1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does a new EMD gain beneficial juice if it is just a 301 redirect from old site

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by jpdigitalpoint, Jul 18, 2013.

I want to do a 301 redirect from an old domain to a new domain that is an exact match domain. I am doing this because I believe it will gain some juice--I know this is a debatable point, but I did some testing of the competition for my search terms and found overwhelmingly that it would help based on sites with very poor backlinks and seo ranking high for no apparent reason other than an EMD. So for the purpose of this thread let's assume that this is the case.

But will a new exact match domain even gain that beneficial juice from a 301 redirect to the new site, or should the whole site just be moved to the new domain, and just forward the old domain traffic to the new domain for type in traffic. But if I do it that second way, don't I lose link juice from the old sites backlinks. Or will I keep that link juice? I'm kind of in a quandary as to how to do it. The key is does google really give an EMD juice if the site is coming from a 301 redirect. I can't find the answer to this anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know?

Thanks

jpdigitalpoint, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  2. jpdigitalpoint

jpdigitalpoint Peon

Best Answers:
    Please note the distinction between EMD juice and backlink juice from old site. I may not have made that clear what I was referring to in the title to the thread. I meant beneficial EMD juice.

jpdigitalpoint, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  3. jpdigitalpoint

jpdigitalpoint Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure that if the keywords are in a internal page folder it gets the same EMD keyword juice as if it is in the domain name? I don't really see that to be the case with the keywords I am testing. The EMD's still outperform those with keywords in an internal page.

But what do you think about whether a 301 redirect from an old site will still get the EMD juice or will google see that as a cheap tactic and not give it a higher ranking?

jpdigitalpoint, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  4. rankwatch.com

rankwatch.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whole site needs to redirected to a new domain to gain the benefits of search engine rankings and traffic. Remember that Exact match domains with a purpose of increasing search engine rankings and traffic doesn't work always. Google hates exact match domains most of whom tries to manipulate their algorithm for rankings and traffic.

rankwatch.com, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  5. jpdigitalpoint

jpdigitalpoint Peon

Best Answers:
    I realize that they don't always work, but I see some evidence in the market I am working in that they do work, plus the site is also very relevant and well written for SEO purposes, not just a gimmick site.

So rankwatch--are you saying that the benefit for a 301 redirect to an EMD is the same as if it's just an EMD site in the first place without a redirect? That's really what I'm trying to find out.

jpdigitalpoint, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  6. chapziiid

chapziiid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't agree with some of the points above, especially 'google hates EMD's' - Completely false.

Googles likes 'brands', authorities and sites that other people like...its as simple as creating that within your niche.

On the original question, you would get a small benefit but nothing that has any real worth, the domain you are 301'ing would give off some signals to Google about the keywords within the domain, so as long as you're in the same market you can get a tiny benefit from it.

The point I need to make though is that you shouldn't be doing stuff like this to get Google love, you should be doing it if it 'makes sense' to your visitors.

chapziiid, Jul 23, 2013 IP