1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you spend more time on forums or on social media sites?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by dejaone, Apr 24, 2014.

Do you spend more time on forums or on social media sites? There're more users on social media site, but I feel there're more interaction and sense of community on forum sites.

dejaone, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  2. funmom91

funmom91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I use both. However, most of my time is spent on social media sites since my audience is targeted the results are better there. Forums are good too. However, they have become filled with more spam than they used to be. Therefore, I do not dedicate spending a lot of time on them.

funmom91, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It kind of works opposite for me. I use social media sites to advertise and I use forums to socialize.

You'd think social media sites (like G+) should be teeming with people eager to socialize, but in reality, probably 50% of the people on it do nothing but shamelessly promote their own gigs, profiles, businesses and so on. Which is fine. In my mind the word "social" is associated with having a conversation. For me, honestly, this forum provides more socializing than G+ does.

qwikad.com, Apr 24, 2014 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I use DP (forum) to exchange ideas, meet folks, socialize a little, etc. I use linkedin (social) to research prospects, companies, etc.

I have advertised B2B products on linkedin and facebook, but the campaigns were unsuccessful. I have also advertised on the Cisco forum, but that was also unsuccessful.

jrbiz, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  5. SuperiorWD

SuperiorWD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I only use FB to see what my friends are doing. Other than that, I use the forums to discuss various topics (forums in different niches, of course). I dislike most of the social media sites and remain a forum fanatic :D

SuperiorWD, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  6. Glen11

Glen11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely socialize without profit motive on forums, a well-moderated forum is much friendlier than a well-moderated Facebook group, I think. Maybe it's because I grew up with forums. But yeah - if a forum gets overrun with spam, that's a shame, especially if it was good before. Social media is for business. Easy to share/like/link, more chance for my stuff to spread to the people that I want to see it.

Glen11, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  7. kenzo22

kenzo22 Member

Best Answers:
    I use Fb to keep in touch with my friends, and I use forums mostly to search for knowledge, not for fun ;)

kenzo22, Apr 25, 2014 IP
  8. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    I spend more time helping out other members on the forums and enjoy it. But most of Social media is one sided interaction and marketing.

jazzyjmnote, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  9. Foxxy

Foxxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I spend much more time on social networks. Lately I spend more time on DP than any other forum, and I feel like I probably spend too much time here as it is. I think another aspect is ease of entry. Most forums seem to look at newcomers with a suspicious eye until the person proves that their intention is not to spam. Social sites are much more open to newcomers and tend to welcome everyone with open arms until the person gives a reason to view them as a spammer.

Foxxy, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  10. Resource9

Resource9 Member

Best Answers:
    Having a presence on both, forums and social media websites is important. If you have a business profile and you have a good presence on the social networking websites, then it is a good source of traffic. In the same way, providing good solutions on the forums and making regular posts is a good source of getting traffic.

Resource9, Apr 28, 2014 IP
  11. shortgigs

shortgigs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would have to say forums because the knowledge is there. I think forums are making a comeback in terms of jobs and IM since the early 2000's, due to the limitless resources they provide. All the best for us marketers right? ;)

shortgigs, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  12. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use both platforms as my website traffic coming from these two mediums.

iwebsocial, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  13. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Forums. Fwiw forums ARE social media sites.

dcristo, Apr 30, 2014 IP
  14. mbanj

mbanj Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use social media more frequently than forums. I do get faster result with social media though
    I have not spend the much time just like social media on forums.

mbanj, May 1, 2014 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    DP and a French language site are basically it. I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend any time on social media sites.
    I used to bounce around all over the net when I needed to do research. Now I just come here and get all the technical info I require, I go to that other site for other stuff. Many of my business contacts that I've made in the last few years are from here as well.

Spoiltdiva, May 1, 2014 IP
  16. Pillai.G

Pillai.G Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Interaction on forums expands your business visibility and social media increases your revenue of your business with the right practices! !

Pillai.G, May 1, 2014 IP
  17. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Equally important
    Forum: Get to know more people --> eventually talking to them on social media sites
    Social Media: Deeper Conversations & Interactions

Ethan Alvin, May 1, 2014 IP
  18. Med01

Med01 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I used to spent more time on forums, but now i make a time to each one,

Med01, May 1, 2014 IP
  19. Veronica Vanity

Veronica Vanity Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I giving both a try at the moment but I'd say I spend more time on forums which I do prefer

Veronica Vanity, May 1, 2014 IP
  20. tulipweb

tulipweb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I spend most of the time on forums as it is better way to socialize instead of getting n touch with strange people on social media sites.
    In my view, social media sites are designed for entertainment and promotion of businesses but real discussion goes on forums, where we earn and learn new things with help of genuine people.

tulipweb, May 2, 2014 IP