1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Google always display the highest paying ad?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by crazyhorse, Jun 21, 2005.

If that would be true wouldnt it then be smarter to have two ads only in the top of the page instead of 4 ads. Im wondering whether that will increase my overall earnings. I havnt tried it yet myself , and i will but i was just wondering whether anyone seen this before.

crazyhorse, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  2. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's true, but at the other hand if these highest paying ads are of no interest for your visitors and you limit your ads then you get nothing at all.

It's a personal choice to make. Most of the time lower paying ads are of more interest.

Arnie, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Isnt that just because they need to be more creative/smart because they cant compete/bid the amount that the top paying companies can. Im going to try it for today and im really interested to see what it will do at the end of the day.

4. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the first 2-3 ads are highest bid ads... that should be the logic behind advertising too. If I am bidding highest, why should I expect my ad at the bottom in a page where three ad units are displayed. logical huh?

maverick, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  5. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
  6. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    There is more beyond logic. If im not mistaking you can outrank advertisers who pay more then you do as a adwords advertisers by using certain techniques. That means you as advertiser dont always have the top position. Thus me as a publisher wont get my highest bid.

7. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    If advertisers can be outranked, that would be by highest paying advertisers.. true. But if someone is bidding for mesothelioma keyword, and whoever would be the highest paying, those ads would be displayed on my site. But yeah, google does not give you highest paying ad, as they must be sorting out the big publishers, mid pubs and small pubs.. or I would have got $84 paying mesothelioma ads, but at max I got $7 paying meso ad as of now. Which proves that, google must be giving u some smaller advertiser's ads if u r a smaller publisher. Any thoughts?

maverick, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  8. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    From what I was told the ads displayed rank from the highest adWord bids to the lowest, not adsense worth. The first ads may actualy pay less in your adsense account then the last ads shown, but they cost the adwords purchaser more.

bluegill_catcher, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  9. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How does that prove it?

It couldn't be that everyone and their brother has a meso site these days (and has for a while) could it? Supply and demand.

MattL, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  10. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the highest paying ads are always shown first, then why do I sometimes see image ads at the bottom of a site and text ads at the top? You would think the image ad would taken precedence.

MattL, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  11. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    If you might have heard, lots of people used to get Meso ad clicks worth $20-30... I never got that. You might browse thru different threads which discuss about highest paying keywords ... I never got any clicks worth $10+ .. may be because mine are just started not so popular blogs.. this might not prove what I wanted to say, but it can be one of those criterias for google, which will prevent them paying huge amounts to any XYZ publisher who is writing a page and pulling the adsense ads.

maverick, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  12. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course I have heard. I'm up on the industry. My point is that by the time you started your site there were already hundreds of other new ones you had to compete with.

It's been a couple years since the "Meso craze" happened. that niche is totally saturated now.

It's simple supply and demand. When their are more sites for ads to be displayed, advertisers can get their ads displayed for lower bids. It drives down the price of the bids.

MattL, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  13. bluegill_catcher

bluegill_catcher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Image ads shouldnt appear before text ads, since image ads always have that 'banner' look, and have less clicks than text ads

bluegill_catcher, Jun 27, 2005 IP