1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you use a Web Design Program for your Web Page Design?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by pcdoctor, Feb 13, 2007.

Here's the Deal:

I am in the process of wanting to design a web page for my new Free Computer Support web site. I used to run an MSN group called Free Computer Support, but we recently moved to an invision free site. I don't have a webpage for it at this time, but do want to make one. Last night, I was in Microsoft FrontPage 2003 attempting to design a web page. I want a navigation bar on the left side of my page, but Frontpage wouldn't let me add one in there. Is there a way around this or would you recommend that I use a different program? I have joomla which I haven't figured out how to install yet, and I am not that great with HTML or coding either.

pcdoctor, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  2. praetorian guardian

praetorian guardian Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi.

Program i use is Dreamweaver, it is a little better than frontpage.

However this is not what i would recommend for a beginner, you should learn code in hand first, just making a simple webpage in notepad. Save it .html.

There is no automatic way to make a side navigation bar in HTML.. alot of people use Tables in creative ways to achieve the look. Although its frowned upon to do this in HTML writing circles, but for a beginner i suggest thats how you start.

Joomla is complicated, i would not advice a complete beginner to start with it.. if you really want a CMS i found wordpress at alot easier to install.

good luck.

praetorian guardian, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are at all serious about your site, you have a choice:
    1. You may hire a web developer to do the work.
    2. You can learn html, css and maybe javascript, and do it yourself. It's not brain surgery—I just tell my clients it is. :)
    cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  4. designcode

designcode Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am using programmers notepad to make HTML templates. It has no options to view design mode. If you are starting to learn html and css, I will recommend you to hand code it. Using some software like Dreamweaver etc, don't give you a firm grip over your template.

designcode, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  5. Psyc

Psyc Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Dreamweaver because it's convenient. Just hit F12 and it lets you preview what you've done so far and the tabbed interface helps a lot with keeping your screen tidy.

When it comes to minor modifications, I just use Notepad.

Psyc, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  6. Logicaly

Logicaly Peon

Best Answers:
    I started with FrontPage, but I found it to not be as good as Dreamweaver. Though to be perfectly honest, if your truely interested in learning the code, I would suggest working purely in notepad to start with, to better help you learn the code, then work with Dreamweaver.

Logicaly, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  7. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    To pcdoctor
    If you know nothing about HTML, and don't want to learn it, I would say that your best option to make your website is to use an automated tool, i.e. a website generator. To use even a visual editor like FrontPage you must have some idea of what you are doing.

TechnoGeek, Feb 15, 2007 IP
  8. rufh_s

rufh_s Active Member

Best Answers:
    try ezgenerator its really simple nd with lots of predefined templalates.....all d best!!!

rufh_s, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  9. Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dominicc2003, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  10. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Understatement of the year award :)

Deano, Feb 16, 2007 IP
  11. hwould

hwould Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned HTML in college, it is good to have the foundation, but I use Dreamweaver all day everyday. Learn basic HTML, then go out and buy Dreamweaver!

hwould, Feb 17, 2007 IP
  12. nwk

nwk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is good. But the things you can do with codes, You can hardly do with Dreamweaver or Frontpage. Its best if you learn html and css.
    For Me, It was kind of fun learning codes. :)

nwk, Feb 17, 2007 IP
  13. Ca$hter

Ca$hter Peon

Best Answers:
    Well at thestart for messing around I was using easyweb publisher:eek:
    ao as you can imagine the results were limited
    but what I would suggest like some have above , me is to start making simple pages with hand written code first and progress that way -you will get te feel of whats doing what yourself-
    From there with more study:( I would start working with frontpage or dreamweaver

A nice little too for html editing tool i use is coffecup:)

Ca$hter, Feb 18, 2007 IP
  14. ophir.oren

ophir.oren Peon

Best Answers:
    I use MS Visual Studio - nice and I mainly use it because I work with ASP.NET.

for PHP under linux I use citePHP

ophir.oren, Feb 18, 2007 IP
  15. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver lets you do everything in code view if you desire.

Deano, Feb 18, 2007 IP
  16. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In which case, it's an expensive text editor.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 18, 2007 IP
  17. Deano

Deano Sail away with me.

Best Answers:
    LOL, personally I can't understand why any one would want to type everything in by hand once they know how code works. I generally use dreamweaver in split view.

Deano, Feb 18, 2007 IP
  18. beermaker74

beermaker74 Peon

Best Answers:
    if you plan on making multiple websites or just have a site that a massive amount of pages. Go with dreamweaver. The find and replace feature and sitewide link checks are sweet. It is a powerful coding tool as well. I like the new support for php and the built in support for mysql. You will find it is worth its price tag when you find and replace code on 300 pages in less then a minute. :)
    I cant stand to use frontpage myself being used to dreamweaver. So if you are just making a few pages and want to learn code. use notepad. else download a 30 day trial of dreamweaver at adobe.com

beermaker74, Feb 18, 2007 IP
  19. t2000q

t2000q Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I am old school so do a lot of my editing in text editors, but like the Dreamweaver Macromedia package especially for the graphic design, css and how it ties it all together. I bought it used and is one of the better software purchases I have ever made.

:)

t2000q, Feb 18, 2007 IP
  20. omecool

omecool Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am a beginner in webpage design and have used dreamweaver and frontpage in my work. I would recommend that youe begin with frontpage, as it is similar to MS Word / Excel in their functions ( Cut, Copy, Paste, et al ). When you really get the hang of it, then move on to Dreamweaver, if you so desire. In my opinion, it is all up to what you want and willing to do ... :)

omecool, Feb 18, 2007 IP