1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

does anyone here have experience with writing press releases?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by hulo, Jan 16, 2006.

I'm in the middle of writing one for my site and was hoping for some constuctive input if someone here has already done it. Thanks in advance! :)

hulo, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  2. Darkhodge

Darkhodge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not that experienced at writing press releases but why not publish it on here so we can give you feedback?

Darkhodge, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  3. hulo

hulo Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, can't really publish it here.

All done though.

hulo, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  4. DSR

DSR Member

Best Answers:
    I am lookign into writing a press release for my new site as well. I'm a complete noob at these things and apologize ahead of time for any elementary questions.

Any resources you could direct me to? Where do yous end them once they're completed?

Thanks! :)

DSR, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  5. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    rmccarley, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  6. DSR

DSR Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much Rmccarley! By any chance, do you offer PR services? Do you have a website (i didn't see one in that thread)? I may be interested in yoru services.

DSR, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  7. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I can do that. I have not listed services on my site (14thc.com) but that is one of them. :)

rmccarley, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  8. WebWriter

WebWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    WebWriter, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  9. UrbitasMedia

UrbitasMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    I've written several press releases for my sites. They are really formulaic, and very easy to create if you have a good example. Here is a press release I created last week to document the growth of my photo album.

Notice how in the third paragraph I quoted myself. This is very common. Also you chould always include an About Your Company.

Once I finish my press release I post it on PRWeb.com for free. They have a good following and several companies seem to pickup their releases. Also include a link to your site. This will increase your Incoming Links as more people pick-up the release. PRweb also rates the quality of your release I almost always get a 4 our of 5. This seems to help with the pick-up.

UrbitasMedia, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  10. kschill

kschill Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey all, I'm a newbie but I've stumpled upon freelancewriting.com a while back. They have tons of writers looking for work, i.e. content and press releases.:)

kschill, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  11. DSR

DSR Member

Best Answers:
    How do you submit press release so specific agencies recieve them? Like say i want to send them to a specific newspaper, news agency, company, etc? I'm assuming not all companies have press release submissions. I'm confused :(

DSR, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  12. UrbitasMedia

UrbitasMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    DSR: Most of my press releases are in the Real Estate industry. If you use PRWeb.com to distribute your release, they let you choose an industry, and they usually have sites that subsribe to specific industries. You can always email your press release directly to the magazine or newspaper editor. Most of the time they will do a re-write of the press release.

If you want to do anything fancy you will probably have to pay an Ad Agency, and that would cost $$$.

UrbitasMedia, Jan 16, 2006 IP
  13. I4Consulting

I4Consulting Peon

Best Answers:
    I swear there was someone on here that wrote press releases for people.. For good prices too..

I4Consulting, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  14. 3dPrinting

3dPrinting Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks rmccarley and WebWriter!

I've been searching for information on how to write a PR and here it is. :) You both are awesome.

This makes it even more exciting to always come back to Digital because of people like you.

Once again ... Mahalo nui loa! (Thank you very much!) :)

BB

3dPrinting, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  15. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't advertise it, but I do some PR work for some of my clients. If you're just looking for an overview and editorial comments, shoot me an email via my profile and I'm happy to give it a look time permitting for a fellow DPer :)

Falco85 does press release writing in mulitple languages very inexpensively.

wrmineo, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  16. falco85

falco85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I am available to manage your press release :) feel free to contact me for details.

falco85, Jan 19, 2006 IP
  17. Copywriter

Copywriter Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to target a specific newspaper then your best bet is to find out who the editor is of the section you want your press release to appear in (business, sport, entertainment, news etc) or which journalists on the paper cover your subject area, and send it to them direct. (You can normally find email addresses through the paper's website, or by calling them up and asking).

I used to be a newspaper journalist (and now write and distribute press releases) and seriously, I don't know any journalists or editors who pick up press releases from free distribution sites. Find the journalists email address and send it to them direct :)

Copywriter, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  18. alexn

alexn Peon

Best Answers:
  19. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Good points no doubt, having the ability to send directly to a journalist or an editor is great.

However, I have been contacted many times, as well have been clients for whom I've written stuff for, after doing PR submission via services on the Internet.

Why not do both to cover all bases?

wrmineo, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  20. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    infonote, Jan 20, 2006 IP