1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

does google really care about onpage seo?

Discussion in 'Google' started by darrens, Nov 1, 2007.

1. monfis

monfis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice one, Homer you are absolutly right! Applying onpage SEO with LSI in mind can save you a lot of work getting tons of backlinks to rank well! ;)

monfis, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  2. Hersheys

Hersheys Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on google on how they view the site. Google might rank your site based on links or in content. We can't really tell how many percent does google check on-page and off-page. Google has so many elements to consider in ranking a site.

Hersheys, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  3. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

The truth is I have been in a very intense learning program that doesn't come cheap for the last few months. Most of the program is based on the absolute certainty of LSI's existence in todays' Google. Because I forked over a chunk of change for this I had to first be convinced that it existed. This course I am taking illustrates (without doubt) that it does.

When I dig deeper on this subject I find Dr. E Garcia at the center (often get lost with his analasys). There are others, I notice allot of stone throwing amongst experts on this subject...they can't even agree. There are 2 people I REALLY listen to when it comes to the brass tacks of this amazing technology...Dr. Garcia and my current teacher. The funny thing is the experts all agree that there is some attempt of humanizing Google results, yet they use other descriptive terms.

A comment was made earlier in this thread about

It was said in a way where it needs more clarification. It is not as simple as start using expert verbiage and you'll rank well. Think about it if everyone started using the same expert terms Google will have to sort out who is the "real trusted" experts. Others may be seen as a form of duplication. In my opinion gaining a "trusted" status is very important. More important than writing like an expert. Perhaps more important than anything else related to ranking.

A little exercise here centered around promoting the keyword "favorite wine"

For the fun of it here's a question.

Q. What is your favorite wine?

1) Response Person one
    A. My favorite wine is red wine because red wine is good for the heart and it seems to bring out flavors that I would not normally taste in food.

2) Response Person two
    A. I really enjoy the taste of all wines of the world. My number 1 choice is Australian. I like Australian wine because of the nice bouquet. The flavor is even better when you cleanse your palette with cheese before drinking it. Also, take a look at the legs on the wine glass after giving it a little swish.

To every human that reads the 2 responses it is obvious (at least I think) who is the expert. Google would likely make the same choice...even though answer 2 doesn't mention the term "favorite wine". From one human to another human the answer is instant and clear who the expert is. To Google the answer will likely be the same but without a trusted status it may not. In answer 2 I have bolded the terms that Google may see as expert.

Here's another interesting note. Notice the feed in my profile "Writing Articles to Submit with LSI in Mind" This site is just starting to become trusted. If you query Google using exact phrase match it is Digitalpoint that comes up because they are trusted. In Google SERPS it links to another thread I posted at DP that has nothing to do with "LSI" but is entitled "How to check keyword ranking for GOOGLE?". That title phrase is sort of synonymous to LSI and was posted 2 days ago.

Bedit, bidit, bedit that's all folks :)

Elmar Fud

Homer, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  4. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    It's a pity you didn't listen to Dr Garcia before you wasted your money. He spends quite a bit of time warning naive users to stay away from the "LSI snake oil salesman" (his words not mine). For example this post here where he concludes "My take on all this? So far I have not seen any valid LSI tool from any current SEO firm. Do not let these marketing firms scam you".

I am sure if you wrote to him with the product name he would tell you exactly why you have wasted your money.

If you would rather not then you could respond to Mike Grehan's request "I'd really like to get some feedback from anyone who's bought into an SEO package with LSI optimization or reference to LSI built into it. I'd like to know what you got (or are getting) for your money. Or perhaps you just know some SEO firm Web sites suggesting they can optimize around LSI. Along with my dear friend and colleague Edel Garcia, I'd like to expose some of the nonsense written about LSI. And hopefully, for the last time, dispel some of the many myths that abound".

Last time I checked he hadn't received one credible response, not even from the snake oil salesman themselves.

- Michael

Michael, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  5. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It makes sense that Google would increase the value of content / LSI factors to combat link spam and improve the quality of it's search results.

bogart, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Michael, Michael, Michael sup with you?

I find it ridiculous for you to think that the doc and yourself are the only ones that are in the know with this technology, algo or whatever you guys want to call it.

If you knew 1/2 of what this 6 month to 1 year course teaches, I respectfully suggest that wouldn’t make such presumptuous comments.

I have always enjoyed your posts. You seem very knowledgeable especially with trustrank. For you to blatantly call anyone else a "snake oil salesman" is ludicrous. I can appreciate what you're saying, but please don't insult my intelligence to think that I would buy snake oil from a scammer. I read through allot of Dr. Garcia's stone slinging prior to making my decision.

I am not sure if the doc really believes the same. I don’t really know him, just read his stuff. If he does then I respectfully suggest that it is narrow thinking to think that no one else has a take on this.

Truly

H

Homer, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good description of some of his publications. In the article cited by Michael, for example, Dr. Garcia spends as much time slagging other people who disagree with him as he does talking about the issues. That detracts from his credibility.

minstrel, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  8. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    actually same thread which makes it even worse.

Blogmaster, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  9. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Just thought I would also add another creative term for Latent semantic indexing, sparse matrix and co-occurrence algorithms.

Phrase based information retrieval system

Patent filed June 28, 2006.

To those that think it does not exist, I think this provides pretty good evidence that it does.

When people query Google their goal is to get in your head. I am sure you have queried Google for something and Google says "did you mean..."

The point is Google has incredibly sophisticated ways of matching predictable phrases.

I buy into the idea that this all is a part of the Latent semantic indexing, sparse matrix and co-occurrence algorithm.

Just ask Anna Paterson- Google engineer :)

H

Homer, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  10. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Personally I don't claim a unique perspective. There are thousands of people who understand LSI and there are very good text books on the subject for those that don't but would like to, Handbook of Latent Semantic Analysis for example.

What is interesting to me is how the myth that search engines use LSI on large non-homogeneous document collections came about, because it certainly did not originate from anyone who knows what LSI is. And now that the use of LSI in search engine algos is a prevalent (but inaccurate) meme it is hardly surprising that unscrupulous people try to make money from it.

Now we are getting somewhere Homer!

The patent to which you refer is one of a raft of interconnected patents:

Multiple index based information retrieval system

Phrase-based searching in an information retrieval system

Phrase-based indexing in an information retrieval system

Phrase-based generation of document descriptions

Phrase identification in an information retrieval system

Detecting spam documents in a phrase based information retrieval system

They have nothing to do with LSI but they do warrant a very good look if you are interested in SEO. The first and in many ways the most interesting thing to do with them is devise and construct tests so that you can see which individual elements of the patents are actually in use. It's not easy...

Anyway I think I have made my point in this thread concerning the misuse of the term LSI but if anyone has any detailed questions you are welcome to leave them on seo-blog.com under the appropriate LSI post and I will do my best to answer them.

- Michael

Michael, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  11. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    That was my general feeling as well. He knows what he is talking about on a very technical level, though. Truthfully, I cannot follow all of his mathematical formulas like Michael could. He also appears to get angry when people (snake salesmen) misuse or misrepresent the term. I totally agree with that.
    On the other hand Google does not disclose how they use and connect algorithms which leaves allot to guess work.

Thanks for posting those other patents. I was aware of a couple of them, gonna read the others.
    I still cannot help but think this is all connected in some way. The course I am taking connects the dots so we understand how to put the power to the pavement.

The reason I signed up is because they translate all the technical mathematics behind algos and tell you what it means. You know the stuff that is hard to follow for most people. They are not trying to sell you any magic SEO bullet with false promises. It is education and an amazing application that reduces allot of the necessary research down to 10% of the time it would normally take. Worth every penny. Ultimately I can generate a search engine proven blueprint for any topic from index to silos to articles. With the right research, the market (what the people want) will tell you how to how to structure your site and compose articles...long tails, expert verbiage, KW density, synos, etc.

I am finding that I spend 90% of my time researching a vertical market and 10% building sites now. Before this course it was the opposite for me.

Basically Research=Strategy.
    No Research= Short Term.

Also, none of this approach results in overnight success most of the time. Although I did make a blue print for a client last month that emailed me last week..."OMG, look I am ranked under blah blah". So it took about 1 month to get top ten ranking with 3 incoming links from the same theme.

I sort of agree :). Everything is connected.

H

Homer, Nov 4, 2007 IP
  12. golfpro1

golfpro1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google and the rest of the search engines certainly care about On-page SEO, or else how would they know how to rank a site for certain keywords?

golfpro1, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  13. flightsunite

flightsunite Peon

Best Answers:
    Unique content with meta tags, and some good back links are helps to SERPs.

flightsunite, Oct 18, 2011 IP