1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does anyone else remember Dan's Gallery of the Grotesque?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jason_au80, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Back in 1995 or so, when I first came across the internet (at school on a 14.4K modem!), Dan's Gallery of the Grotesque was one of the more notorious sites on the internet. But you can find nary a mention of it these days.

Does anyone else remember it? It's most famous exhibit was the suicide photo of Kurt Cobain from memory, and the rest of the photos were pretty revolting.

Kinda makes you think how things can be so throroughly forgotten in just 10 years.

Jason

jason_au80, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  2. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
  3. KeithLDick

KeithLDick Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope don't remember it, but I do remember waiting about 6 hours or more to download a 1.44 meg Dos game from a BBS in L.A. when I only had a 600 Baud Modem...

KeithLDick, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  4. digital1

digital1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Npoe, I'm afraid that was probably before my time. I'd have been about 9 years old back in 1995 and I didn't have access to the internet till a few years later (which was probably for the best as that site would have gave me nightmares). ;)

digital1, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  5. jason_au80

jason_au80 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, thanks for the link Caydel, I couldn't find a mention of it at all on Google (Big Daddy strikes again perhaps..). I'd forgotten about the petting zoo, and the like. That brought back some memories. In those days, Yahoo was only a directory - no email or the like, and we used Lycos and Infoseek as our main search engines. Altavista was there (but not really noticed yet), and Google was still being cooked up at Stanford.

Cheers,

Jason

jason_au80, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  6. h2odotr

h2odotr Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember the gallery of the grotesque! I found this message you initally sent, looking for the gallery of the grotesque. It was a great site. I wonder what ever happened to it? I've been on the net since '94', and the gallery of the grotesque along with mayhem.net (which is still going strong) & rotten.com (still alive) were some of the sites I visited the most. What can I say... I'm a sick individual.

h2odotr, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  7. artifexmagus

artifexmagus Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I remember Dan's Gallery of the grotesque very well. guy with face chewed off by dog... body caught in back of dump truck...... man run over by tank... lady and illicit lover cutting head off of husband. The internet was such a simpler, friendlier place back then :)

artifexmagus, Feb 16, 2008 IP
  8. bongo264

bongo264 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes yes I loved that site!!! There was an equally disturbing site call Merman's place that was right up there but sadly they are gone

bongo264, Oct 12, 2009 IP
  9. billy-jim

billy-jim Peon

Best Answers:
    DGG! 1994 and the addition of the biker chick and her lover posing with the guy as they chopped his feet and head off and stuck his severed penis in his mouth. Didn't that happen for real in Winnipeg or was that a test of shcok vaoue for Princess Prison pancakes?

billy-jim, Jan 9, 2012 IP
  10. dhubjr

dhubjr Peon

Best Answers:
    I can still remember viewing that site with Mosaic! lol,,, the site was a college project and Dan removed it several years later before it was mirrored. It was THE first of its kind for sure,,,, -Dennis

dhubjr, May 1, 2012 IP
  11. billy-jim

billy-jim Peon

Best Answers:
    I still think that "Pancakes" on 9-11 and Princess Pulp and Paper (Autumn Phillips) are the most grotesque things I've seen yet. I've never heard of mayhem.net or the other ones you mentioned, but there were a few. I had more of a medical curiosoty motive for looking at that one, but that was back in the dyas when the internet was still so new that the name of the game was ventuing out to find the last thing you wanted to see, just so see if it was actually there. Funny. I recall telling a girl at work that philosophy one day and telling her I bet she was just that type. We dated, moved in toghter in the 90s , and now she's the last thing I want to see. Sort of a new model, as she's not the first thing I'm looking for.
    Oh how it's changed now. I can't take the internet anywhere near as seriously now. Even looking at it the depth and potential has completely disappeared, even with the advent of streaming media etc. Anyone else feel the same way?

Dan, buddy, more Grotesque than that James Bond thing and all the excuses then for chosing Daniel Craig as the new Bond. Sick,. just sick.

Funny... did nothing for the general public's sensitivities...

billy-jim, May 1, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.