1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think time travel is possible?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Whitey, Jul 22, 2008.

1. RedXer

RedXer Peon

Best Answers:
    Theres already a time travel machine being built using laser technology that in principal should work.

The way the theory goes though you could only travel back in time as far back as the first time travel machine was turned on. Which means it's possible the instant they activate the device objects or messages they sent through it in the future could instantly start appearing.

it's pretty interesting:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SWTThCbvpFY

RedXer, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  2. whitemind

whitemind Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is not possible

whitemind, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  3. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, it is.

I read something about someone being a couple of seconds in the past, or maybe it was a few seconds in the future. But it's cause he'd been traveling in space around the earth the opposite way than it spins...thus was a couple of seconds into the past/future (not sure which it was). Can't remember where I read it either, it was years ago...:rolleyes:

twistedspikes, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  4. sarsarah05

sarsarah05 Banned

Best Answers:
    We've been time traveling for decades dude.

sarsarah05, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  5. Boogie Nights

Boogie Nights Banned

Best Answers:
    I had a teacher who once said something like the passage of time is an illusion. He never did explain himself.

Boogie Nights, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  6. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    A teacher or professor that you smoked weed with?

LogicFlux, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  7. donlin

donlin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Time travel or not, you got to remember that Time is a man made thing.

donlin, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  8. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Until we can fully understand what time is and how we stand compared to time, I don't think we can understand how to travel it.

clinton, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  9. linkfinder

linkfinder Peon

Best Answers:
    No it is not possible.

linkfinder, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  10. mshore

mshore Peon

Best Answers:
    So the theories surrounding time travel are vast and as varied as there are people, but the most commonly supported ideas of time travel as posited by theoretical physics is that time and space are malleable with the right amount and application of energy. Essentially the warp drive seen in Star Trek, which used there only bends space to allow movement across distance, but the same concepts should hold true for time, and may allow for a bending of time between two points. This seems to be a likely route to time travel, although it is just theory and is very far from reality at this point. Additionally some folks think that string theory, quantum physics, wormholes, black holes, strange particle theory and a whole slew of other theoretical physics hold the key to time travel. So yes, I think it is doable.

mshore, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  11. mshore

mshore Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, and to answer your question about what happens if the past is altered. most theories say that if a paradox is created the time stream will alter itself to ensure that one future doesn't overwrite another. Divergent realities. Essentially what would happen is that a person who goes back in time and talks to themselves would spin off a new reality in which their conversation took place and the future was altered, but no one would know the difference as there was never any other choice to make, but the original reality would maintain and events would unfold as they always did. In this way the universe is a self correcting system.

mshore, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  12. 2-4-K

2-4-K Peon

Best Answers:
    Time travel is most definitely possible, in Australia a university managed to carry on an experiment in a controlled environment where an atom inside a vacuum travel forward in time.. how they proved it was because the atom was fired across a 1.1 meter vacuum and it arrived at its destination before it left.. so the mere intention of carrying out the act made it a reality.

What you make reference to is what is commonly called the 'Grandfather Paradox' where a person travels back in time and interferes with history to impact the present in such a way that they do not exist etc..

How I understand it it is this.. there are 16 different dimensions but an unlimited number of 'alternate realities' so to travel BACK in time actually means you go back into a completely different alternate reality similar to yours but it has not been experienced yet.. ie this reality where 'time traveller you' and 'alternate reality you' exist simultaneously is a new reality to the one that existed in your past as the time traveller you was not present in it..

So in theory you can travel back in 'time' but its not the past you experienced its a completely new reality altogether. There are some interesting organisations and educational facilities exploring this theory..

You might also be interested in Googling > LHC CERN

These scientist are the leading brains on the planet and they are creating an artificial black hole here on earth due to begin sometime in August this year. Cool.. but scary.. so scary in fact that a high court action has been instituted againt them in the USA as there is a possibilty that these scientists at CERN might destroy our planet.. no kidding.. but its like a 1 in 250,000,000 chance.. still there is a 1 / 120,000,000 chance that someone wins lotto and yet someone still manages to win dont they.

2-4-K, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  13. bluemouse2

bluemouse2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I don't think it is possible. Life is a one-way road.
    Nobody can bring old times back and nobody can see the future.
    Once we die it's all over. It's all over here I mean. Because I believe in God and the life after.

bluemouse2, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  14. 2-4-K

2-4-K Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes thats actually correct its called thermo dynamics.. actually every time the space shuttle goes into space it comes back a few secs out of sync with earth.. they measure this by atomic clocks.. 1 on earth & 1 in the shuttle synced up and then recalibrate once they return to measure difference.. in fact in happens on regular internation plane trips also but its only a fraction of a second.

2-4-K, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  15. Dubz

Dubz Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe anything is possible. So yes; maybe not now but it's not "impossible".

Dubz, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  16. Emie.

Emie. Banned

Best Answers:
    I've heard that traveling backward in time is most likely impossible due to the lack of tourists from the future.

It could be that we die out before we develop that technology.

Emie., Jul 25, 2008 IP
  17. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They say as you approach the speed of light time slows down, if you go beyond the speed of light (wich is impossible for humans) time starts to go backwards, I personally don't believe this I just think that it stops.

Seqqa, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  18. chiky_cin

chiky_cin Banned

Best Answers:
    well, according to einstein's special theory of relativity, you cannot travel faster than the speed of light...it has been proved mathematically.

what 2-4k said is correct, there are many alternate realities existing. you can surely travel time, if you can travel at the speed of light.
    but according to me, if even if you are travelling to your own reality past in a time machine which was not built at the time you are travelling to-it is not possible. You cannot create/destroy anything...remember the energy law (energy can never be destroyed/created, only transformed from one form to another). So, you cannot create your time machine for that time, you might convert some kind of energy to run the time machine.

though there are many theories about parallel universes around...you can travel there also if you travel at 3x10^8 mps through something known as wormholes...but their existence is so far not proven unlike black holes.

chiky_cin, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  19. invisible

invisible Banned

Best Answers:
    Maybe in future its possible.. I'd like to go back to the day I joined DP:p

invisible, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  20. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, i think time travel is possible. Why? Because we don't know almost nothing about another dimensions... And in another dimension, maybe time doesnt exist...?

scubita, Jul 25, 2008 IP