1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you prefer .COM domains against .EU when browsing web?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by lentak, Jun 17, 2012.

Hi all,

I would like to register several domains in the near future about travelling within Europe (mainly in EU) and would like to ask you if you prefer browsing through .COM domains or it doesn't matter for you?

Thanks!

lentak, Jun 17, 2012 IP
  2. InnovusHost

InnovusHost Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter much to me, but some people can only remember .com.

InnovusHost, Jun 17, 2012 IP
  3. info

info Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .com is better then .eu and if .com is gone then .org or .net are best for any type of sites

info, Jun 18, 2012 IP
  4. webser

webser Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When I browsing the Internet for something I do not look at domain extension, because it doesn't matter for me. On the other hand, if website gets visitors not from search engines extension is quite important, because most of people at first think that website is dot com.
    So, if most of visitors come from search engines dot eu domain won't be a problem, but if you want to advertise your website outside the Internet - you may think about dot com domain. Especially, if your target is USA/CA visitors.

webser, Jun 18, 2012 IP
  5. masm50

masm50 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .EU has just never really caught on with the public consciousness to be honest.
    Your best bet is still to go for the .com or the country tld for the users you are targeting - eg. .co.uk or .de

masm50, Jun 18, 2012 IP
  6. a16

a16 Member

Best Answers:
    .com is m choice

a16, Jun 18, 2012 IP
  7. Blikblogger

Blikblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer .com over .eu

Blikblogger, Jun 19, 2012 IP
  8. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    Within the USA, domains with the .eu extension are basically invisible in search results. I research domains all day long every day, which entails a lot of browsing through search results; and I can barely remember ever visiting or seeing a .eu domain unless I were specifically looking for .eu.

Go with .com.

If you have a budget to work with, PM me for additional options.

ImageAuthors, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  9. lentak

lentak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, with this I cannot fully agree as I have a .EU domain and have a major traffic coming from search engines from US. I suppose that the problem with this is just because of the fact that a lot more great websites have .COM domains and just few of good websites are .EU.

But thank you, it seems that .COM domain is preferable so I will register .COM sites next time.

lentak, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  10. lentak

lentak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BTW can you please try to google for "best zoo in europe" if you are in US and can you please tell me what are the results? Can you see any .EU domain on the first page?

lentak, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  11. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    For the Google search "best zoo in europe", I see the following .eu domain as #1:

best-of-european-union.eu

Of the other websites on page #1, one is a .info (also rare) and all others are .com.

What I would say, though, is that "best zoo in Europe" is a very unlikely search for anyone in the USA to perform. Specifically, there are less than 10 monthly Google searches in the whole USA for this phrase. Had the phrase seen higher USA search volume, I wonder if the .eu and .info domain would show up on page 1 here.

12. lentak

lentak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So that .eu domain is mine. The result shows that it doesn't matter on a domain extension and shows the same results as here in Europe ( I also have one .info domain on the first page + one .at domain).

If the .eu website would be as good as let's say 1and1, godaddy or bluehost when searching for such top keyword like "webhosting" it would be on the first page as well, doesn't matter on the extension.

So my question now is...if you would be googling for "best zoo in europe" and you would notice .EU domain on the list, would you click on it, as it is on the first position, or you would rather look for different website on the page that is .COM domain?

Let's consider .EU domains for travel or service sites related to Europe only. I suppose that looking for "where to travel in Grand Canyon" would not be good on .EU domain :)

lentak, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  13. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    If I am looking for Europe-related information and find a .eu website, then I would be as likely to click on it as on a .com. The same would be true for others in the USA.

Most Americans are unfamiliar with extensions like .eu. So if they find your website and try to remember the web address later, they will probably substitute .com when mentioning it to a friend. Even if they don't, that friend may misremember it as .com.

Although I did see one .info domain on page #1 of Google, from my vantage point there was no .at domain present.

I'm not sure that we can conclude from this one example that the .eu extension will rank as well as .com in the USA. "Best zoo in Europe" is a phrase that people in Europe search for while Americans do not (at least not until they are already in Europe). So it makes sense that the ranking would be affected by the European traffic pattern. If you look at more competitive search phrases -- phrases that are typed into Google here in the USA -- then I predict that people in the USA will find few if any .eu websites on page 1. For example, "France Hotel" yields nothing but .com on page #1 for me here in the USA -- no .eu, no .info, not even a .fr. My assumption is that where there is a lot of American search traffic, Google will favor gTLDs like .com over foreign ccTLDs.

14. alamlinks

alamlinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is .com then it will be visited in all over the word but if it is specific then the people of the specific area will visit. Other area's people will visit your site in minimum cases......................... So .com is better for you............

alamlinks, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  15. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    it makes sense to register .EU if you also own .COM and want separate site for EU travel or for EU customers.
    if you own EU and your competitor owns COM, that is not so cool, unless it is some really popular keyword domain

atxsurf, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  16. chad1988

chad1988 Guest

Best Answers:
    I prefer .com as it's an easier to remember domain name.

Chad

chad1988, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  17. scavy

scavy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes .com is preferred coz people or visitors visiting your web site directly would love to have your extension .com as it is easy to remember

scavy, Jun 23, 2012 IP