1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think a new search engine will take over one day?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by Nomad, Aug 21, 2005.

In the future will there be a new engine that overshadows yahoo,google,msn etc?
    I think one day there will be a new version of the internet all together the way things change each day. Having a few companies "controlling" the internet is not good. Spreading it out with many is better. But that being said, I think that if something really great came along there would be a mass exodus to it.
    Just look at the battle of firefox vs. microsoft explorer. Slowly I think more people are using firefox of course explorer is bundled with all computers when bought.

Nomad, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  2. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    I would personally love some more competition out there. Google has WAY too much control over the Internet now. They can make anyone they choose a millionaire and they can make any millionaire they choose broke. All with a swift click of the mouse.

The problem is, we as users/site owners/etc. end up supporting them in their power climb. How many of you choose to use not so corporate search engines?

You can have the best site in the world with the best content, and nobody will ever find it if you haven't played Googles game.

In the past websites were designed to be creative, pretty, easy to use, easy to navigate, and full of great content. Now, Google has made website owners either make it nice and get no traffic, or make it chock full of keywords in specific locations, make sure the colours etc. do not cause penalty.. make sure we link to millions of other sites on a useless links page, make sure we don't do anything design wise that would make their bot not be able to properly index.

It's really sad actually. How about let the creative people in the world design amazing websites, and have the high paid Google programmers actually make a search engine that works with the existing content. Not the other way around.

It's like the chicken vs. the egg... What came first? The WWW or Google?

These days it seems like everything a site owner does, they do for Google.

802networks, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  3. soapbath

soapbath Peon

Best Answers:
    Me :). I use MSN and Yahoo mainly, I don't like Search Engines that filter results based apon there personal veiws, I don't like search engines which block Cnet reporters, I don't like Google!

soapbath, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  4. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    i would too like to see more competition, i use all 3 search engines, msn if im lazy since its only 3 letters, yahoo if i want half decent results and google if searching for stuff related to my site (backlinks, indexed pages etc)

i dont care much for google at this point in time since im sandboxxed and all traffic comes from yahoo/msn.

just-4-teens, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  5. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    There's only ONE problem with being number ONE...

There's only ONE way to go............................... \/

I like all 3 current BIG ENGINES, but I never say NEVER anymore ;)

DomainLoot, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  6. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds good, but I don't agree. You can constantly stengthen your position, so that you stay #1. It's like a runner who's in the lead can keep widening the gap.

exam, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  7. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    like google comes in the last and over come on the others may be one day some other search engine comes and over come on google - just like google did

programmer, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  8. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    True enough, but "numerically" speaking, there's only ONE place to go. ;)

Actually, I'd be interested if you know of ANY company ANYWHERE on the planet
    that has been NUMBER ONE for a longgggggggggggg time and still is.

Most of the biggest companies in the world have been, then aren't, then may be again, then aren't, then disappear etc. etc...

Google has only been number ONE for, what 3 years now? Certainly not a marathon. :)
    GM used to be number ONE
    SHELL OIL used to be number ONE
    IBM used to be the ONLY ONE

Food for thought.

9. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
  10. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    :) Actually, another excellent example of a FORMER NUMBER 1.

A few more...

NETWORK SOLUTIONS
    AltaVista
    Jerry Springer - now he may stay NUMBER ONE FOREVER! ;)

11. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    There are probably people who think Yahoo! is better than Google.... to each his own I guess. Actually I hope there is more competition in the search field. Then if Google wants to stay on top, they will have to keep getting better and that will be better for all of us.

exam, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  12. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    AGREED.

Cheers.
    Mike

13. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds good. Now I'm off to bed. G'night.

exam, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  14. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    People left Yahoo for Google when Yahoo got a little crazy with their ad's. People will leave Google one day too. I think MSN is primed to be top dog for a period of time within a few years.

The thing is that the big 3 have so much of an intellectual property marketshare that it's much harder to knock them off today than it was say 5 years ago. It will happen though, it's just a matter of time before a college kid says to himself "hey, why aren't they doing it this way", spends a little time on a research project, and then turns into a media and internet community darling.

There are a few keys to taking over - 1) the tech community has to like you. 2) the media has to like you (a few plugs in pc magazine and newsweek will do wonders) and 3) it's got to be started by two guys or less - preferrably in a garage.

Within 5 years, the main brains will all have retired from yahoo and google. That's when the market will open up.

nevetS, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  15. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is you need to think "outside the box". Why do you need to go to a site to search for other sites, why not search inside your browser directly (I know this is already, but can be improved).

Also do you find the search engines find what you are specifically looking for? Too much crap on the net needs to be sorted out...if a SE can do all that, that'll be No 1.

misohoni, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  16. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    I think they need to shy away from SEO type websites and start actually listing content. It's sad when you watch the everyday user do a basic Google search and then automatically skip to page 3 of the results because they know the first 2 pages will have absolutely nothing to do with what they are looking for and just end up spamming them.

802networks, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  17. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:

Yes.. you're right... most of the time I use google to search the net, automatically I jump to the 3rd or 4th page result because I beleive the first 2 page result are less or nothing relevant to what I am searching.

Hope there are more better search engine to come out in the future.... which not focusing on this seo thing but the actual content of the site.

PinoyIto, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  18. cangiz

cangiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there is always room for improvement, so a search engine, can just come out of the blue, and take over.

cangiz, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  19. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to think I would use Alta Vista forever.. I remember when google first came into existance and I saw someone using it. I was like what are you doing with that crap?

aeiouy, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  20. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I highly doubt this, but there is a possibility for content/market/people based targetting search engines.

Major market players are still out here:
    like amd, intel, amd, cisco, verisign etc. etc... they can launch content specific engines to compete market (but its a long time to go yet ;))

SaN-DeeP, Aug 25, 2005 IP