1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does google adwords affect your natural search ranking?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by blogdude, Nov 23, 2007.

1. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been at this for over 7 years - one doesn't impact the other. You can believe it or not, that's up to you. I could go on and on about tests I've participated in, people I've interacted with Google, etc and it could be argued that still isn't "proof". That's ok, I'm not trying to prove anything. Just trying to save people the time they will waste on this theory.

josephspencer, that's incorrect from start to finish. If you want to think using AdWords somehow directly influences your position in the natural results you're more than welcome to but you're way off base. Assume for a minute they do actively crawl (btw, reading/indexing the page content is not the same thing as actually following/crawling the links within) javascript - do you really think they would weigh their own paid ads (adsense) when ordering the natural results? That would just be bad business.

Anyway, everyone's free to believe whatever they want.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 27, 2008 IP
  2. CustardMite

CustardMite Peon

Best Answers:
    No. It doesn't.

It doesn't make any sense for Google to lie about it - in fact, I can't remember a single occasion where Google have lied about how any of their systems work (feel free to jump in here).

I've managed many campaigns, some with brand new sites and no presence on the 'natural' search results, others which are all over the top of the 'natural' search results, and have been for years. There's simply no causal effect between the two.

It is true that certain things can affect them both - for example, writing a lot of new content can improve your 'natural' and paid search results. Perhaps this is what you've seen.

I'm always skeptical when somebody 'knows' something is true because they've 'seen' it happen 'in their experience'.

I refer you back to my (increasingly anti-social) socks example...

CustardMite, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  3. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no it doesnt affect it... but being indexed and ranked can effect your bid/QS but not the reverse

xboxundone, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  4. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't see any truth in that statement either.

GuyFromChicago, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  5. visualjava1216

visualjava1216 Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not sure coz im using Google for one month now,,,, but when i paused my campaigns,,,, natural traffics comes in though,,,

visualjava1216, Mar 28, 2008 IP
  6. PPC-Coach

PPC-Coach Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zero effect on natural listings.

PPC-Coach, Mar 29, 2008 IP
  7. needforumposters

needforumposters Member

Best Answers:
    It does. I'm 100% sure.
    Increasing your budget won't increase your search ranking.
    But lowering your adword budget or even stop your ad will definitely LOWER your ranking.

Google have a team manage such kind of penalty manually. Every time I was contacted by their sales rep (by phone, or by email) to ask me to increase my adwords budget. My search ranking will be lowered immediately.

Here is my case:
    1) I stopped my adwords for 2 months (budget from $10000 to $0). I was contacted by google sales rep by phone. They want to understand why I stopped the adword campaign.Next day, The rank of my main keyword dropped from #9 to #40 within 1 week!
    2) Yesterday I was contacted by email. This time a guy from ireland. They ask me to increase the adword daily budget. And today I found my rank dropped from #14 to #18. yes, in 1 day.

So it is bull shit if you tell me google is a saint. They do de-rank your search manually if they don't pay them well enough with your adword.

needforumposters, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  8. AgrInd

AgrInd Peon

Best Answers:
    This sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory to me. All supposition, zero evidence.

Just because things seem to affect each other does not mean that they do.

I have never seen any evidence that one affects the other...and I doubt anyone else has either.

AgrInd, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  9. sgooey

sgooey Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that it doesn't. But I will say that you may have gone down
    because of the length of time people spend on your webpage.
    That is something Google tracks now - I believe.

sgooey, Jan 13, 2009 IP