1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do You Think Using Templates is Cheating?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by m1ndless, Jul 11, 2010.

1. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Hell no it's not cheating. There are 1000's of templates out there for every need in every platform. There is nothing wrong with using one, particularly if you add some personal customization to it.
    Very few designers or web people design everything from scratch. The use images from stock houses, pre made buttons, 3rd party scripts, purchase music and sound effects from composers and everything else. It's all just a bog jigsaw puzzle anyway.

And even if you are doing client work...starting with a template saves time, expense and leaves you to spend more time on other tasks. You still posses the skills to put it together and customize which others can't do so I see no problem with it.

hmansfield, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  2. x30Host

x30Host Peon

Best Answers:
    No, most people buy them with hard earned money anyway.

x30Host, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  3. deziner.web

deziner.web Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think to get the idea from the website is not called cheating.

deziner.web, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  4. mahesh2010

mahesh2010 Guest

Best Answers:
    While customizing the Template as per your charge and don't you anticipate one doesn't apprentice aggregate at a go and apprentice bit by bit, and you ability be accomplishing so. However try activity through sites like W3Schools and added tutorials which helps a lot. And again if you accept queries or ashore you can consistently column here, absolutely somebody will appearance you the appropriate way.

mahesh2010, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  5. CJ.Online

CJ.Online Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see it as cheating at all. Everyone in this world uses templates for everything. Why do you think all the different soda cans look the same? Haha

CJ.Online, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  6. ackernik

ackernik Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No because a custom design usally isent cost effective.

ackernik, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  7. SamPeterson

SamPeterson Peon

Best Answers:
    Well... it is not "cheating" but there are sometimes DMCA implications involved. Not to mention the lack of uniqueness in your website when you use one.

SamPeterson, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  8. perth_web

perth_web Peon

Best Answers:
    why reinvent the wheel.. having a starting point template that you can mod further is the way to go..

perth_web, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  9. VariousWays

VariousWays Member

Best Answers:
    Well it depends... Some template makers want you to keep their name in the footer. If you remove it, you are sort of claiming that the work is yours.

So you'd be 'stealing' credit for their work. But if you use a template from which the author says you can do with it whatever you want, then I suppose it's fine.

VariousWays, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  10. Just Jump

Just Jump Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not professional and you are pretty much hosting a portfolio on someone elses work.

Just Jump, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  11. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    When ever I start with a template, I never claim the work as my own, I only leave a footer cred (when the client allows it) that says I "built" the website...not "Designed"...even if it is completely unrecognizable from the original work.

hmansfield, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  12. C.J Rodriguez

C.J Rodriguez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No.I don't believe it's cheating.Especially when you are creating a sales page.Most templates are easy to edit making the process of releasing a product of service easier.Again not cheating at all.

C.J Rodriguez, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  13. ultimaterinks2006

ultimaterinks2006 Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you are using a free template then there is not problem if you are using a paid template without paying then that is not correct.

ultimaterinks2006, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  14. moodey-aimee

moodey-aimee Guest

Best Answers:
    templates are great to get ideas from, then you could change it around, if your not very good with the coding. I'm still learning coding, So if i were to Design, a website design, i wouldnt know alll the coding, so i tend to make my designs simple for now.

moodey-aimee, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  15. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I always give my clients 2 options...Choose a layout that closely resembles what you want and I'll customize what ever you want or that needs to be changed to fit your specifications, or have the same thing designed from scratch at more than double the cost and time.

90% go with the first option.

hmansfield, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  16. I'm Taz

I'm Taz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm with you mate..

I'm Taz, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  17. travelguides

travelguides Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on how much customization you plan on doing with a free template. If you customize it to the extent that it no longer resembles the original design, I suppose you could call it an acceptable practice. Do keep in mind though that you're going to market the end product as your own and put it up for a price, so IMHO it would be best to refrain from using a free template in this manner. :)

travelguides, Jul 29, 2010 IP