1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

does 5000 web pages equal BIG google $$$ dollars???

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by trc4949, Mar 21, 2005.

i am working on a blog and pushing myself to try to post valuable content on it every day with lots of text... hopefully I can post 3 new postings per day..

so the ultimate question is, IF my blog, or any blog for that matter gets up to 3000, 4000 or 5000 total pages...

does that pretty much guarantee the blog will be making a few thousand a month at least?

assuming you are in a decent paying per click niche, say tech or financial blog.

in other words, is the equation for big incomes on the internet a direct function of how many total pages (opportunities to click on a google ad) you have?

i guess i am tempted to think that if i am able to post 3 to 5 thousand total postings to my blog that I will be making a hefty monthly income at that point from all the potential opportunities for the search engines to find those pages, lead people to them and then give me a chance of an ad click.

its seems to be the case that old web pages are like fine wine. they get better with age and always offer you a potential chance for an ad click.

i have seen many other successful websites grow into large big time income producers because of the number of pages they were able to put on their sites with heavy text content. For example www.gold-eagle.com or financialsense.com

comments?

tc

trc4949, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Meh, Gold-eagle scared me. I clicked your link and was bombarded with flashy advertisements.

As far as your question, pages do not equal overall earning potential. Having a lot of pages and content can help, but it depends on the content of said pages. You could have 1000s of pages based on games or another entertainment related field, but the payout wouldn't be as high as say Financial advice or something similar.

What it'll really boil down to is the amount of traffic you can get to the page, as well as the kind of content, and lastly the number of pages. I've had one page net me around 2k one month (that's page, not site).

Infiniterb, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  3. trc4949

trc4949 Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry about the gold-eagle link...

the site has about 7000 pages in it I think and is one of the most popular for its niche..

I understand it boils down to the amount of traffic per page..

but my hypothesis is that a much larger number of pages will lead to overall higher traffic down the road due to more opportunities for search engines to find pages etc.

trc4949, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  4. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, there are a lot of other factors that lead to traffic. Are the pages SEO'ed? How competitive are the keywords? How well intergrated are the ads? Is the content such that you will get repeat visitors? Where do you rank in the SE's?

Fresh content is a good thing, as more pages is a benefit, plus spiders enjoy new content. But more pages does not equal greater earnings, there is a lot more to it then that.

wendydettmer, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, a large amount of pages doesn't mean anything alone. There are some auto generated sites that have many more pages and I've seen offered for sale for a few hundred dollars. There is a lot more to it than pages. Number of pages is the last thing I would work on. No one is going to be able to put a dollar amount on a site based on hypothetical pages for a site that doesn't exist. A lot of adsense publishers do not meet the $100 minimum payout each month despite how easy many sites try to make it look.

mjewel, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  6. dirvish

dirvish Peon

Best Answers:
    That gold eagle site is one of the ugliest I've ever seen.

I think that if you 5000 search engine indexed web pages then you will probably make some money. If none of those pages are indexed and no one is linking to them then you won't make anything. So, 5000 pages of content that is better than the competitions has a chance.

dirvish, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  7. trc4949

trc4949 Peon

Best Answers:
    i must admit i guess i am surprised that more do not agree with the idea of more pages = more money over time...

i had made about 30 financial web pages a couple of years ago that were originally just HTML newsletter mailings... then 2 years ago I decided to just post them on the internet so that the search engines would find them...

i never monetized them...

so about 1.5 weeks ago i put google ads on them and was not even sure they were getting any traffic..

so far those 30 pages have brought in about 5 dollars. I dont know what the total figure will be for 30 days.. but lets just say it will be 10 dollars...

so, 5000 total pages.. divided by 30 pages equals = 166

multiply 166 times 10 dollars monthly income from the old pages (the prototype example) and you get 1660 income per month...

now if the 30 old pages pull in 20 dollars per month

then after 5000 pages the income should be about 3000 per month...

see what i mean?

tc

trc4949, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  8. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All pages are not created equal though (if they are, then it's duplicate content and penalized most likely).

You can, in theory, make a ton of pages and make a lot of money. But it all depends on a LOT of variables and how competitive the industry is.

Infiniterb, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  9. dirvish

dirvish Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think anyone would argue that more pages possibly have more earning potential than fewer pages...however, I would rather have one really informative, smartly monetized & SEOed page on a high traffic niche topic than 100 crappy pages on a highly competitive topic. There are so many variables that focusing entirely on quantity probably won't work so well for you.

dirvish, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  10. thebassman

thebassman Asleep at the Keyboard

Best Answers:
    potential being the keyword... 5000+ pages does not = thousands/month... take forums for example, with 10s of thousands of pages indexed... even with 50k uniques per month, you're not making $1000's for adsense... total # of pages indexed is only a small piece of the puzzle to making good coin from a website. ;)

Best of luck.

thebassman, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  11. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, your math premis is a bit faulty. There is no reason to assume that just because you have 5000 pages indexed you will get equal numbers of visits to each page. And even if you did (which is very unlikely) there is no reason to assume you would get the CTR on each of those.

wendydettmer, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  12. dirvish

dirvish Peon

Best Answers:
    As a wild guess (as I've said, too many other variables to accurately predict) I would say a 5,000 page blog would earn $500+ per month.

dirvish, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  13. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Also, decent paying topics are usually pretty competative, which means you will need to spend plenty of time and/or money just getting your blog to rank well (and bringing in traffic). Good luck with it and let us know how you do! :D

ViciousSummer, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  14. lingeriediva

lingeriediva Peon

Best Answers:
    A note on blogs...While you might get 5000 pages you may not get anything but PSAs on a lot of them. On my lingerie blog the archives and comments pages are almost entirely random as to adsense displaying paying ads.

Now, partially that is because I am on Blogspot and really can't optimize the archive pages; but I also think Adsense tends to see blogs as a unity.

I'd love to hear otherwise but that's my experience so far....

lingeriediva, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  15. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    My blog serves targeted ads. You can check it out here:

http://www.viciousenterprises.com/summersblog

Click through the posts under "Let me tell ya something" (my archives) and all of them have corresponding ads. :)

ViciousSummer, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  16. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    You are assumming that there is infinite room within your niche for expansion.

What I mean by that is that on any given day there are only so many searchers looking for a particular subject and of those searchers, only a small proportion will be ad-clickers.

mcfox, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  17. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    not all pages of content are created equal. some contain a couple of sentences only and if most of your pages are like that, it will be very hard for your pages to come up in any search and bring you revenue.

Liminal, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  18. trc4949

trc4949 Peon

Best Answers:
    actually each of my pages will have at least 500 to 700 words...

i guess I will know whether or not my theory is true over time... i will post back to this forum to report my findings when I have 1000 pages...

should be interesting.

trc4949, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  19. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    on the other hand though more is not necessarily better. i wonder if 500-700 words are a bit too long for blog entries (which means less repeat visitors).

but yeah, i am curious to see your results...

Liminal, Mar 22, 2005 IP
  20. trc4949

trc4949 Peon

Best Answers:
    devbistro,

interesting point you make about less repeat visitors for longer blog entries..

that topic could be the start of another interesting thread.

for now, i am of the opinion that if a blog entry is longer and more importantly very interesting to read and really engages the reader, then over time this could be of more value.

my reasoning is that it would mean that a person is spending more time on your site, offering more opportunities to view ads and/ or click on them..

if the posts are really short and rapid, then people have a trigger finger to leave very fast and wont have time for their eyes to glance over a potential ad.

trc4949, Mar 22, 2005 IP