1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does anyone use the 'whos.amung.us' tool? Help

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by pistons125, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello everyone!

If you are not familiar to the 'whos.amung.us' tool, it tracks in real time how many users are on your website. Anyways, I have been using this for MONTHS. Now all of the sudden, I have received several e-mails from AVG Anti-Virus users saying AVG picked up a threat coming from this tool. I have removed this tool, and since then, there have been no virus threats. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

If anyone has AVG (I use avast), can you check out my second site (www.savespark.com) and tell me if a 'virus threat' comes up? I have not removed the 'whos.amung.us' tool from my second site. If no virus threat comes up, I want to put the code back onto my main site

pistons125, Apr 4, 2011 IP
  2. Sachin Kumar

Sachin Kumar Peon

Best Answers:
    How Can We use this there is now showing any option for submitting the url.

Sachin Kumar, Apr 4, 2011 IP
  3. so3

so3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Same problem here, and decided to remove it from toolbar(I had the http://www.wibiya.com toolbar addon on my site).

so3, Apr 4, 2011 IP
  4. pistons125

pistons125 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Glad i'm not the only one.. thanks. It's sad that this was an awesome tool, but this virus thing is not worth it. I couldnt keep the tool on my site, otherwise my readers would can easily walk away within a matter of seconds :(

I e-mailed whos.amung.us, 3 days ago, with no reply yet

5. wau_chris

wau_chris Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi guys, Chris from whos.amung.us here.

We had a false positive with AVG that got sorted out on March 31, if you are still getting any sort of virus alert try manually updating your virus definitions and check again. I just checked your site (savespark.com) and I don't get any alerts with AVG (2011 full versions Internet Security). Of course if you are still getting alerts if you could let me know where and what you are seeing and with what AV program that would be great so we can get that fixed up ASAP. The code is safe that much I can guarantee, but we do end up with false positives from time to time that have to be sorted out.

Pistons125, I went through all the email and I don't see anything from your handle here or with your site URL you mentioned, did you file it through the contact page (http://whos.amung.us/contact/)?

wau_chris, Apr 4, 2011 IP
  6. pistons125

pistons125 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Chris, Yes I e-mailed you guys about three days ago, with no reply. I did include my main site, which I don't want to share here. So will users still get the Virus threat detected with your widget? I want to know if and when it will be good to use?

7. wau_chris

wau_chris Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Pistons, can you PM me with your site URL and your email address?

Your users shouldn't be getting any warnings as the problem was solved with an AVG update March 31, though if you want to be safe you may want to wait a few days to ensure that users have the latest definition files (most people should by now though). I don't get any warnings on your second site URL listed above.

wau_chris, Apr 4, 2011 IP
  8. pistons125

pistons125 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure! I'll PM You now :)

9. Mekster

Mekster Peon

Best Answers:
    i have been using whos.amung.us but no anit virus pops out. Maybe Chris was right, its all about AVG.

try wibiya, they have whos.amung.us tool in their toolbar.

Mekster, Apr 11, 2011 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.