1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does a DMOZ listing in any way affect your google SERPs?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JackR, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I was ranking second for my kepwords before getting listed and had a PR 3. a year after the listing I was still second in SERP and still had a PR3. Now I am #1 and PR4 but I think that may be because the site that was #1 on SERP is now dead & gone... there is no evidence that a DMOZ listing does anything.

Qryztufre, Jul 26, 2009 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe not for the webmaster, but it certainly helps those looking for useful sites on a subject. :)

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

With the number of rejected sites, the number of sites in the queue, the number of editors that don't even bother with the queue, the number of categories that do not have an active editor searching to improve that category, and with all the sites on the net NOT listed compared to the ones that are (blessed is Geocities) that is even suspect!

However, this thread is about PR and SERP seemingly, so that is what I was talking about.

4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm... Reality Check on Q's Post :)
    ROFL. C'mon Q... you almost wet yourself when yours was briefly removed (yes, by me, back in my days at The_Dark_Side LOL), and if you REALLY thought "there is no evidence that a DMOZ listing does anything" you'd agree right here, right now to have both of yours removed so you could test your statement. I seriously doubt you'd agree to that... not even to back your own post.

I'm sure there are those who'd accomodate your request for removal. If you won't do it... stick to reality instead of misinforming readers with what you WISH were true.

Directory Links and SERP Performance (in the REAL world)
    I have a webmaster acquaintance that tested this. His site was added to to a couple of well known directories (Dmoz included) and his SERP performance went up. His site was then removed and his SERP performance went down (not an immediate drop... sort of a slow ripple). I do not have direct access to his data, but I do know that based on the timing of the rise and the fall his conclusion was that it suggested heavy correlation between SERPs and good directory links.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    robjones, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  5. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    ... a meaningless concept (sites are neither "accepted" nor "rejected")

... a meaningless concept (there is no "queue")

... a meaningless concept (there is no "queue").

As I said, the sites which are found and listed by volunteers are those which are useful for web surfers. That's what makes ODP special, which is why this forum keeps going and going. :)

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    And once again, you are wrong on why I was upset. Editors keep saying that they are fair, yet I get into a disagreement with one and my site gets removed for being 404, a status that according to my ISP never happened to my site. Besides, it was fun to run around to all the ODP hangouts to complain that I got removed by an editor that never before touched an occult section to remove a site that belonged to someone he was bickering with. It really did help my cause in calling corruption ;)

All that has been covered in the past though, so why bring it up?

Also, my site WAS pr3 before and after my ODP listing. I also had #2 SERP for my keywords both before and after the listing... so again, what type of reality were you checking?

7. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey give him a break. He's Texan. :p
    And Rob I had no idea you were so perspicacious! Onya mate! :D

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Reality Check #2
    Youve admitted in here that your ISP glitched and created the 404... feel free to look it up bucko. LOL :) Since you are the one that constantly bitched about ODP leaving dead sites in, it was very appropriate that your site be pulled when it was down.

Take the Challenge... or admit you lied
    You just said there's no evidence that an ODP listing does ANYTHING. Agree right here to have both of yours removed, or admit that it isnt true. Very simple.

Back your statement with your actions, or shut up. If it doesnt do anything, it wont matter.

9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    a pure meaningless BS. :rolleyes:

gworld, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  10. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, that's gworld all right.
    Still waiting to hear about those sites you repeatedly claim I listed abusively. Any news on those, or do we just accept you have nothing?

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Again, for every time you've brought it up, my site was never in a 404 status! Stop saying it was, you are wrong.... [edit]my site was down, I can not and will not deny that. I will however remain in my stance about it being in 404 status. The page WAS found, it just could not be loaded, lol. There was a databse error and something else wrong, but according to my host, it should have never made it into 404 status, as that part of the server was never effected.

And it's strange that you removed my site around the same time there were tens of thousands of CNN pages that were truly in 404. Strange I get server trouble for around 15 minutes and get pulled for a few days, yet CNN can have THOUSANDS of pages down for the count and those get to stick around for several more months while I complain about them.

Fair? Sure, CNN is paying the bills ;)

Its not up to me whether my site stays or goes, so regardless of what I said, that would mean positively NOTHING!

Admit I lied? Lied about what? That I had a PR3 before I was listed in the ODP?

I can point to Google articles about the badness of duplicate content, which is exactly what the sites that use the RDF are... are you saying links from them help SERP or PR? Most don't have either themselves.

I can also point to Google saying that Directories have been taken a hit... DMOZ is a directory regardless of what makrhod wants to change the definition into. Are you trying to say that the ODP is above and beyond the rest of directories?

The ODP listing is nothing more then a link and it does no better or worse then any other link.

Already done. My site was not listed, I listed it (remember, you keep reminding me of that as well). No change in SERP or PR. So I'm really not sure what you are going on about now....

12. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Blah blah blah.
    Good idea.

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Thanks for agreeing with me! :p

14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    How can I help it, when you propose ceasing a pointless tirade?

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  15. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Q - You have admitted in here before that your ISP glitched, and that's why it was dead when I checked it..

Regardless of why, it was down when I viewed it (at your request)... and since you were a huge critic of Dmoz leaving up dead sites it was wholly appropriate to put it in "unrev", removing it from the live directory. Don't squeal like a girl about something you yourself have advocated... removal of dead links.

Personally I think the higher-ups at Dmoz are wusses for not publicly removing your sites (yes... one of which you added yourself as among the 6 adds you made before leaving, which makes it hilarious for you to call others self-serving). They should just remove them and publicly say that since you constantly insist they are of no value, you dont really need them. That's a failure on their part, and if they had the guts to jerk your listings there'd be less idiots of a similar ilk who suck at the teet and bite it at the same time.

FACE IT... You DO Believe the Listing Has Value
    Again you've allowed yourself to be caught in a lir, because you say there is no evidence the listing has value... yet you are scared to agree to removal of your own. Back your statements if you believe them... or don't make them. Simple concept. Show a little integrity sonny. :)

16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Thank you for agreeing that my site was never truly in a 404 status. That is and has been my ONLY point. My site was down...I've never denied that. It was not however 404ed.

Why won't you accept the proof already given? I had a PR3 before a listing, and a PR3 for over a year after being listed. IT DID NOT EFFECT MY PAGE RANK.

All you are trying to do now is to get me to ask that my site be removed. I'll not do that, it's as important as any other link, and I'll not ask ANYONE to take a link to any of my sites down.

Why not try it with your site. I've put my IN the odp showing there is no real effect... if you want further proof the ball is now in your court.

17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So again you admit your site WAS dead when it was removed per the guidelines (and your own loud insistence that dead sites be removed). Thank you. :)

PR isn't the same as SERPs, and you know that. I believe the link has value, you claim to believe it does not... yet you refuse to agree to allow yours to be delisted? Case closed.

Even YOU know you're not telling the truth, you just don't have the integrity to back your claim with action. :)

18. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why not? I've found my sites linked to sites I consider 'bad neighbours' and asked them to remove the link. As you seem to consider DMOZ to be untrustworthy it seems a logical step to take.

syted, Jul 26, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  19. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He wants to have it both ways... to claim it is of zero value... but he won't back his claim because he knows he didnt tell the truth about it having zero value.
    Typical of someone that knows they are selling a falsehood.

Sorta like the mullahs that recommend people strap on C-4 & nails for the glory of Allah... coincidence they never choose to do so themselves? LOL.
    Thanks for the entertainment Qryztufre... but you've now disproved your own point. :)

20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Mind pointing out any instances of this topic where I have claimed my site was up while it was removed? All I've been saying is that it was NOT removed for it being 404ed, and that it was down for around 15 minutes. I've never denied that... in any of the threads where you or I have brought this up.

The case was closed looooooong ago, so thanks for bringing it back up :D

How have I disproved it? I said that I had a PR3 before it was listed, and that it had a PR3 for a year after it's listing... which goes in line of backing up my own claim rather then to the contrary.

And how often do you find your link removed? When it concerns the ODP, they have stated many times that the webmaster has no say whether or not their site is listed or not, so there is no need to ask in this case anyway.

Qryztufre, Jul 27, 2009 IP