1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does a good site have to be dhtml or xhtml verified?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ElectronDon, Jun 26, 2005.

I wonder if the presence of the dhtml or xhtml meta tag is a precursor to search engine success?

ElectronDon, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not to my knowledge. A few months back I modified my code to be XHTML valid for other reasons and have not seen any noticeable change in the SERPs.

ResaleBroker, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  3. stymiee

stymiee Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not required to use standards-compliant design but typically you get a boost because if you design your site to standards because you're assumed to have used proper tags in the proper places which help the search engines discover the semantics of your page. However, it is possible to make a very search engine friendly page that isn't compliant and one that is compliant that manages to do a poor job of conveying its content.

stymiee, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  4. web-spy

web-spy Active Member

Best Answers:
    xhtml compliant pages generally load much faster, you save traffic

web-spy, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  5. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    If you design it in XHTML and use the DOCTYPES, I think that it helps. One of our sites is built in strict XHTML and it is ranked in the top 10 in Yahoo for a pretty good search phrase. And this site has hardly no backwards links, etc

Corey Bryant, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  6. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    DHTML isn't html/xhtml.. DHTML stands for Dynamic HTML, which is basically just a page that uses javascript with HTML. You can't validate it as DHTML, you can however validate it as HTML/XHTML/whatever.

It doesn't really help SERPs, but its always nice to validate your pages. It ensures (for the most part) cross-browser compatibility, and is just a polite way to do webpages, following the preset guidelines by the w3c.

Josh

Josh, Jul 2, 2005 IP
  7. PioneerGold

PioneerGold Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whether you use HTML, javascript, CSS, or whatever... it doesn't seem to matter to the search engines. If you only want to get a good ranking, the code is not going to make much difference.

You need to focus on content, meta tags, link placement, and MOST IMPORTANTLY... backlinks.

PioneerGold, Jul 5, 2005 IP
  8. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, thats not 100% true. If you're producing a large amount of your content via javascript, some search engines wont spider that content. G might, but I think the rest just ignore Javascript. So its best not to print your content using javascript. CSS doesn't really matter, although if the words-on-the-top-of-the-page-are-worth-more thing is true, you could have some text that was on the bottom of the screen display wise (using CSS) but still be at the top coding wise. And theoretically control it that way a little.

Josh

Josh, Jul 5, 2005 IP