1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think Islam is violent or not?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Skynt, Sep 1, 2006.

?

Do you think Islam is violent or not?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2006.
  1. Yes

35.6%
  2. No

57.4%
  3. I don't know

6.9%
    Vote and discuss! I'd like to see the general opinion of this topic.

Edit: My bad, I didn't see the previous Poll that was simular to this one. In any case, I think if you've read the Koran you know the answer to this Poll already.

Skynt, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    not violent at all:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4960559,00.html

lorien1973, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  3. Skynt

Skynt Peon

Best Answers:
    lol very funny.

Skynt, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  4. Caveman

Caveman Peon

Best Answers:
    So raping the maid is now a "traditional muslim behavior"?

Caveman, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  5. ZachG

ZachG Peon

Best Answers:
    Well..actually Catholicism was quite violent in the Middle Ages. I bet it was alot worse than Islam is today. The Roman Catholic Church executed a huge number of people for heresy (disagreeing with the church's teachings).

ZachG, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  6. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And that makes it okay? I believe the Roman Catholic Church moved out of the middle ages.

lorien1973, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  7. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    They've also apologized for it. What they did was not at all sactioned by the Bible unlike the actions of Muslims.

KalvinB, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  8. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Point made, looking back normal behavior then could be viewed as barbaric now, but I think the point is NOW, not then. "Ignorance" is hard to use as an excuse today with the ever increasing presence of ever increasing information mediums.

Most of us have, and this cannot happen again, because we, the common folk, now have access to the bible, and in our language. So rhetoric of power hungry custom religious fiends fall on deaf ears of those who know the truth. Unless the religion is actually based on murdering others, and keeps its people brainwashed/ignorant.

Wonder if that is still possible...... on a mass level. I guess that's the point of this poll. :D

tom

TommyD, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  9. Skynt

Skynt Peon

Best Answers:
    Igorance was what the middle aged church was. If they had truely read their bibles in a intelligent manner, instead of making up their own reasons to do what they did, they would have realized "Oh, it says here to love my enemies and to bless my neighbor even if he doesn't do the same to me."

They weren't following the christian biblical text in those days, however, the musilums are obeying their Quran. And the Quran does indeed even in arabic tell them to be violent against others.

Skynt, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  10. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Why I go to sleep each day, thanking God for the reformation. :D

How can you say this, being facetious. Anytime I've seen a translation of anything, I get "the words are messed up, because the Quran cannot be read in NON-Arabic" So there is always an out.

Back to Christians, it's not what you say it's what you do. So I guess, I'll interpret actions, not writings in a book.

Peace Out!

tom

TommyD, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  11. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am not going to get into the voting on this subject, but I have worked and traveled the Middle East extensively for years.

And certainly post, Arafat, Hariri,Tueni, et al, the situation has not improved any but certainly religion creates the situations that occur in the area

The polarity in religions has thrust ( yet again) Lebanon into turmoil and displaced over 1,000,000 million people and destroyed houses, roads, bridges, ports, commnunications electric power, water services etc

Is Islam violent ask the Israeli People!!
    Is Judaism violent ask the Lebanese People!!

britishguy, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  12. ScottHughes

ScottHughes Peon

Best Answers:
  13. Skynt

Skynt Peon

Best Answers:
    ScottHuges, I watched the video and what I see is some guy going on and on like an idiot, defending something without supporting and explaining why they're wrong. Seriously, this total bullshit about the english version of the Quran not being accurate is crazy. I mean, if the meaning is incorrect, why would you distribute it to english speaking-reading musilums? Explain why a friend of mine, being arabic, told me that it means the same thing to him in arabic as well? Btw, arabic was his first language. I don't understand whats wrong with you people that defend this piece of literature, you have either optical blindness, or no common sense.

Skynt, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  14. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    I dont know, I know many muslim guys who are quite good and in main stream.

I am an atheist so I dont blame any religion for anything, I feel its people who are responsible for violence. Damn these extremists...

The Webmaster, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  15. A.G

A.G Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well sure no , there is no relationship between violence and Islam
    violence exist every where not related with religion , some fanatic media try to mislead people and give them untrue image if Islam

this is all about how propaganda affect people believes by lie on them

A.G, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  16. Skynt

Skynt Peon

Best Answers:
    Then whats wrong with these scriptures?

Quote:
    5.51: O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

Quote:
    9.123: O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness; and know that Allah is with those who guard (against evil).

Quote:
    IV.89: They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper

Again, you are NOT telling me why my conjecture is wrong, I have yet to see a counterexample EVER to these scriptures. Like I said in the previous reply, they're the same in arabic, so please don't post that damnable defense, its really quite annoying. Another thing, what is your definition of extremism? I think when you call someone a "extremist" you're calling them that because they are taking their religion to the extreme, they are listening to everything it instructs them to do with their whole lives. An "extremist" is nothing more then someone who is dedicated to everything the Quran teaches, and moderates are nothing more then people that ignore the dark side to their religion and bible. I guess what I'm looking for is a reason why you believe theres no relationship between Islam and violence, your logic is not making any sense to me, and the media does not effect my belief on this issue. I've used normal logic to figure this all out, and inless I'm insane, I think my logical thinking is accurate :confused:

50/50 ? I'm depressed.

EDIT: It just got worse, I think I'm going to go have a drink :p

Skynt, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  17. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How can a religion be violent? People are violent not the religion.
    And be honest, some thing bigger than all of us is creating wars between religions...

p.l.u.r.

p.s. I'm Catholic if anyone wants to know.

Angelus, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  18. Skynt

Skynt Peon

Best Answers:
    But isn't it possible for people to take a book seriously? I mean, especially if it is the instruction book to their religion? Again, your logic is not making much sense.
    And I'm not saying I hate musilums, or anything, and I'm not bashing Islam. I just think theres something being covered up, something so obvious people don't see it, not even some musilums.

Its like when you're looking for your keys, which happen to be right on your desk. You spend a minute looking all over the room for them, but then realize they were right there, right in the direction you were looking. Thats what I think this is.

Skynt, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  19. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if you look at that angle then you should read about crusaids and who sponsored them. I know that catholic church made mistakes, to be precise, people who were highly placed in it. The same thing is with islam I believe, it all comes down to people...

That is why I promote p.l.u.r => Peace Love Unity Respect

p.s. if you go Bosnia and Hercegovina these days you will see three different nations (and religions) that were in war couple of yeras ago that now live together and it is perfectly normal...

Angelus, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  20. Skynt

Skynt Peon

Best Answers:
    But the crusades were differen't, they were ignorant people that didn't even read their bible. They relied on their spiritual leaders for guidance. The leaders kept them ignorant, because if they had read their bible, they would have known to love their neighbors and their enemies, not to go force them to convert.

But this case is differen't, now we have a book (Quran) that specifically instructs its followers to go kill and fight the rest of the world. People arn't ignorant nowadays, its the damn information age, and books are everywhere. The Quran is everywhere for that matter. Although people are a big factor in it (thats why you have moderates and radicals), I think the cause is much deeper then that, otherwise it wouldn't be on such a global scale.

Skynt, Sep 3, 2006 IP