1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you pay poor articles?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by farasens, Aug 8, 2010.

Hello world!

I have some websites which I want to fill with conten (articles). I hired some people with a standard rate to write my content. The thing is I don't know how to deal with them. I'm sick of getting screwed over and over again because people are not responsable or even serious. Most of them are serious for some time, but in the end they screw you. I didn't hired someone from DP, rather local writers.

I tell my writers the following: I want unique articles (handwritten) to pass COPYSCAPE. I want them objective, on the topic I tell them, for my website, not fluff content.

Some of the people I worked with, received lots of money from me, but in the end they started to serve me copied content (I checked it with Copyscape) and when I asked them about it, they want the money because "they WORKED" and it's not fair that I don't pay them. I can't pay poor/copied content, because in the end, I need to re-write that content and I don't want to pay double to other writers.

The thing is when they start to copy, they copy lots of articles and I tell them one thing straight: I won't pay anything, nor good or bad articles and I won't work with you again. I'm sick of people I want to trust and they screwing me back. But, when they don't get any money and they get the door closed, they start to treat me and they say they "worked" and deserve the money. I can't pay free money to people who screw me.

At the beginning I give them some simple rules and I let them to copy 1-2 times. But, in the end, the third time, I they still copy and I don't pay them anything and close the collaboration. I think this is the best thing for me to be profitable and not get screwed by iresponsable people. Sometime, altough I tell them I won't pay the full batch of 30-40 articles, I still pay them half or more from that amount, but they still think I screw them. They TREAT me because they always think that they are the "screwed ones". Not to mention, they always deliver after the deadline, but I always pay when I say at the beginning. How can I pay someone if I want my articles in 24 hours and that person will give those in 4-5 days? It's crazy.

How can I manage this situation?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
    farasens, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  2. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    How can I manage this Situation!! Yes, You can!

How much do you pay a person? How do you rent them on?
    Is it below $6 per 500 words article? Is it like 40 Articles as a bunch and then pay them?

Well, if thats the thing, people will Copy!

Pay them well, Pay per go! and things will go smooth!!
    and how did you end up now? No writers? And do you still need some? Its better to look to their post number and select people! Because it does matter!!

Many People reply like :

* I have 18 member team.5 years experience. Pm ing you!
    * I am the best for you work!

Discard them! According to me, i never believe any one who has less than 1k post here and say they have a team unless they are Really reputed and has some PROOF of their existence to be put infront!

So do you still need writer? I have more than 1 working for me for more than a year!

~Exp~

extremephp, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  3. WhiteGyr

WhiteGyr Grunt

Best Answers:
    Try https://requester.mturk.com/mturk/welcome and spell out you will ONLY take original content. You'll still get the occasional cheat but you don't have to accept copied material.

WhiteGyr, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  4. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:

What is this all About? :O I cant even understand why is this relevant to the question asked!

~Exp~

5. farasens

farasens Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello!

Thanks for your answer. Here is how my work goes:

- I pay at 40 articles. If 1-2 or more articles are copied (even one sentence or two - always check with COPYSCAPE) I either don't pay anything, or I pay half or more from the job. I can't pay someone who copies and then, he/she'll copy more.

I need trust and they way to build trust is to get rid of people who don't respect their work.

For example: I need communcation and good articles.

Sorry if my english is poor. I still learn a lot and that's why I here writers for myself because I don't want to write poor content on my webites.

farasens, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  6. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    So in the end, Do you still need some Writers? I cant assign my writers with 40 articles, and neither i do the same to them!!
    I pay them Per article! And May be incase if you want them, may be you can try out 5 each Bundles!!

Things Go Perfect when it is Single - Single!! SO there are no other chances of Alteration! Contact me On PM incase if you want to continue!

here in Dp, if i make a thread saying $1 per 1000 Words is my offer, I can get atleast 5 offers in the thread and 5+ Pm offers :D But no one will possibly have more than 200 Posts!

Thats the thing going on!
    ~Exp~

7. farasens

Best Answers:
    I don't need more writers. This post is not about getting me writers or paying people for writing, this post is all about "why people are not serious?". Even if they are paid regularly and very good, they are not serious. Not all of them, some lie, some don't lie. I got plenty of writers for my websites.

I just wanted to make sure what I can do and if it's good not to pay someone for crap articles. They treat me and I'm sick of being treat by some children.

So I did this, tomorrow I'll meet one of my writers for a beer so he can treat me in the face. Let's see how this goes, because in front of computer all of them are gods.

farasens, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's like most things in life, some people are honest and some are not. Due to the absence of barriers to entry, we suddenly have many non-writers suddenly claiming to be writers. Once they find out that researching and writing on a topic is actually work, they begin to take short-cuts.

You say that you don't need any more writers but I would make a suggestion...never give 40 articles' worth of payment to a new writer. Have them write a few articles and pay as you go to begin building your working relationship. They still might later stray to the dark side but you can weed out the real cheats.

As for not paying, it sounds like you have a contract of sorts which included the work passing Copyscape. Assuming we're talking whole sentences and paragraphs, rather than a few phrases, if it fails to pass then your "writer" broke their contract with you and does not deserve to be paid.

YMC, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  9. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with YMC EXCEPT the last part of the statement. If you purchase articles, and use Copyscape or a dozen similar programs you have been rooked. Prove to me, where Copyscape is a measure of quality. After 40 years, I could easily give you the most worthless junk that ever passed Copyscape. Then I could dress it up to where you could not tell garbage from value. It sure sounds like a case of both a so-called writer, and a so-called buyer and education. As they say often in court, It is a small price to pay, if you learned from it. By still complaining, I question your vision of the value of real writing. I can show you actual figures, that every time you use cheapness, you LOSE money.

Why? Because the increased payout of quality, far far offsets the money you pay for inferior writing. Take that to your banker, forget your lawyer! These is a learning forum, and tearful stories after awhile become routine. Want to test someone, test me, but I require credit cards and not partial payments or stop payment checks. I can give you a quality writer, and in writing my corporation can guarantee performance.

Note to Extreme: Do not say you are the best. Want to check it against some writers I have helped?

dyadvisor, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  10. farasens

Best Answers:
    Who said I am the best?

farasens, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sitting here with three hardcover books as I prepare to write an article for a client. All are still in copyright, so it would be unlikely to find all three of them online. If I were to copy entire passages from those books, my client and Copyscape would have no way of knowing. There lies the greatest part of the fallacy of uniqueness by simply passing Copyscape.

I have never considered Copyscape as full proof of originality or a tool to measure the quality of writing. I have never tested my work product with Copyscape because I only write unique and original content. I built my business on honesty and integrity. My client has little to fear that I will be plagiarizing from the three books and various online sources that I am using for his article.

Buyers use Copyscape as a tool. Sure it is a flawed tool but it is one available to buyers. Careful use of simple Google searches will find more copied works than Copyscape identifies. Of course, that too presumes the original can be found online.

Do not read from my words that I support the use of Copyscape. My point was if the buyer insists the work pass, then anything that does not should not be paid for. No matter what the customer asks for, if the writer agrees and accepts their money, they need to deliver or risk not being paid. Doesn't matter what we think of the requirements.

Increased payout does not guarantee that the writer is honest and does not plagiarize. I have heard more than a few stories of "professional writers" charging "professional rates" who assume their clients are too stupid or lazy to verify that their work is unique. I've even seen on at least one "professional" writer's website where she charged a lower rate for work that she retained the copyrights to. Why would she want to retain rights other than to resell or re-purpose the piece?

We often joke about beer-money writers. But, there are some truly talented high-schoolers and college students who are providing good work for what we would consider beer money. They either wrongly feel their age dictates that they can't charge more or they simply don't know any better.

It's a shame, but the fact of the matter is price alone does not guarantee quality.

YMC, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  12. farasens

Best Answers:
    Thanks YMC for your long answer. I'm thanking you because I know how hard is to write a good article (I done in in several languages) and one well researched article. I thank you for the time you managed to put in your post to help me and other DP readers. Seems you are a honest person.

Anyway, I know Copyscape is not perfect and it can't cover all the market. That's true, but in my case Copyscape helps me a lot. I own one big site and I manage to hire 1-2 writers to write well researched content for it. They research from different languages, offline magazines, newspapers, online and so on.

Curios, how much money you get with one well researched article, as the one you are writing now?

farasens, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  13. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    OP, that last note was note to you, but a previous poster. Look at the YMC website, and you will see quality.

I mention copyscape, because in the 18 years of internet existence, I have never once had a buyer mention this device. Nor were my rates or performance bottom rate.

If a poor writer gets 300 reads at 4% conversion = 12 visitors of questionable quality.
    Should YMC get you 500 reads at 10% conversion = 50 quality visitors.

50 quality visitors are worth more than 8 times the value of 12 questionable ones.

Based on that figure out an agreeable price. You must trust your writer, they must trust you.

14. farasens

Best Answers:
    Thanks!

That's true. You must trust your writer and they must trust you. No trust, no business. Everything on me is all about business - trust and making money.

farasens, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  15. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    that's where you're going wrong. That one request flags up that they can treat you as a newbie. Tell them that you use a range of 'anti-plagiarism' tools, and that if the article fails any test, you will let them know exactly what and where, but they won't be getting paid for that. Two strikes and out.

Make sure that if you dump someone, they really DID plagiarise, because as I'm sure you know by now, Copyscape uses the Google API to look for 'shingles' - even one 3 word shingle in common will be flagged up - and that doesn't necessarily mean plagiarism.

contentboss, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  16. farasens

Best Answers:
    That's a really good advice. I should tell them straight I'll check them on Copyscape or a range of "anti-plagiarism" tools and if they fail any test, they won't be paid for that.

Sometimes, if they screw me with 5 articles from 10, I won't pay them for anything and I won't use the articles. Is that ok? I think any work is based on trust and I need to work with people I can trust, rather than people who I can't trust. I show them screenshoots from copyscape (sometime they have full paragraphs copied, but they say those are not copied). Sometime there are shingles, so that does not mean plagiarism.

I'm very strict and thinking that the best way is to be strict with people, because else, they will screw you over and over again.

farasens, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I were buying articles, I would have a ZERO tolerance policy. I suspect if 5/10 are bad, either the rest are too and you've just not found the original source or those 5 were written solely as bait to get you to hire them.

An entire paragraph, without appropriate citation, has to have been copied. The probability of two different writers matching an entire paragraph word for word is so infinitesimal that I would argue it as being impossible. When it comes to lists, I suppose it could be possible, but a smart writer at least takes the time to reorder the list if not rewrite the entire thing.

Another suggestion would be to delete any email or PM from a writer giving you a per article price without at least asking the buyer the following...

• Is the writer expected to do their own keyword research?
    • Is the article simple Adsense/Google fodder or meant to be an authority piece?
    • Who is the intended audience for the piece?
    • What is the topic and is the buyer providing any source materials if the topic is a complex one?
    • The general length of each piece wanted. (I'm not a fan of per word pricing but a long article [1,000+ words] should cost more than a typical 400-600 word article.)

Certainly not an exhaustive list but one to get you thinking.

YMC, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  18. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    In my entire career, running my corporate writing-marketing-advisory business as a "seller" of information, I always had a ZERO tolerance policy.

Today my wife carries on in the same manner.

The average business suffers a 5% loss due to non payment or non delivery. On rare occasions a collection agency was used. The result according to our collection service was 0.25% loss. And we are talking some considerable figures.

Anytime I got burned, I learned. However, I never inflicted that on the next person. Run a tight ship, but the rules cannot cost you good people. I was in demand, and if the person went elsewhere, it was their loss.

Whenever someone tried to impose restrictions on me, maybe I was fortunate, but I reminded them whose ship it was. Never set the rules so tight that you lose opportunity, but once you adopt a fair policy, also apply zero tolerance.

19. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    And Who said I am The Best Dyadvisor? Simply DOnt Shout on People atleast when I havent even spoke a word to you or say about other " Well Writing " writers here!

~Exp~

20. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Extremephp:

Right under your name. It sure appears that you are in favor of exploitation. And then there is this " [FREE] Fake Visits Generator ~ Get hundreds of visitors for free - FastVisits v1.1
    Posted by extremephp "

Compare that to my signature line about exploitation.

You mention your team of writers.
    I mention how writers should and can avoid exploitation.

It would sure appear you are putting both on level playing field.
    It would sure appear that I am not.

If those are not your intentions, please explain them. I do not believe we are anywhere near in Ethics.