies. I don't believe this is a problem on Namecheaps' end.

Rizy, Jul 24, 2014 IP
  10. WebHostDog

WebHostDog Banned

Best Answers:
    Once your email in on the domain WHOIS it is easy to be grabbed. So better use WHOIS privacy protection in future (may be this one is lost already).

WebHostDog, Jul 25, 2014 IP
  11. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just wait until you own enough good domains that you start getting emails from lamers trying to sell you domain names that you already own!

FPForum, Aug 9, 2014 IP
  12. maddenitrous

maddenitrous Member

Best Answers:
    I use namecheap and I never got any spam emails from them, they are legitimate registrar.

maddenitrous, Aug 21, 2014 IP
  13. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    This. I get the same emails with domains not regged at namecheap.

dcristo, Aug 21, 2014 IP