1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do you trust dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by trichnosis, Jul 18, 2008.

1. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Jim, how often must you be told not to choosen creating polemics? Go stand in the corner young man.

robjones, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What? You're not the boss of me :p.

I'm going to carry on choosen creating polemics, which I take to mean correcting intentionally misleading information, as much and as often as I like :D.

jimnoble, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hey jimbo

i exactly mean this. i want to talk about dmoz & spam but you are trying to change the main subject with stupid answer.

this is creating polemic.

i'm sure you do not care about the spam because you are getting money from spammers.

you are a lier. pls be honest.

trichnosis, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  4. ck101

ck101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting topic with some enlightening and amusing posts... at least for me.

I hate corruption too, but at the same time I know that it's a fact of life. There'll always be some greedy people who will want to make extra buck or two regardless of anything whatsoever. If you hate them as well, why not to expose those abusers (of course you need a solid proof before accusing somebody). If you think ODP abuse system corrupted as well as some editors, why not to expose them on forums, blogs etc, outside ODP? I'm sure many of us would love to get rid of those baddies.

Let's face it, some of the editors (NOT all) joins ODP as an editor for obtaining a some form of benefit. Remember, nothing is free in this life. One of the notable reason (IMHO) is to get theirs and friends etc sites listed on ODP. Rest of us has to wait. However, as one poster indicated for waiting 2 years or so for listing is not an acceptable practice to any serious webmaster on this day and age. Only thing I can suggest here is to replace lazy editors or get more decent editors if they can find.

Alternatively, you may decide to forget about DMOZ and concentrate your efforts in other areas of promotion opportunities for your website.

ck101, Jul 28, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  5. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

But Trichnosis is to be thanked for contributing all the intellectual effort -- ie his knowledge that all DMOZ listings are either paid for or owned by DMOZ editors.

The rest was trivial arithmetic on my part.

But it does lead to an oddly Sherlockian mystery. Like the dog that did not bark in the night, I still find it difficult to understand why no one has ever spoken up about being poorly treated by DMOZ after making payment.

By poorly treated, I do not only mean shafted. Even with the best will and the best organization in the world, mistakes can happen, especially when 200 active people are stirring the pot.

But never once has a single payee ever piped up to say they paid and were not displayed to their satisfaction.

Not once. Never. Ever.

I know I am slow, but I cannot reconcile that with my usual experience of multi-million dollar, under-the-counter, cash-upfront, businesses.

I'd appreciate a clue or two from Trichnosis. Thanks.

dharmarucci, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  6. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    hey dharmarucci;

do you have any skill except creating stupid mathematics or playing with words?

i'm talking about 4 thinks

1) spam on dmoz (i wrote it on reply 74. did you read it? or do you have any answer? i'm sure you have not because dmoz editors does not care spam. because they only the money which they get from the dmoz listing)

2) corruption on dmoz editors. i have given links above but you never want to see it. you are also an editor and you want to keep dmoz.

3) dmoz abuse system is also broken because i have reported one report 15 months ago. it's not checked yet. pls take care i say 15 months, not 15 minutes, 15 days. 15 months

4) my normal web site is deleted but there is a spammy web site on the same category. that spammy web site is is created with automatic queries. 8 years old internet user can understand that site is using automatic queries (it's not a joke:D) . but dmoz editors did not understand. why is that spammy web site there? and how do you explain this?

here is one more example http://www.v7n.com/forums/links/94554-dmoz-listing.html . i'm sure all dmoz editors will not see this too and they will create a reason to reject it:D.

a dmoz editor does 2 thinks:

1) they say stupid thinks like jomnobble, dharmarucci. when they have nothink to say, they allways create information dirtiness.
    2) they sell dmoz listing

you reply is full nonsense.

trichnosis, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  7. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have no affiliation with DMOZ (except they won't list my site and rejected me as an editor) but that link is from a person who has made only one post on that forum.

Now it could be a corrupt DMOZ editor,

or it could be somebody impersonating a DMOZ editor.

Now I'm wondering which of the above two is most likely to do that?

syted, Jul 28, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What was the page that was removed again, and what what it's category it was removed from?

You can yell & scream all ya want to. You can ask why it was removed a million times, but it's all speculation if people are not sure of the site.

& as for your v7n link, it's not much proof unless there are replies to it that show a sale was actually made. You have better luck with scriptlance entries that have been completed.

Qryztufre, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Astute observation there Syted. The sockpuppet acts in web forums are always a hoot. I'd rep your post twice if I could... but afraid I'm hindered by my naive adherence to one ID per man. Rep given nonetheless.:)

Q - I dont know what his site is or what cat it was in... but if his behavior in here is a clue it might be marketing suicide vests. In one breath he says they'll add spam for free, then that one cannot get in without paying. Even HE doesn't agree with his claims. Seems like a self-defeating strategy.

robjones, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, hell, I don't have any friends, so I can't get their sites listed, and I don't have any sites of my own, so where does that leave me?

Actually, any editor can list his own site, if it conforms to our guidelines for inclusion, and if he edits in the category the site belongs in. Perfectly legitimate to do so, as long as he stays impartial about it and doesn't show any favoritism.

If the editor has to submit the site to a category he doesn't edit in, he can do that from inside the Directory or outside, but the site waits right along with every other site in that category. Asking another editor to list it for him could be considered editor abuse and lead to a very strong warning, or even losing editing privileges altogether.

As a matter of fact, I got lazy and fired myself. Hey, bro, how the hell can you fire somebody who was never hired? Editors are volunteers. That means we volunteered to edit and we can unvolunteer, lol. So where does that leave you? The next site I might have listed could have been yours , had I stayed.

Still want to fire editors?

crowbar, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  11. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    this is another face of corruption. i'm sure dmoz editors will create reasons to reject it. because they are voluteer to a category (if you believe that lie:p)

i'm also a v7n user. i found that link when i make search with "dmoz" word on v7n forums.

it shows me a corrupt editor.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=8649587&postcount=97 .

i'm sure the owner of the spammy web site also follows the digital point. he may attack to my web sites, if i wrote that information.

do you want me to pm this info?

@cowbar: do you have any comment about the 4 thinks which i mentioned on reply 106?

@dharmarucci: do you have any math about v7n link? or do you have any words to write?

trichnosis, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  12. aditne

aditne Banned

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is very good directory. I really trust DMOZ. It is very difficult to get listing in DMOZ.

aditne, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  13. ck101

ck101 Peon

Best Answers:
    crowbar, you are the best person to answer this question. When, I say "Nothing is free in this life" I don't mean everything is bad. Everything we do or everything happens around us has a purpose, whether we understand it or not. A person may do a charity work without any material compensations but he or she will drove out from the work a self satisfaction. It's a benefit, in fact it's much more valuable than material compensation. I love this kind of people but there aren't many of them around.

If a person undertakes to do something (regardless paid or unpaid basis) she or he should do it according to job description. In the event of realizing they are no longer wish to or unable to do the job properly for various reason/s, they should leave the job and let others to do it. That's what I'd expect from self respecting person. There shouldn't be any need of firing etc. I know, I am mumbling about the ideal world and reality is something else, but still... we have to keep ideals on sight.

I don't have any personal issues with DMOZ or any of it's editors at the moment. I'm just trying to contribute to discussion something positive.

ck101, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    No, I want you to post your site publicly. That is the ONLY way to show that it was in DMOZ and was removed. To hide behind PMs shows that you may be hiding something or that there is truly something wrong with your site.

Get it out in the open and prove that your site is worthy of a listing yet was removed and that there are spam sites listed where you say there is.

If you do not, then others will come in as well yelling and screaming, but what will that do other then take down the quality of all the places they are screaming and yelling at?

The burden of proof is on YOU at this point, and name calling and accusations will do nothing but make YOU look like a fool. So come on, show that the ODP is in the wrong by showing that your site is worth talking about...

Qryztufre, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  15. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    1) there is a simple reason that i want to send pm because i'm sure the owner of spammy web site follows to digital point. when i wrote his url, i'm sure he will start to attack my web site. that guy is not playing fair.

2) i believe that this is not a burden of proof. it's only keeping my web site. i do not want anybody to attack to my web site. pls do not try to find any more reason like your site does worth discuss or like similar reasons . i'm only trying to keep my web site like every website owner does . you, me or the others.

3) on the other side, if a person gets the urls with pm or from this reply or from a dmoz abuse report which i wrote 15 months before , he can check everythink. i wrote the url & all the details 15 months ago to a dmoz abuse report . he can check everythink and he can see if i lie or not.

4) if jim nobble or any other paid dmoz editor checks the abuse report. they can know it but now, it's better to send it pm because attacking to my web sites

trichnosis, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, you can certainly list your own site that was removed and not be in the wrong...

Feel free to PM me both sites, and the categories they are or were listed in, as well as dates of removal.

Qryztufre, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  17. Briongloid

Briongloid Peon

Best Answers:
    DMV is the Department of Motor Vehicles in America.
    Not being American I've never dealt with them directly,
    but I've watched enough TV shows and comedians to
    know they have a reputation for taking forever to do nothing.
    (Like the Department of Pretty Much Everything here in Ireland.)

For example, in the Simpsons, Homer Simpson's sisters in law, Patty and Selma, work for the DMV and love it because they love making people miserable.

Briongloid, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  18. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    hi;

i have sent all the information that you want to know.

trichnosis, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  19. 42rumbler

42rumbler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see more sites that I can't see how they can be listed, and my site is poohpoo'ed ? at anyrate even if my site is not accepted I don't see how these can be? old, outdated, wrong category, page refresh etc..
    flag2flag[dot]com/ocfs/
    flag2flagracingclassifieds[dot]com/Classifieds/XcClassified.asp
    dudes site doesn't even work right and page views are lies?

42rumbler, Aug 7, 2008 IP
    canam likes this.
  20. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    agree with you, the whole directory is a joke, their application process for editors stinks and reeks of favoritism and elitism, their database is full of garbage and self serving entries, etc etc etc....... there is no way the dmoz directory should hold any kind of weight over any of the other 100,000 web directories out there on the web

canam, Aug 7, 2008 IP