1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you have a forumla to measure the competion of keywords?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by mizt, Oct 31, 2005.

I was wondering is anyone had a forumla they followed to find out a competion of a keyword or key term phrase? Even better would be a script that let you enter X amount of keyword phrases and gave you a ranking on each one. Is there such a thing, I have been just looking at the link counts in msn/yahoo of the #3, #4, & #5 sites but I'm slowy learning this isn't a very accurate way.

mizt, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Heres what I do.

Find the searches per day. I use keyword discovery because its more accurate. But I also look at overture and wordtracker.

Then I will search for that keyword on MSN, Yahoo, Google. Dont even pay attention on how many results it comes up with. The I look at the top 5 sites for that keyword. Mostly just check their backlinks.

Then I will do an allintitle:"keyword" search on MSN, Yahoo, Google.

After I have done all that I will look at my results. You are looking for a term that is highly searched a day that the top 5 sites for that keyword have low backlinks and there are minimal search results for the allintitle search.

As in determing if its a good keyword I guess it just takes practice to see what kind of results you get.

Hope I said that clear enough. :)

aaron_nimocks, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  3. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Voasi, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  4. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    My method is very similar but I also look at allinurl, allinanchor and a quoted ("") search to get a feel for how many sites are actively SEOed versus passively SEOed.

And I don't bother with MSN except to look up BLs because MSN is very easy to do great in. Competition hardly comes in to play there.

rmccarley, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  5. mizt

mizt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, does any one else have some input?

mizt, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  6. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Point offers a keyword suggestion tool. I use that to get an idea of what words to target. I confirm it is a good search term by looking at how many people are willing to pay money to rank well for that term, through adwords and overture. Hope that helps.

Web Gazelle, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  7. Shoe ButtBack

Shoe ButtBack Active Member

Best Answers:
    No input, but I do have a question.

I own this one gaming site, get only 1K uniques a day on it now.
    I would like to know more about SEO.

My question is where do you check BACKLINKS? .. Marketleap?

Also, one you have your keyword phrase thatis ideal and has a low ratio on NicheBot, what do you do with it?

I put my keywords in META keywords. I check google after a week or so
    and nothing seemed to have changed, I'm still very low rank on that keyword.
    I must be doing something wrong :confused:

Shoe ButtBack, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  8. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of ways to check backlinks. Marketleap is a good one just dont look at Google when checking backlinks. They dont show them all on purpose. Look at MSN/Yahoo

To rank better for that keyword putting it in the Meta keywords wont help. Putting it in your <title> <h1> and <body> will help. <title> is the most important.

aaron_nimocks, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  9. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to add to this and say that you should make sure you don't KW stuff. Once in the Title and header tags will suffice, and write your content with a human visitor in mind, not a SE spider.

Web Gazelle, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  10. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Our are about the same I look at some of the allin commands and see how many results are returned. Some are so easy if you are willing to wait out the sandbox you can get top allin's within a week or two.

larysmith711, Nov 1, 2005 IP