1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think domain names are still worth money?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by ozegreatdeals, Oct 30, 2005.

?

Are domains still worth money?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
    I ask only because their seems to be alot of domain names for sale and they are asking almost laughable amounts for them.

Also alot of the "apprasial" sites seem to appraise them to be worth more then they truely are. Also the appraisal forum here does not seem to "deem" any of the requested ones worth much more then a registration fee.

eg: RealHitsTraffic domain name - appraisal site said at least $300. But after having the domain name for sale for about 1.5yrs I only had 3 offers and they were'nt really offers but people wanting to know if they got a site with it.

So do you think domain names are becoming worthless unless they are a major companies name... And that to realistically get a decent amount of cash for one you have to have a established website?

Just something I have noticed.

Drew.
    SEMrush

ozegreatdeals, Oct 30, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. debare

debare Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the domain market has been completely commoditized. So unless you are prepared to spend significant dollars branding a website with offline advertising, I would say very few domain names are worth more than the $8.95 currently charged by most registrars.

debare, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  3. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Domain names are still worth money - but it works with supply and demand. Three letter dot coms (even ones with Q, Z, X etc.) are worth a lot because there are only 17576 combinations and there is way more demand than that number.

Taking your example of RealHitsTraffic (dot com I assume), if someone wants a traffic related domain, then there are many many thousands of different names (especially if you include hyphenations), but a comparatively smaller demand for them. So if someone wants realhitstraffic.com and you've already registered it, in most cases they'll pay $7.xx for an alternative like superhitstraffic.com or realpageviewstraffic.com rather than buying it for $300 from yourself.

There was a time a few years back when you could get someone to pay well over the odds for an average three word domain just by talking it up (saying it is a unique and one of a kind domain ;)) - but now domain name investors are more clued up and unless you're very lucky you need a really good domain to reach three figures (if selling as undeveloped).

norfstar, Oct 31, 2005 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
  4. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The time where domain name is a commodity is already gone, unless you own a real gem. ( like shoes.com or money.com ...).

Of course, it's almost impossible to own domains like these anyway.

People who still buy domain names and try to sell it at inflated prices are living in the dinasour age.

iskandar, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  5. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some people may need to be realistic, not expecting too much, too soon, without enough knowledge and dedication. But yes, domains still worth money.

muchacho, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  6. dnMaster

dnMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Domain name market has been changed now.
    The sites with some regular hits are more valuable than so called premier domain names.

dnMaster, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  7. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    yes domains are worth money, they are worth more if you take the time and develope a site to go along side aswell.

just-4-teens, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  8. millst2

millst2 Guest

Best Answers:
    well the alot of domain names still go for xxx-xx'xxx. But it manily depends I believe on the age of the domain name.. the older the better, the more descriptive without numbers and hyphens along with being a .com increases the value as well. The thing is really that the oneword or twoword 9 letters or less domain names will run out eventually,, just like now a majority of the brandable ones are already gone, just like the 3 letter .com and almost all 4 letter.com,, good short descriptive.com's and 3 and 4 letter .com's will continue to go up in value,, but you will also find it harder to buy since most domain buyers consider them to be like Prime Real Estate.

Theres money to be made, but also consider developing a site with a good domain name which will increase the value of the domain name that much more.

Mill

millst2, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed... branding is what makes a domain valuable these days. Traffic to this site wouldn't be any less if I had used "joebobgreen.com" instead of "digitalpoint.com". digitalpoint.com by itself has no real value (other than the brand behind it).

digitalpoint, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  10. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Single name domains are all but taken, but many people forget about using catchy phrases and quotes for domain names. Those could be popular and worth a lot of money.

tesla, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  11. syed123

syed123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think more than 95% of domains are reg.fee!

syed123, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  12. Peter_Rosado

Peter_Rosado Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you sell www.mysite.com at $1,000, I would rather take www.my-site.com for $8.00

Although..if it's a nice keyword...I wouldn't pay much, but of course I would pay a higher price than $8.00

Peter_Rosado, Nov 5, 2005 IP
  13. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dunno, I'd pay a good sum of money for
    cars.com
    shoes.com
    pets.com
    books.com

or some others.

lorien1973, Nov 5, 2005 IP
  14. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with those who say it is all about the branding. I took a domain name that wasn't even a common expression and turned it into something with meaning and a very successful site. But take away the traffic and the links and the domain becomes less valuable.

my3cents, Nov 5, 2005 IP
  15. ppcwiz

ppcwiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    domain prices have been climbing every year...values and returns have steadily increased exponentially.

website.com and property.com each sold for $750,000 a few month's ago.

you will not find a decent domain unregistered out there -- everything is gone...long gone!

visit the domain journal to find out more about some of the aftermarket sales, interviews with some of the largest domain portfolio holders and more.

http://www.dnjournal.com

ppcwiz, Nov 5, 2005 IP
  16. romow

romow Peon

Best Answers:
    domain branding is increasingly important to be successful in domain business. the old good days are gone when one could easily make good money out of simply reselling domains without development...

romow, Nov 6, 2005 IP
  17. kinkarso

kinkarso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .BE domain names just came out. All the single word names are ALL taken before the first day ended. Yes, the are worth it, if you get a good one.

kinkarso, Nov 6, 2005 IP
  18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    .be domains didn't just come out. Belgium has had their own domain extension for some time. For example dns.be was registered on January 1, 1996.

digitalpoint, Nov 6, 2005 IP
  19. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    promotion is the key to sucess now, without it resell value of domain wont be that big as alternatives, country domains, new extensions keep flowing. Something new is always there.

forumrating, Nov 6, 2005 IP
  20. earncef

earncef Guest

Best Answers:
    expired domains with good traffic sell crazy

earncef, Nov 8, 2005 IP