1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does anyone use Free Webhosting?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by curtisdawson, Feb 26, 2010.

Anyone here use free web hosting, or is it just not even worth it?

curtisdawson, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  2. writesalot

writesalot Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely,
    I use my5gigs.com as you can do just about all the same things as a paid site.

writesalot, Feb 26, 2010 IP
    tajo likes this.
  3. alimog

alimog Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I pay for my hosting. Considering it works out at less than $10 a month. I get the peace of mind that my sites will be up and stay up and the host will not pack up and leave you stranded.

alimog, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  4. mmeadows

mmeadows Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly I recommend using paid hosting. If you don't have the money or you want to start a website that won't make ends meet. Write a blog. Blogger or Wordpress are amongst the best blogging platforms.

mmeadows, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  5. harrisonford

harrisonford Peon

Best Answers:
    always better to pay and get control of what your doing

harrisonford, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  6. Arttu

Arttu Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use free hosting but when I started getting some traffic I started paying for it.

Arttu, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  7. wau

wau Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I used to use free hosting at the very beginning, when I started out on the web years ago...

I've found that it is a brilliant way to test and learn, but not if you are serious about doing business.

Why?

Free hosting is mostly ad supported and they can stop their services at any time, without notice!

I have even tried the lifetime hosting with a big company back then... same difference.

So my conclusion:

Free hosting is good or even great for newbies and to learn about setting up a few things,
    like your first websites etc.

A good testing and learning environment if you will..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    wau, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  8. mattrix329

mattrix329 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, free hosting is NOT worth it. Why? Simply because they can drop you without a moments notice. All the time invested, your hard work, the money in advertising/content creation etc down the drain in less then a second. (yes it's happened to me) :(

mattrix329, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  9. Timelord1969

Timelord1969 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have run both free and paid hosting companies. If you have any kinda serious site - pay the 5 a month to ensure uptime, support, and availability.

With a payment there is some sense of accountability

Timelord1969, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  10. atomicvenom

atomicvenom Peon

Best Answers:
    sixserve.com No, I am not affiliated with them in any way other than hosting a couple sites there. They give you as much control as a paid host ie; cpanel, etc..

They also offer unlimited bandwidth and storage space. Server speed is at about a 7 on an overall 1-10 scale. I had some problems in the beginning about my sites not loading, but lately it's been much better.

I am trying something new to see what happens. My project right now consists of starting a few sites on these free hosting platforms with free co.cc domain names. I am also using many "free" marketing strategies to see how that all plays out. My goal is to run about 5 sites with free hosting/domain names, and implement many "free" marketing strategies. Now I am sure that this is many peoples goal. I want to see how this plays out.

As far as worries about your site being shutdown unexpectedly you should always back up your files by keeping a local copy of everything. It's as simple as using FTP, and phpmyadmin. It really depends on what script (if any) you are using.

atomicvenom, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  11. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Pay for your web hosting. For the company that gives you free hosting can also take it away.

rmartish, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  12. MrPeters

MrPeters Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't even know that free hosting excisted lol,
    I'm just into the whole webhosting scene etc...

MrPeters, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  13. grandma

grandma Peon

Best Answers:
    I pay for hosting, it's just better that way you never know if the free hosting might just decied someday to just close up there website and not do it anymore then where will you be, sol. If you pay for hosting you will feel more secure knowing that they will still be there tommorrow and your site will still be up and running.

grandma, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  14. Fervid

Fervid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never touch free hosting. Hosting is cheap these days. There's no reason to use free services. You're just asking for trouble.

Not all of them are shady but a LOT of WPMU sites have started to wait for free blogs to start getting traffic, TOS them for some arbitrary violation and then redirect their traffic.

Fervid, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  15. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    From my expirience on it's not even worth a try. You don't have to spend much money to get a reliable host and in most cases paid hosters have better support

Sensei.Design, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  16. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    Considering how affordable hosting services have become, free hosting is hardly worth the frustration.

inspiroHost, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  17. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The way that i see it my sites are my form of revenue so i have to have reliable hosting that is why i have dedicated servers with a reliable host,i guess they are great for starting out and some are more reliable than others.

Mega B, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  18. expertofexperts

expertofexperts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Free word is nothing but a waste of time. With free hosting you will be bounded with huge number of factors and there is nothing that can help you get good ranking in any search engine...

expertofexperts, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  19. Shappy

Shappy Peon

Best Answers:
    it isnt worth it dude, your site will be full of shit, like advertising links everywhere, and wont look good no skin or anything, so in my opinion use that costs at least 1$/month

Shappy, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  20. Timelord1969

Timelord1969 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree. Most of the major free hosters do not inject ads onto users sites. They make their money by ads on the home page (and every other page that is non specific to a user), having you upgrade to a paid plan/

Timelord1969, Feb 27, 2010 IP