do you hold back on adsense due to fear of banning?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by ris, Jul 29, 2005.

I dont know about you guys, but I probably only run adsense on a minimal scale. I could probably be making 3-4 times more with the program, but due to all their bannings, whats the point?

I just dont agree with "ban first, never ask questions later". This is the exact type of thing that happens under a dictatorship. Its a disgrace.

Adsense seems more like a gamble. Throw it on your sites, ride the wave until you get kicked out.

Does anyone else hold back due to fear of losing your account?

ris, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  2. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    That's like saying 'I don't want to make four times as much money because I MIGHT be banned one of these months or years.'

Nintendo, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  3. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    >>do you hold back on adsense due to fear of banning?<<

No. Because I don't do anything to cheat them. I put them on my page and run them the way they're supposed to be run. If you do everything within the rules as dictated by them, there's no need to be scared of banning. As my dad likes to say, "The only drivers looking out for the cops is the ones without insurance."

toocoolforschool, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  4. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    and the ones who like to run reds. :)

If you fear "arbitrary" banning, what's the difference between you operating at minimal efficiency vs maximal efficiency, as long as maximal efficiency lies within the bounds of the TOS? If go all out means better ad positioning, better colors, or more ad units, there should be nothing to stop you.

david_sakh, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  5. TiGG

TiGG Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, don't fear banning if you're within the law...

on another note this quote is stupid...
    "The only drivers looking out for the cops is the ones without insurance."

If you stay 100% within the law and never push the limits, know your speedometer is 100% accurate, and never for a moment go above the speed limit then this is a true quote. If you go 5mph over the cop is within the law to fine you a few hundred dollars. If you're dad has ever sped then he's a moron for not looking out for the cops. Sorry.

TiGG, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  6. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, jackoff, my dad is smart enough to "get" the gist of a stupid proverb instead of insulting other people's parents.

toocoolforschool, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  7. TiGG

TiGG Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah but the proverb is wrong. I'm not insulting, I'm correcting.

TiGG, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  8. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    With that kind of an attitude, you may end up with a terminated account for not producing. Here's a quote from the new and improved AS TOS:

Shhhh! Can you hear it? Can you hear the whips cracking?! :D :p

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  9. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Read this thread I just created.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=23077

I also fear banning not because I do ANYTHING wrong but because when you do get banned you don't know why. If your read their TOS it has a lot of room for intepretation. If you place your adsense too close to navigation they could ban you. If you mention gambling they could ban you. Read the TOS and see that if they want to ban you they can. Of course you don't normally get to know why. It's scary as hell imho since adsense brings in more money most other ad providers. There is too much power in their hands imho. They don't seem to have an appeals process where you can get the reason for banning and make changes to get unbanned.

RectangleMan, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  10. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    I don't know about it being that easy to get terminiated, just from posting a word on a site some where. They probably could, but I don't think they would! If they would, you might want to edit your post to get rid of the word before Google sees it and bans Shawn.

Nintendo, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  11. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand the logic... Lots of people have given the advice that it is important to diversify. That is sound, logical and good business advice, no matter what you are doing.

Not maximizing your revenue because you think you might get banned is a an absolutely HORRIBLE business strategy, if you are doing it within the framework of the established guidelines.

Are you doing anything that might get you banned? Are you stretching your toe across the line of acceptability? If not.. then go ahead and maximize your revenue. The amount of money you will spend on ulcer medication will eat up all of your adsense income with a strategy like the one you have undertaken.

What percentage of adsense accounts do you think have been removed from the program? I would hazard to guess it is a miniscule fraction.

What percentage of those people had 100% clean systems that were not violating the TOS or dealing in extremely gray areas with their content, set up and services? I would take the previous percentage and flip them around.

I get the impression that for a lot of people adsense is their first personal business venture of any sort. You need to toughen up a bit, and stop believing everything you read on the internet. :D

aeiouy, Jul 30, 2005 IP
    Nintendo likes this.
  12. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just make sure i don't do anything that's against the TOS. But i am aware that there are certain external things that make go against me.

A rival clicking repeatedly to sabotage my adsense accopunt is one of them.

iskandar, Jul 30, 2005 IP