1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think this is Legal?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by YANG, Feb 5, 2011.

Do you guys think this is legal? I've been getting emails from names such as 'Billing Dept", "CBnotifications", and things familiar along the line. See, the thing is I know who's sent the emails, and I sure know at first when I opted into that list was a different name.
    Example, when I first optin, it'll say YOURNAME, but later turns into something else. the way how I find out whos email it is is the sig link.

I know this is probably a email trick where you change your FROM name into something else, but my question is is it legal to do this stuff?

It gets pretty annoying (talking about desperate for email CTR's).

YANG, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  2. Spidman

Spidman Peon

Best Answers:
    It's extremely easy to spoof the From address and send as anything you want.

It's not legal, but it's also almost impossible to catch the person sending the email. I had a friend's mother recently get her email password stolen because the person sent an email as requesting her password. Yeah, there are still people who fall for that.

Spidman, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  3. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not entirely true. It's only illegal if you are sending it from a US-based server, as they're the ones that implemented the CAN-SPAM Act. I would imagine a few other countries have similar laws, but technically in most places around the world it's not illegal to change the from field in any email you send out.

Christian Little, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  4. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    Age and falling for things like that are highly correlated, unfortunately.

Steve Marino, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  5. Zachmo

Zachmo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes these are so annoying and dangerous. I also know someone scammed by this having his different online account been compromised.

Zachmo, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  6. Dave86

Dave86 Peon

Best Answers:
    just stay away its better safe then sorry

Dave86, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  7. hannyramzi

hannyramzi Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest never click the links in that kind of email, 100% phising and very very dangerous.

hannyramzi, Feb 7, 2011 IP