1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you have to trademark a website / logo?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mqs1000, Feb 2, 2014.

Client's been asking me about how to trademark their new website and website name and logo. Any idea of what I should tell her?

mqs1000, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  2. mokah

mokah Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if you're in the UK you have to apply for a trademark at the Intellectual Property Office. You can do it online I think but it costs £170 and the entire process takes like 3 months and that's only if there are no objections.

In the US you have to apply via the USPTO and I think the process is quite similar.

mokah, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  3. Nette

Nette Active Member

Best Answers:
    Refer them to this link:
    http://www.trademarkia.com/trademark/trademark-services.aspx

Nette, Feb 2, 2014 IP
  4. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Trademarking is expensive - and for small businesses it's often not worth it. @mokah noted where you can apply, however note that copyright is often sufficient to cover the needs of a site.

jamjar919, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  5. SitePortal

SitePortal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    wow, I never thought there are things like that., :D

SitePortal, Feb 15, 2014 IP
  6. Iconiplex

Iconiplex Member

Best Answers:
    Trademarking is expensive? It's a few hundred dollars, which is a negligible fee to protect the business over time.

Iconiplex, Feb 15, 2014 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  7. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks fine when calculated in USD. But other currencies may not be so comfortable. Especially if it is a medium level company. If any legal problem arises, they can always prove they using the logo or name since a long time.

meetdilip, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  8. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

ITS always worth it, and thinking like that, is what STOPS most from becoming BIG!

sundaybrew, Feb 16, 2014 IP
  9. Jayde86

Jayde86 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is important to trademark a website name or logo before you are threatened by cybersquatters. It is simple to register your domain name as a trademark all you have to do is to first search to find out if there is any name that conflicts with the name you want to choose, in case this happens the government will still charge the filing fee. Every country has its own ways to apply for the trademark just as in USA three ways are applied, one is through application ,other one an intent to use application and the third one is for those who are residing outside the USA. You just have to fill the forms and submit over the internet on Trademark Application system. To alert the public of your trademark privileges you can use the service mark symbols.

Jayde86, Feb 19, 2014 IP