1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does it make sense to start a website or blog on NFL from Europe?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by nnadalinn, Nov 28, 2014.

Hello everybody,

My message will be rather lengthy, so I'll greatly appreciate it if you bear with me. :)

I’m hugely enthusiastic about all things NFL, i.e. American football, but I happen to have been born on the other side of the pond and live in one of the formerly Communist countries in Europe, so I’m thinking of ways to turn this drawback into a sort of advantage by 'bumping it up a notch'. I've come up with an idea of starting a blog or website in my native tongue wherein pretty much all content would be a kind of summary of, say, 30 articles, rumors, etc. that I’ve read over any given day or two.
    It would be something like:
    “Redskins bench RG III yada yada yada”,
    that is a simple sentence or two like that (in my mother tongue, obviously), followed by a link to the article on one of the major sports sites in the U.S. where readers could then read the rest of the article concerned as long as they’re interested in it and speak English well enough to read it in detail.
    It would probably look similar to this: http://abnormalreturns.com/monday-links-valuation-estimates/

Obviously, none of the news articles would be my work, simply because:
    1. even attempting to provide my own ‘original’ news coverage is out of the question from this part of the world.
    2. I'm not enough of an expert to write my own analyses. Rather, all I’d do is simply a sort of news coverage based on links from reputable sources

Now on to my questions. These basically concern two aspects of this outlandish 'venture':
    1. Is it perfectly legal to do such ‘link festivals’, i.e. for the only content to be links (accompanied with a summary of the linked article in a sentence or two)?
    2. The viability of such a ‘venture’ is likely to be problematic in its own right. In other words, there are probably only several thousand people in this part of the world who are interested in NFL, so my website would probably get just a handful of visitors. On the other hand, there's no such website or blog devoted exclusively to NFL news in my country.

Alternatively, does anybody have an idea as to how I could 'leverage' my passion for NFL, possibly even monetize the content, from outside the States?Or am I only daydreaming here?
    Thank you!

nnadalinn, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Just a word of cation before you begin to heavily invest yourself into your idea. The NFL season lasts for about 5 months. For the other 7 months you site will probably be sitting stagnant. I love watching football, but in all honesty, from February (the end of the season) to September (its beginning) I don't think or care much about it and that's probably true for all other fans as well.

qwikad.com, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  3. nnadalinn

nnadalinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you @qwikad.com for taking the time to weigh in on my question. That's definitely a good point that does speak heavily against the idea. I did think of it myself, yet somehow I hoped that most people would be enthusiastic about NFL even during the off-season (particularly during scouting combines and drafts), but I certainly understand if it's not the case.

4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I should not have said "all other fans". I am sure there are hard core fans that follow the NFL news all year long, BUT... your site will be in your native language. That eliminates pretty much all those hard core fans (or reduces them to just a handful).

qwikad.com, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  5. nnadalinn

nnadalinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Indeed, so all in all this basically attests to the futility of my proposed 'venture'. Mind you, do you think it would make any sense to operate the site/blog in English (and with the same content as described above)? I suspect not, simply because the 'digital market' for NFL blogs, etc., must be oversaturated in the U.S.

6. usemyteam

usemyteam Member

Best Answers:
    I think people outside the US would love to read NFL updates especially that NFL is being viewed around the globe. Its not a daydream, I think it could be done. It's just like NBA where there many countries who are huge fanatics. Or let's say European Football which is highly viewed as well. So you can definitely test it out in one continent aside North America and then go global. As for your business strategy, start by creating a website.

usemyteam, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  7. usemyteam

usemyteam Member

Best Answers:
    In addition yes the person above is right that it is seasonal, so what would you do when the season ends?

usemyteam, Nov 28, 2014 IP
  8. nnadalinn

nnadalinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you @usemyteam for your reply! I beg to differ here though, I think that NBA has a lot larger audience the world over than NFL. What a shame then that I'm not into NBA at all. :)

9. rlymike

rlymike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ESPN and other major sports publications continue to write about the NFL in the off-season by highlighting things going on with the players and teams during the off-season. Your post rate will decline, but you should still be able to post during the off-season.

I think this is a great idea. You should have enough content to aggregate all year round.

rlymike, Nov 30, 2014 IP
  10. nnadalinn

nnadalinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you @rlymike for your support! :) I agree, there's always something going on in NFL, even during the off-season, so I'm not that worried about not having enough material to post. Rather, I'm more concerned with whether it'd actually attract enough page views to warrant getting advertisers to my blog/site. I mean, I'd probably wind up spending several hours on work related to the site, so it's not uncreasonable to expect some rewards for my efforts.

Courtesy of my wife's expertise in SEO, this aspect of the venture would be well taken care of, but even that might be futile if I don't attract enough people to visit my website. The thing is that I'm from a small country where there are perhaps only several thousand people who are interested in NFL. Perhaps I could run the site both in English and in my native tongue, albeit the content wouldn't probably be the same in both language versions then.

Second, I don't want to break any law by aggregating and/or translating the news snippets.

nnadalinn, Nov 30, 2014 IP