1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you still build websites WITHOUT a CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by html2cms, May 28, 2011.

Hi guys and girls.

I'm curious.. I personally feel every sites should be build on a CMS, whether super simple like our HTML to CMS service (html2cms.org) or more advance like Drupal/Joomla/WordPress.

It just makes life easier rather than having clients emailing/calling every time they need a small change.

Do you base it solely on budget? i.e. if the client's budget is not quite justifiable you'll just give them a static HTML site?

In all, every website I create is built on a CMS whether it's wanted or not. If they don't want a CMS due to budget I don't give them access to it, if they do (or change their mind), they'd be charged accordingly for it.

What's your views?

html2cms, May 28, 2011 IP
  2. woody allen

woody allen Peon

Best Answers:
    building on a CMS is very easy for me to manage, however, if I would to write the programm myself, it will be hectic. I will write the website without CMS if it is a simple one with a few page. save more time.

woody allen, May 31, 2011 IP
  3. theitom

theitom Peon

Best Answers:
    Almost always use a CMS these days, not just because of budget or simplicity, but because almost all of our customers want to be able to update their site frequently. Not many people want a static website these days, no matter what size their organisation.

Created a single page site last week for a sole trader in her 60s who wasn't even online herself but had been told by her daughter to get a site going anyway. Did that one in html!

theitom, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  4. woody allen

woody allen Peon

Best Answers:
    I will use CMS if my clients are updating frequently. however, updating is the reason why designers are earning more. If i't a 1-2 page thingy, I'll definately got for html only instead of CMS, really save the hassle.

woody allen, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  5. gabrieljns

gabrieljns Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Business is all about speed and quick reaction... An advanced CMS like joomla and Drupal let us concentrate all our expertise in seo and online marketing when the customers can manage their content by themselves...

It's a huge gain of time and money... Of course, we had to make some development and add some seo modules to optimize those scripts but all in all, thanks to joomla and drupal without them we would loose a lot of money

gabrieljns, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  6. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes if i need search engine friendly website ...

jhardy2008, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  7. katelinfct

katelinfct Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Yes CMS should be there. Now-a-days, building a website with CMS is better for new visitors. I hope this will help you.

Thanks!!

katelinfct, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  8. woody allen

woody allen Peon

Best Answers:
    what if the client wants something very customize yet simple?
    I say, I would rather use html, dreamweaver or flash, whereby I'm not constraint by it.
    Of cz, the down side would be the editing, but think about it, a few pages wouldn't do much harm.

woody allen, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  9. kajol

kajol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I developed a custom coded CMS 4 years back, I am getting lot of SMS benefits over a ready made CMS.

kajol, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  10. TB Adriana

TB Adriana Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think using a cms is best. I use a custom cms that a friend of mine created and it's great for frequently updated sites like tubes, blogs, etc.
    Maybe for presentation sites, it's ok for really small budgets to go without cms and do news and stuff like that via facebook, rss, stuff like that. What do you guys think about handling it that way?

TB Adriana, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  11. lukeit

lukeit Active Member

Best Answers:
    why you want a life complicate? cms is the best today, for one basic website.

lukeit, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  12. subdivisions

subdivisions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I'm building a static site for myself, I won't bother with a cms. They generate messy, unsemantic HTML which takes a hit on SEO and accessibility.

For clients however, the pros far outweigh the cons.

subdivisions, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  13. woody allen

woody allen Peon

Best Answers:
    I have just started a portfolio website without CMS, pure HTML and CSS only. The downside is that I can't jsut update it, I need my photoshop to do the work for me. everytime I need to add a photo, I'll need to do the whole page again.

But the upside is that, it's not really tht time consuming, and I dun have to learn up CMS.

woody allen, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  14. kajol

kajol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One more think is I am getting at least 40% extra income from adsense from my custom coded CMS over wordpress, drupal or other CMS system.

kajol, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  15. NVISIONCenters

NVISIONCenters Guest

Best Answers:
    This is an issue I've been battling. I can build Dreamweaver html sites, but am having trouble implementing them into a cms with my lack of knowledge. With some of my clients who doesn't want to touch their own site, I will build it without a cms, but if they are even skeptical I will build it in WordPress or Drupal and pay someone else to do it. Less margins, but better in the long run.

NVISIONCenters, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  16. Fbi Raid Plz

Fbi Raid Plz Peon

Best Answers:
    I love using a CMS, it just makes life so much easier :)

Fbi Raid Plz, Jun 15, 2011 IP
  17. TB Adriana

TB Adriana Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    true that!

TB Adriana, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  18. barnaby

barnaby Peon

Best Answers:
    for simple pages that don't get updated too frequently it's easier for me to design and code it without using CMS... besides, I like writing code :)

barnaby, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  19. ratoncito

ratoncito Peon

Best Answers:
    It makes no sense, pretty much CMS can be `100% cutomized so its better to spend money on them and save many hours of work.

ratoncito, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  20. kkulmi

kkulmi Peon

Best Answers:
    I Do Prefer CMS Based Websites Since someone told me that goggle prefers Ms Based sites rather than Simple Html Based . Is It True? Can any One answer this I have a word press based site http://www.myonlineloansshop.com/ Should I continue Word press or shift it to Simple Html.

kkulmi, Jun 18, 2011 IP