1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

does google even use the sitemap data I send them!?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by saneinsight, Nov 14, 2006.

hi,

I recently redeveloped my site and my page count went from about 310 to over 2200. I submit a sitemap to google automatically every day but still, when I use the site: operator, google tells me I only have the old site pages. It's messing up my serp results. any idea's on how I can get google to acknowledge the fact that my site has grown? I would have thought that submitting an accurate sitemap would be a no brainer, but apparently not.

Thanks
    Sane

saneinsight, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  2. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    How long have you waited? It can take sometimes take a long time before Google acknowledges your new pages. Check in your Sitemaps account for any error messages or warnings...

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  3. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I began submitting the updated sitemap on 25 September. So it is almost 2 months now. grrrr. I have 8 not-found error messages. Within a sitemap of 3125 URL's I wouldn't have thought it would be a big problem. I get a Status of 'OK' after the daily submit. Any idea's?

saneinsight, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  4. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    I submitted it on Sept 12, and got updated on Qct 1st. So please be patient and give google some time.

hhheng, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  5. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is "Qct 1st" October? If so that's just three weeks. :confused:

saneinsight, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  6. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Huh? It's November now, so that makes it 7 weeks...

Cryogenius, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  7. Silver89

Silver89 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    are they dynamic pages/

Silver89, Nov 15, 2006 IP
  8. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    they are dynamic pages, but i've taken care of the appended parameters using mod_rewrite to create pretty urls. why do you ask dan?

saneinsight, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  9. Silver89

Silver89 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    oh same as my site and then got indexed very fast by search engines.

Use google sitemaps and it seems succesfull for me

Silver89, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  10. mhmdkhamis

mhmdkhamis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    use daily site map

mhmdkhamis, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  11. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    well thanks for the input mhmdkhamis! Next time read the thread before posting a useless comment.

saneinsight, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  12. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You probably screwed yourself royally

You had 200 pages and apparently did not add to those numbers on a steady basis..

Then one day you went from 200 to 3000+

Google sees this megajump which makes no sense since you never added content before... and determines you were out to do something "artifical" to boost you rankings....... Not a good idea....

Also just because you add a bunch of pages does not mean Google will run and index them all...Read your stats and watch the bot ...it picks up a small amount of pages...looks them over and if you are not a spammer will come back and pick up a few more pages.

But with your 1000% increase in content its likely you have a filter in place at this point.

Sem-Advance, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  13. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Build links to the new content. Google will pick it up at some point.

kh7, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  14. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    Sem-Advance, just for you, i'm including a screenshot of my keyword stats, taken today.
    [​IMG]

Some of those keyword phrases get over 3000 searches a DAY. So how royally screwed do you think i am? BTW, I was adding 1 page a day to the 200+ page older version of the site. RSS is a wonderful thing.

You can go on thinking all you want about page increase, and jumping to 2000 pages overnight, as bad things google doesn't like. It simply isn't true. Why do so many people on this site think that google are out to get everyone!? I send a site map to them everyday. I get about 250 referals from google a day. 10 times what I got 2 months ago. Google crawl my site, they return every hour. Around the beginning of the month they download over 40MB worth of pages. I wouldn't call that a little, would you?

I'm sure google realize by now, that their 'model' of how a website should evolve isn't realistic 100% of the time. My extra content wasn't artificial solely to boost my rankings. I literally do have over 1900 new products. I'm sure google must realize that developments are released at milestones, and that has nothing to do with daily growth. So by your thinking, google is gonna penalize any web-based company for increasing product range over-night? You still think it's not a good idea? Go look at my stats again my friend.

saneinsight, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  15. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:

Well considering online pharmacy and drugstore were just tanked recently I don't know how well you could have done with the terms.

Part of what I spoke of is related to lesser sites than your own. Hard to be dead accurate when not knowing all the parts.

Lastly I do not feel Googles out to get anyone.....if you read my history at all, you would see I am a strong advocate of just the opposite. ;)

Good luck and I hope your keywords dont tank again.

EDIT : Your site is down

Sem-Advance, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  16. saneinsight

saneinsight Guest

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by 'tanked'? Dropped out the SERPS?

saneinsight, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  17. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Yes the green Montly change number indicates the keyword term moved Upwards 9,974 or so odd spaces to the current number.

So ergo the rankings were not there according to your own measure.

Sem-Advance, Dec 7, 2006 IP