1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you hunt?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joshie, May 28, 2014.

Are you a hunter? If so what animals do you love hunting to eat? I am born and raised deer hunter, I have ate many of animals you could think of and two of my favorite animals to eat is deers obviously and bears.

My favorite part in deer meat is their backstrip steak which is probably the lowest counts of meats out of deer such as deer jerky, hamburger and another type of steak (sides steak - I don't like them much).

As for the bears I absolutely love the steak from bears especially on their back and their sides as well. They are the second best steak I have ever ate in my entire life and probably always will be.

I also hunt squirrels but rarely, maybe ten squirrels every three-four years because squirrels make great meats for gravy (only thing I like out of squirrels).

Dear PETA or vegetarian - I apologize that this may be offensive but the problem is you all do not understand the fact that we kills them for foods, we are animals lovers too which is why when we go hunting we have the utterly respect for the animals we killed and appreciate them to fill our hunger.

Joshie, May 28, 2014 IP
    webcosmo likes this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My Dad used to take me rabbit and pheasant hunting when I was teenager. Rabbit sautéed in wine with rice is a favorite dish of mine (though I rarely get to eat it) and I prefer wild rabbit to domesticated. Also, when I was a teenager, my best friend and I would go squirrel hunting and his mother would make squirrel stew. It was good, too.

jrbiz, May 28, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Isn't it funny that I eat beef and pork - no problem, but when I think of trying bear meat it almost makes me feel nauseous? I ate deer a few times, wouldn't say it's my favorite, but I don't mind eating it at all.

Just last night I told my wife that it's time to make home-made beef jerky again. Did you try making that too? Mine always comes out delish.

qwikad.com, May 28, 2014 IP
    Joshie likes this.
  4. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I always make deer jerky every time I would get a kill. Deer Jerky and the backstrip steak is the most meats we eats here. Dehydrate them with seasonings and pour a handful of salts and black peppers then you have a great deer jerky.

It is understandable that you get nauseous when it comes to eat some of fresh meats because when I kill deers and sometime my mother would come to the house to eat dinner with me, often it is deer steak and she would feel nauseous and would always say "poor bambi, was they sad when you killed them?". :D
    But she likes them and eats them regularly as long as we have side foods such as mashed potatoes or something, she says that if she eats some of them every now and then that it would start getting less nauseous for her.

Joshie, May 28, 2014 IP
  5. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    :)))))))))))))

I am also a hunter, but i kill for pleasure. Sometimes mosquitoes , sometimes flies, and occasionally a spider :p

webcosmo, May 28, 2014 IP
    langau and jrbiz like this.
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Most cultures won't eat carnivores so your aversion to Bear is probably tied up with that.

I have no issue with people who hunt for food but hunting for sport doesn't do it for me. We only have 4 million people in NZ yet every year we have multiple cases of experienced hunters shooting their friends or their sons because they don't identify their target. Invariably the shooter has been a leader in the sport preaching high vis and other safety issues. The victim is always a member of their own hunting party so it's not as if they didn't know there were other people around. Scary stuff.

sarahk, May 28, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is why in some states that anyone who hunt with rifles or shotguns are required to wear orange hat and orange shirt or orange vest over camouflage shirt so to identify the hunters, if get caught not wearing orange hat and orange shirt/vest they will be fined and possibly be sent to jail. That is the law for hunters in some of the states including Kentucky here and West Virginia.

If the hunters are using archery/bow they are allowed to wear full camouflage but if hunting with a weapon (rifle or shotgun only) are forced to wear orange hat/beanie and orange shirt/vest or they will be fined and be going to jail by games warden.

Joshie, May 28, 2014 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I thought it was compulsory down here too but from the photos on https://www.facebook.com/deerstalkers I guess it's not. We don't have game wardens the way you do in the US. Once you go into the bush you are relying on human decency although the cops will come and sort things out afterwards if events transpire.

sarahk, May 28, 2014 IP
  9. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure that they don't take the orange hat/beanie and shirt/vest off so to get comfortable for some photos?

I did a quick research for New Zealand rules on deer hunting, I got several of "Hunter thought orange beanie was deer" and other similar, insane! How can you think a deer wear a orange beanie?!

Joshie, May 28, 2014 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Hunting accidents happen all of the time. We had a pretty famous one a few years ago when the then Vice President, Dick Cheney, shot a member of his hunting party on a hunt in Texas. How that happened with the Secret Service and the rest of his entourage all around is a mystery to me. There were rumors that alcohol might have been involved, but they are only rumors, of course.

I had my own shooting "incident" one time that I was rabbit hunting with my father and a friend of his. I had a shot at a rabbit, but missed (typical for me, unfortunately). However, one of the shot pellets must have hit a rock, taken a right angle turn and went another 50 yards or so and hit my father's friend in the cheek (about an inch or less below his left eye.) He was nowhere in my line of firing and at first we were not sure where the shot pellet came from (was there another hunter lurking around or something?) but we finally figured out that it must have been my shot. I was grateful that it did not hit his eye, of course, but his biggest concern was that the three of us keep it a secret so that his wife would not find out.

We have a local newspaper columnist that always writes a column at the start of hunting season in which he chronicles the exploits of drunken and/or newbie hunters on the first day of deer season. It is both hilarious and a sad commentary on the sport.

jrbiz, May 29, 2014 IP
  11. Jameyson MacDonald

Jameyson MacDonald Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I cannot legally own a firearm these days, so I don't hunt. But I pretty much grew up in the backwoods and spent many a mornings hunting squirrel, rabbit, turkey and deer. In my early teen years, my family lived in a small trailer in the middle of the woods in the little town of Mt Washington, KY, with no running water or electricity. We kept a dozen or so 5 gallon jugs of water, used an outhouse, bathed in a pond and hunted and fished most of our food. Cornbread, beans and rabbit stew were a common staple in my home!

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    Jameyson MacDonald, May 30, 2014 IP
  12. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have no felony on your record then you have the rights and are legal to purchase a weapon (gun, rifle or shotgun). It would take you just ten minutes to purchase any kind of guns and they check your background right on the spot while the employee getting your gun ready for you to take it home. Although I don't know what state you are in as I am speaking for Kentucky since that is where I am at.

Joshie, May 30, 2014 IP
  13. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    I do

14. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Make sense, my step father have a felony on his record for two decades I believe and he was able to solved that so he could own a rifle for hunting. He says all you would need to do is to have a lawyer and ask to help you to have a rights to own at least rifle (not handgun though but rifle or a shotgun) and they usually willing to do so if the felony record is several years old like two decades like his was although that felony record is permanent but he was able to get his rights to own only a rifle or a shotgun ONLY in the state that you are in but not allowed to take it or carry it in other states than the one you live in.

Joshie, May 30, 2014 IP
  15. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    Joshie, I spent 15 years in prison; there is no way they are going to restore my right to bear arms. At one time this might have been possible, but today, the only way to have the right to bear arms reinstated after a felony is if you receive a presidential pardon. Considering I did what I was accused of, that will not happen.

16. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That sucks buddy, but if you do have a passion for hunting deers like I do you can still hunt but bow or archery as it is absolutely not against the law to own it.

Joshie, May 30, 2014 IP
  17. Jameyson MacDonald

Best Answers:
    I've thought about that. Maybe this Autumn, I might do some deer hunting with a bow...

18. Jahsun

Jahsun Active Member

Best Answers:
    No but would love to learn, it seems difficult. Are there special bullets?

Jahsun, May 31, 2014 IP
  19. Joshie

Joshie Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what animals you would like to hunt and also depends on the law in your state because every states and also counties has different law for the hunters.

Here's a great information from an official fish and wildlife service website: FWS.Gov (hunting).

Joshie, May 31, 2014 IP
  20. Jahsun

Jahsun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you @Joshie i will look into this some more.

Jahsun, May 31, 2014 IP