1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think time travel is possible?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Whitey, Jul 22, 2008.

Hey everyone :)

This has been bugging me the past few hours... no matter how much I try and think of something else I can't get this out of my head! :D

I'm just going to throw out some scenarios and let you all discuss...

Say in 100 years we make time travel possible, and we send someone back in time. Say that person meets his "past" self and gets into a nice chit-chat about time travel and the past self decides not to engage in time travel. When the time comes and that person does not go back in time, the whole future from that point on would not exist because of the first person to go back in the future? So it ends up in an infinite loop that we have no knowledge of/can't get out of...

Here's another point... although it may not relate to time travel...

Because of the sheer distance between Earth and our closest star, it takes millions of years for a twinkle of light to reach our eyes. Lets say since that tiny beam of light has left the star and traveling towards Earth, the star has exploded, a huge firey ball of death maybe heading our way at light speed and we wouldnt know about it.

Only the speed of light in that has something to do with time travel, now imagine this. If we ever manage to go faster than the speed of light, we would (theoretically) get to our destination before we left. Now this presents obvious problems, like killing a person or maybe even making an exact clone of them.

Also, for traveling forward in time there we would need to have our future planned for us to some point, which starts all the religious arguments about God existing etc...

What do you think? ;)

Whitey, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  2. donlin

donlin Active Member

Best Answers:
    They say its possible in theory to travel forward in time but not backward. If you were to travel at the speed of light for say three years then come right back, only two weeks will have passed or something like that.

donlin, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  3. mimm

mimm Banned

Best Answers:
    Everything from the past had been destroyed and everyone from the past
    has died. It is impossible for them to live again just because we do time travel.
    That's my opinion.

mimm, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  4. kellex

kellex Peon

Best Answers:
    Not a chance in hell...space/time holes only exist in elite movies like Jumper. :)

kellex, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  5. smallmerchant

smallmerchant Peon

Best Answers:
    Because of the enormous size of the solar system, we have not even explored our 9th planet. And the solar system is a mere grain of sand in the galaxy, and the galaxy is a grain of sand in the "known" universe. That being the case, how can we possibly assume to know anything with certainty?

smallmerchant, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  6. ShamsiOwnz

ShamsiOwnz Peon

Best Answers:
    Its actually the opposite.

ShamsiOwnz, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  7. arabSquad

arabSquad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i dont think so .. at least thats what i believe

arabSquad, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  8. mishsu

mishsu Banned

Best Answers:
    i don't know.

mishsu, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  9. error47

error47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is possible. I read somewhere that they are already making a machine that can send small particles or something forward in time. I also read somewhere else that some man has already traveled ahead in time like a fraction of a second because he was in the international space station for a long time. Interesting, but I think its another 100 years before we fully understand the concept.

error47, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  10. Matsuri

Matsuri Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, if traveling to past is possible, lets say after 500 years, the first time traveler oes back in past and arrives in Year 2008, July 23rd, thats today.
    How do you consider we are moving ahead with time, we could be actually going backward in time.

Matsuri, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  11. John06

John06 Peon

Best Answers:
    It could be possible by freezing someone and defrost it in the future...

John06, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  12. leandar

leandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in common logic its not possible, but we human didn't prevent lots fact about this world

leandar, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  13. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, time slows down for the person traveling near the speed of light. That really is time travel, it's just not the type of time travel we think of when we think of the term.

LogicFlux, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  14. greenicon

greenicon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it's impossible.

greenicon, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  15. debach

debach Banned

Best Answers:
    100 years ago, going to another planets is impossible.
    Who know time travel will be possible in the future :)

debach, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  16. Onera

Onera Peon

Best Answers:
    Who are the future time travellers among us? More theoritical proof exists for the future time travel than the past time travel. Past time travel creates lots of paradoxes and changing time line. I even don't think in 100 years we will understand the time travel better than we do now. In 100 years we will certainly move to a type I civilization and we will have more space travel. To understand time travel we need to move our civilization to Type III civilization which is some 70,000 years away.

Onera, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  17. im_savage_rawr

im_savage_rawr Peon

Best Answers:
    Anything is possible, just think... people used to believe that the earth was flat and that everything revolved around the earth you never know

im_savage_rawr, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  18. Chopster

Chopster Peon

Best Answers:
    People used to ask this same type of question, but in regards to going to the moon or traveling faster than the speed of sound.

So my answer would be "yes".

Just as smallmerchant said, there is no way to be confident and say that we can't, when we hardly even scratched the surface of exploring our environment or our universe.

Chopster, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  19. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Possible theoretically but not for human beings. No human being will be able to survive the conditions of time travel. Maybe an atom can, but for human beings to time travel and stay alive. I do not see how it can be done with current technology and for the foreseeable future.

wisdomtool, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  20. timevsmoney

timevsmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    my question to present is: if you did travel forward in time, you might know. but how would you report it back to the people in the present?

so it might be possible that people have traveled forward in time, but no one told us that "it worked!"

timevsmoney, Jul 22, 2008 IP