1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you use different contents for Bots?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by qll, Sep 27, 2004.

Starting this week, I start showing different contents to bots. I heard that if google found out that they may ban me. However, I have not heard any case that google visits without identify itself as Mozzila. Anyone tried this and got banned?

It works perfectly with googlebot, but for yahoo slurp, It always got size ZERO on my bot content. I think it may be that the bot content is dynamic generated, so it is slow and Yahoo bot timeout is set quick.

qll, Sep 27, 2004 IP
  2. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure you can trick the bots, but a simple comparsion of the Google cached page with the visible page will reveal the trick in ten seconds or less, after which you can expect to get the boot - permanently.

It may not be discovered until a competitor reports you, but cloaking is one thing that most search engines get really hot under the collar about.

Mel, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  3. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    It's not entirely uncommon to do this successfully. In fact I still do it on occasion - though I do it to reduce the code to content ratios (ie i don't actually add anything to the page, I remove it).

There's 2 very simple principles to keep in mind:

1 Filter by IP **NOT** by user agent.
    2 Use the nocache metatag (which both G and Y honour).

That way, it doesn't matter what the agent string is (ie staff or Gbot, they get the same thing), and your competitors have nothing to work with, so nothing to complain about.

Remember also to exclude G/Y proxies from the list (these are things like the language translator tools available across both engines etc), because these can be used by your competitors too.

Remember - it's your site. You can do what you like with it - even afford G/Y/others the privillege of digesting your content for their gain. But ifyou're dependant on their actions, you need to play on their terms.

:)

john_loch, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  4. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    So long as you keep your IP lists updated that works, which may be why Google recently was assigned a few thousand new IP addresses

Mel, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Ooh, yay, let me update that list.

Tracking by user agent is still ok but I've found some charming souls who give the googlebot user agent to ensure they get access to your site. Don't know what they're doing, might even be something legit like researching how frequently people do cloak but be aware that it happens.

Sarah

sarahk, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  6. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    i just it is not the reverse. as long as google does not mess with me, i am ok.

my idea is very very unlikely to be reported, because i think my idea is pretty smart and unque. the content i cloak will not raise redflags. i still need several weeks before seeing the results.

by the way, the Yahoo ZERO size is a bug on my side. I uploaded an old script and deleted the new scripts accidenttally. it should work now.

qll, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  7. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    I don’t understand why people bother in trying to fool the SEs. You don’t need to do this in order to get good SERPs. Just work on your content, structure your site in SE/User friendly way, use basic SEO techniques and you’ll have the expected results.

I’m sure GG will eventually find a way to detect ILLEGITIMATE cloaking sites, and they’ll be permanently banned.

Besides… Doesn’t it feel better to achieve things the right way? ;)

Tapanti, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Will you let us critique your site?

sarahk, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I have spoken to you about this in another thread qll...

In that thread, you claimed that we (webmasters), would not be able to tell the difference between you content and the real thing...

Post the URL in the underground so we can all see how good it is.

SEbasic, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  10. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Their IP's are not that difficult to keep on top of.

The whole cloaking approach (for me) is not critical to SERPS placement anyway, so even if gbot does find front end content, it won't hurt. The nocache tag is everpresent as well.

My main interest is in reducing unnecessary formatting and layout (ie tables and general dogsbody markup). That way G sees content for effort, and I reduce traffic costs.

In general, efficiencies that work well for all concerned.

I save around 50% of my traffic costs this way.

:)

john_loch, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A great many sites I visit (and view the source of) would gain significant benefit by learning how to use a stylesheet and removing javascript from the page.

To all the cloakers out there: Make sure the problem you are trying to resolve is the right problem!

sarahk, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  12. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    I am 100% sure that if you look at my URL, you will tell the difference. That is not the case for average visitors. I have been fighting againt systems pretty well. I only failed 4/5 times, big times. In other casese, I won.

The way that I make sure nobody notice is that:
    1 Fool google is easy part
    2 Make nobody complain - I only deal with the stupid, and the uncareing.

I don't want any smart webmasters to come to reverse my stuffs.

By the way, I only put it in 2 days. I fixed a bug today, which means it starts working today only. Since my PR is low, Google only crawl those pages once a month.

I do have a big plan in another area. Script is ready to go, my problem I used a new domain for this spamming site and I don't think google will come to crawl it until 2 months later. If anyone gives me a PR 6 site, I will redesign another site for high CTR adsense for him/her. My design will increase the CTR 5 to 10 times.

qll, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  13. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    google is well aware of cloaking. there ARE legitimate reasons to "cloak" (or, legitimate reasons to do something google may intepret as cloaking)

there are only two ways to cloak: by user agent and by IP. they're able to check both without you being able to identify them. good luck.

and any user that views the cache is able to report you..

disgust, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  14. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would this be necessary QLL?

schlottke, Sep 28, 2004 IP