1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Google index PDFs files sent with Content-Disposition: attachment ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by JamesColin, Jan 14, 2016.

Hello,

I generate PDF files on the fly.
    I have the option to use Content-Disposition: attachment; in the http header in order to force the save dialog box.
    This has the advantage to make sure the users download the PDF files on their computer for future use.

I'd like to know if Google indexes PDF files on servers sending the Content-Disposition response in the http header ?

I've been unable to find this information, and from memory I can't recall a time where I clicked on a PDF file on the google search results and have the save dialog box open automatically, that's why I'm asking you here.

I know of the ext: pdf search operator to look for PDF files, but it's not common for servers or php scripts to use this Content-Disposition response, so I don't know how to look for such files in Google index.

Thank you if you can answer me or point me somewhere.

JamesColin, Jan 14, 2016 IP
  2. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Since I think nobody knows, or you would have replied by now, I'd like to mention that there is a new attribute to html5 "A" tag : download which is partially supported by different browsers.
    Like so : <a href:"/somefile.pdf" download>text anchor</a>
    you can also write download="newname" (browser detects and adds .pdf by itself) in order to save the file under another name than the original file.
    So far IE and safari don't support it, and firefox does support it only for same domain.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    JamesColin, Jan 15, 2016 IP
  3. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi, someone on another forum showed me a google query which shows a PDF file being saved automatically, not displayed in the browser.
    So the answer to my original question is yes.

JamesColin, Jan 20, 2016 IP