1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does God exist?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by scylla, May 13, 2009.

1. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But theism has proof, right?

Are you unaware that when someone makes a claim, i.e. that there is a god, they have to provide the proof?

In a court of law, do we ask the defendants to prove they're innocent?

BRUm, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  2. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Theism is based on faith. Not science.

And the claim that 'there is no god' holds no proof either. Atheists just like to imagine that everybody else should bear the burden of proof because they got diddly squat proof for the claim 'there is no god'.

Consider a guy who has not one iota if there is a god or not. You just met the dude on an island. Clearly an atheist telling him 'there is no god' should be able to provide proof for that position. What you're met with is the usual incoherent dribble that 'well, the other side really should go first, cause like. Well. Just because damit!.'

Atheism. The greatest (smallest?) belief system in the world with not one shred of fact behind it.

rockyg, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  3. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Aslong as humans can't see past their nose, you can believe whatever you want to believe. Even there's a magic city in the sky, and when you die you can go up there and eat lots of cake! If that type of creative thinking floats your boat. Personally I search for logic rarther than brash ideas that decended in chinese whispers.

Seqqa, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  4. Gerinja

Gerinja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nostradamus?. i won't talk about him because i don't know about him

we are created in his image.... you may think this is talking about physical body? well it be referring that God is
    1. Father,
    2. Son, And
    3. Holy Spirit

and we humans are:
    1. Body
    2. Soul
    3. Spirit

For our better understanding we say that God is a He as it says on the bible, but it also says that God is Spirit... if you think about it it will come to you...don't expect to be spoon fed.

"You try and explain something with your own personal ideas"

well, you don't explain something with your own personal ideas? then whose ideas you use? --- this would be nonsense to the anyone with logic.

if what i believe or write has no impact on your emotional well being, then why you bother responding to me so eagerly??

you just enjoy debates and pointing out flaws?

how you know they are flaws.. you dismiss the possibility of being wrong? that is what is seriously wrong!! how do you know you are so right?

Gerinja, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  5. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:

Me too. I like logic. I love facts. I positively fall over myself when proof presents itself. Such a shame atheism has none of these. In a way atheists are worse than religious folks. Not only do atheists put forth a belief with no proof, but they also believe there is a factual basis for their beliefs as opposed to a religious person acknowledging their belief is based on faith. Kind of a fantastic double delusion if you will. Poor sods. Still, whatever gets their boat floated I suppose. I mean, on one hand they believe in dreams despite no proof except a bunch of mankind running around claiming dreams are real. Yet on the other hand atheists don't believe in god despite an equal lack of proof. A la carte atheism. You couldn't make it up :p

rockyg, Sep 10, 2010 IP
    Gerinja likes this.
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Gerinja and rockyg seem to be a century behind the times. Let's introduce them to Russell's Teapot:
    If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.​

Will.Spencer, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  7. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then look him up. You can't have a very wide knowledge if you don't know Nostradamus.

So because you say that god has no gender, that must be true? I've heard the complete opposite from different religious people. Whether you're conscious of it or not, you're still giving opinion as facts and with authority. I haven't seen a single shred of something that could resemble proof on the matter. For that, I'm not going to bother replying to this gender issue, for we keep going around in circles because you simply can't grasp my point.

Mmmmm no. You use facts not opinion. You're using the latter. For instance, you said "I think Jesus did this because" - where is the evidence to support the claim? You gave the game away with "I think...".

I respond in the same way to all my opponents in debates. Also, we have engaged in a conversation for the past several posts, why would I suddenly ignore you? I'm trying to show you why you're wrong.

Come on, drop the narcissism. It's nothing personal. You're supposed to find flaws in any argument within a debate. I'm not stating I'm never wrong, we all make mistakes sometimes.

You really are finding it hard to differentiate which parts of my sentences apply to you personally and which apply to generalities, such a debate. I'd be worried, and I'm being very sincere.

I feel I've been too generous to let these issues continue when they're beside the point of the thread. Gerinja, present your proof that there even is a god. We'd all like to see facts, not something written in a book which has no sources or citations, nor any allegories.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    BRUm, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    No doubt! I'd love to see proof that there is a god. That would be awesomely cool!

Until that happens though, I remain an Atheist.

Will.Spencer, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  9. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Yawn. 1st year stuff. If I was to point to a room with a locked door and told you categorically there was absolutely no way there was a chair in that room would you believe me?

For you to agree with me you'd have to be a fool. After all, I've presented no fact that would lead you to agree I was telling the truth. Science would agree if I was to say there is no proof for or against the existence of a chair therefore we may only theorize on its existence. It in the absence of proof it is not factual to say there is or is not a chair in the eyes of science.

Sadly, many atheists delude themselves into thinking their beliefs are founded on science. Whatever gets them through the day I suppose.

rockyg, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  10. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But Faith is better? Faith = lack of thinking and jumping to huge conclusions.

See, we can play arrogance too.

We're still waiting for some real evidence though.

BRUm, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  11. pratishtha

pratishtha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    for me God exists for sure.. you can't deny the fact of some ruling power..

pratishtha, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  12. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure there's a ruling power, it's called the laws of physics.

BRUm, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  13. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    Can't argue with that.

Seriously, how can you argue with that kind of intelligence?

Roman, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  14. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you believe in fairies?

stOx, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  15. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

There is no similarity within the Garden, no leaf nor blade of grass is the same nor grain of sand - there is no physics to religion only physical states that each prospers by its own reasoning for its existence and seeking fulfillment through destinations if reached as the purpose of its creation with the reward of everlasting existence when accomplished, that must be earned by the principals of the Creator.

The Atheist triumph will never be more than their own grave per their own design, physics....and again, good riddance.

Breeze Wood, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  16. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You say that, but you take for granted those very laws every day. No one lives past life, so you'll be rotting in the same way we all will one day. You're kidding yourself that you'll reach this "special place". You can't face the fact that everything simply ends. You're weak and scared of nothingness.

BRUm, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  17. alldaylinks

alldaylinks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe in the Sun! That is all.

alldaylinks, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  18. Gerinja

Best Answers:
    I say what i think in the matter as logical thinking, not as an authority and claiming it 100% true.

sure i could be wrong like i said before, but you can be wrong too, . why would you suddenly ignore me? because you would not care what i thought, and has no impact on your emotional being... right? i mean that is just logical, don't you think?

didn't we talked about this before??? i said whatever i present to you as proof, you will just disregard it as proof, friend... say if i have some orange seeds and tell you its proof i was eating an orange? i do not think me telling you would convince you that is true... though it may be true. you as a "rational thinker" would not come to conclusion that is a 100% lie. but that is exactly what you do! disregard the bible as possible proof... so much for your rational thinking...

please answer me this (simple yes or no answer) if you were to see God yourself in your room, all by yourself and he told you: "I am God" then disappeared. would you believe there is a God then? would that count as proof to you?

Gerinja, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  19. Gerinja

Best Answers:
    [video=youtube;HiVgKYjik1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVgKYjik1Q[/video]

jump to minute 5: 00 to hear about the teapot revolving around the sun Mr. Spencer and see how ridiculous it sounds

Gerinja, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  20. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean about faith. I never said faith was better, just atheism and religion are both simply beliefs, neither having the backing of scientific fact.

Religion and Atheism are founded on beliefs, a faith or belief in a theory. Neither are founded on fact. Neither has anything to do with science. I should mention that when I refer to atheism I am applying it to the 'God does not exist' category.

Saying God does exist as a statement of fact should of course require proof. The opposite also applies. In the absence of same the default position is to accept that as a factual statement both are incorrect. Until science can 'open the door' neither has any scientific merit. They are both simply statements of belief.

rockyg, Sep 11, 2010 IP