1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do you trust dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by trichnosis, Jul 18, 2008.

Hi

As The title says , Do you trust dmoz ?

Let me give the first answer.

* I DO NOT TRUST THE DMOZ.

The reasons:

1) Dmoz is a directory which editors add their own web sites or you must buy listings from editors. (this is my experience. i read this on the other web sites and i hear this from my web sites)

2) My main web site is deleted from the dmoz. my main web site is www(dot)two-keywords(dot)net . i have competitive web site : www(dot)two-keywords(dot)COM (My competitive web is a SPAM web site. I have proof for this. The SPAM web site has 2 links on dmoz.). i have not changed the main format of my web site. i have only insterted more information to my web site. That makes me angry and i think my competitive web site made my site deleted with giving money to the dmoz editor.

Thanks

trichnosis, Jul 18, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  2. seobypros

seobypros Peon

Best Answers:
    I still believed that DMoZ is a trusted directory site but not guaranteed a good result. Maybe DMOZ is just strict in implementing the linking policy of a site.

seobypros, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    your dmoz link depents on the dmoz editor competition. if your site is competitive to the site of dmoz editor. your site will be DELETED. Dmoz loves SPAM:mad: (If any of the dmoz meta editors want to see the proof of the spam, i can sent it)

4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have actual evidence of your assertions (as opposed to vague 'everybody knows that' comments), please visit http://report-abuse.dmoz.org/ and state your case, giving enough detail that an investigation can be made.

jimnoble, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  5. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    i have also done on 2007-12-05 21:28 for the spammer. nobody reads or checks the abuse reports. this is why i'm saying that dmoz loves SPAMMERS and if you are competitive to any dmoz editor, Your site will be deleted:mad:

i'm sure that if i write any email about why my site is deleted, nobody will answer because my site was a normal web site, NOT A SPAM.

note: i'm talking about a regional web site, not english

6. marinaroz

marinaroz Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is really slow because some categories go stale for months (years?) without submitted sites ever being reviewed.

Also, if you're counting on a DMOZ listing to bump your site into google directory, dream on. Some parts of google directory hadn't been updated for years, even when the corresponding DMOZ parts were.

On the bright side, it's really easy to join DMOZ as an editor, if you're prepared to take on some remote and deserted category and work your way upward.

marinaroz, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  7. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's run some math on this.

DMOZ has 4.5 million listings and (as the critics here are always telling us, discounting the coverpage boast of 80,000 editors) only around 200 active editors.

So on average, each active editor has added 22,500 sites. Assuming each editor owns less than 500 sites each, that means they have each been paid to add 22,000 sites.

The usual rate quoted for adding a site via a bent DMOZ editor is around USD100 (1/3 of the cost for a one-year Yahoo listing).

That means each active editor has made around USD2.2 million in undisclosed listing fees. That's not counting any repeat fees for a 2nd+ year listing.

That's serious money, and I would expect the IRS to take an interest. Can anyone point at any IRS announcement concerned investigations/settlements of taxation on undisclosed DMOZ listing fees?

Also, despite the usually unstated assumption that the customer service for paid-for DMOZ listings is exceptionally good, I'd still expect there to be a number of upset payees who did not get what they bargained for.

Assuming 1/1000 payees are upset, and 1/10 of them are upset enough to go public, I'd expect to be able to find over 400 blog posts / websites with "I paid DMOZ, they failed me" complaints.

Anyone know of any such sites?

dharmarucci, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  8. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Really? I handle several English language ones a day (because that's the only language I'm fluent in). Perhaps you meant that nobody has handled your particular abuse report yet.

9. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    @jimnoble: i mean regional web sites. the web sites that i mean are NOT english. do you want me to sent the abuse to you as a pm in english?

@dharmarucci: the numbers are intresting but it's easy to play with numbers. i did not undertstand what you mean with the ACTIVE editor. if they are not active:confused: or not working for dmoz:confused:, why does the dmoz keep them as editors?

10. dharmarucci

dharmarucci Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. But the numbers are not intended to be interesting or playful.

Given the axiom that all DMOZ listings must be paid for, the numbers are a simple consequence of that.....

.....There must be 100s of DMOZ editor millionaires given your premise. What we now need to do is research how and why they are so seldom uncovered.

Perhaps you could ask your informants for their research on that topic.

Active editors vs all-time count. Think of it this way:
    Active US presidents: 1
    All-time count of US presidents (excluding those of the pre-independence Continental Congress, etc who are generally discounted for this purpose): 43.

That's approximately the same ratio of active and past as with DMOZ.

The past presidents clearly existed and contributed and are still listed as such. Same with DMOZ.

dharmarucci, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  11. Ahoy

Ahoy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't trust it but want my websites on it, as other do count it!!!!

I have a few high quality content websites and which are unique in their field of interest (Not comerrcial) and which i've been strugeling to put onto DMOZ for over 2 years now ...

Ahoy, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  12. James_P

James_P Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe your problem is just a difference in opinion. Someone (not you) was put in place to decide which websites are authoritative within your niche, and they don't happen to think your website was useful (or they just may not have gotten to your submission yet.)

James_P, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  13. Ahoy

Ahoy Peon

Best Answers:
    As i said, i have a couple of websites that r unique and don't have any competitors at all on a non-disputive subject ... so it's not that problem ... i guess just the lasiness of the editors!

Ahoy, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  14. arnab

arnab Peon

Best Answers:
    u should submit an abuse report

arnab, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  15. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    It would be better to raise it as an abuse report because then it's in the system.

Nice to be appreciated :).

Only if there's evidence of abuse please. To quote from the abuse report's FAQ, As we do not guarantee the inclusion of any site, that your site has not yet been included is not in itself reason for filing a report.

16. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The original question was "Do you trust Dmoz?" Then the OP proceeded to make harsh statements of "fact" based on proof like 'I read it on other websites'.

All he knows for certain is that his site was in and now it isn't. Everything else he said is conjecture.

I have the benefit of having been there for most of its existence and the distance of having left. I have no ax to grind on their behalf, but my observation would be:
    On the issue of trust...
    • There WERE a tiny handful at Dmoz I wouldn't trust as far as I could toss them, but Dmoz already caught and tossed 'em anyway
    • There are a tiny handful who got canned that I'd trust farther than some who canned them
    • There are a tiny few still at dmoz I don't trust, but still dont for a second suspect 'em of what the poster describes
    BUT... the bulk of the work there was/is done by perfectly trustworthy hard workers who do it as a hobby and don't deserve to be bashed.

I'd trust 'em farther than anyone that makes sweeping statements based entirely on the premise that every silly claim he reads on the internet is true.

The poster has no proof that abuse reports are not read, he doesn't know his editor-is-competitor claim is true (it seldom is the case)... all he KNOWS is his site is not there and he is angry. That doesn't warrant slamming the work of honest people.

robjones, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  17. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    @jimnoble: if you take care the time, it's over one year. you may check abuse the in english . i understand it but regional abuse system is not checked. nobody checks it.

@arnab: i have done it but nobody check it.

@Ahoy: make a spam web site or use site:www.getafreelancer.com pay for dmoz listing . your site will be listed

@robjones : their is a google link above. i read on the web sites like the above. do you defend those persons?. i'm sure those web sites will be listed on dmoz.

@dharmarucci: what do you think about that google link? you can find tons of editor (ACTIVE or INACTIVE) which are selling dmoz listing with this way.

18. Danielregwan

Danielregwan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    get a single quality link from a pr6-pr7 website (there are many ways to achieve this without paying a single dollar)
    and the SERP results will be better then what DMOZ can give you, I can't understand why people agree to pay
    300$ to a directory similar to dmoz (yahoo directory) completely useless, in the same amount of money you can get much more pr quality links.

Danielregwan, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  19. trichnosis

Best Answers:
    @Danielregwan: i agree for the serp idea. the think that makes me angry is SPAM web sites has MORE THAN ONE LINK on dmoz directory. normal web sites is not being listed. but dmoz says that we are looking for quality web sites. the big lie is that:mad:

20. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do You Trust Dmoz - To some extent, yes! because they deleted my two domains that I purchased from somone on DP. After I purchased them, I changed the content - it was still related ( but not much content) but I added other some categories and the listing is gone.

O yea, I feel bad cos I wasted some good money :( :( ( off-topic )

mixke, Jul 18, 2008 IP