1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you ever have doubts about wether or not you are "REALLY" a writer?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Apr 14, 2012.

It might not be so much that I'm talented, but that I don't really care. I probably don't get criticism because I don't ask for it, or even value it when it comes to my day to day writing work. I do my paid work for the money, so I provide the service the client wants. Half the time what they want is, in my opinion as a writer, a bit lame, so if they are happy with it, that doesn't mean I'm a good writer - it just means I'm versatile and also mercenary enough to churn out stuff with no real concern for credibility. For people doing that kind of work, criticism is meaningless unless it is about the basic mechanics of your language use, because you are working to a limited brief. It's not like you wrote a book and poured all your imagination and creativity into it for someone to come back and say it's no good. Personally, I say save the pride for your personal projects, the stuff you put your name to. That's the stuff you should defend. Client work is a profession, not an art.

melanie.c.jones, May 31, 2012 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @melanie.c.jones
    Very good post,thanks for that. What you've written is logical and I suggest that young writers starting out, ought to refer to what you wrote.
    But ...."I don't really care". Most writers do and therein lies the issue.:)

Spoiltdiva, May 31, 2012 IP
  3. lisa28

lisa28 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i usually face this issue that whether i am really a writer or not. This happens when you have been in the field for long and you have to struggle everytime to make things possible. Similarly in my case i have to work hard for my tasks whether it is related to writing or marketing. And when you're writing for someone you should always be ready to face criticism because everyone writes and expects in their own way. One has to be open to any sort of negative comments. But there are people who get the writing skill naturally in them and are God gifted. And there are others who work hard to learn this skill and make an earning through it.

lisa28, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @lisa28
    I believe you have hit on something relevant to the subject of this thread. Namely that one ought "to be open to any sort of negative comments".
    Those who shut down and take them personally, will be subject to a writing career filled with doubts,misgivings, and apprehensions.

I also liked your "God gifted" remark. That could be the subject of a future thread, stay tuned. :)

Spoiltdiva, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  5. NathanielFletcher

NathanielFletcher Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose every person deals with a feeling like that at one point in time or the other. It's not just specific to writing alone, but excessive negative criticism from authorities will make any person doubt oneself's abilities.

NathanielFletcher, Jun 4, 2012 IP
  6. MoreThanWords

MoreThanWords Peon

Best Answers:
    Let your client first pay you a down payment before you accept the job.
    When your client isn't satisfied with your article, offer him to edit it?
    If after he still doesn't like it and you think it's the fault of the client because he wasn't as thorough as he/she should have been with his/her guidelines. Keep the down payment and move on.

Some clients just don't know what they are looking for

MoreThanWords, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @NathanielFletcher
    You're right,those kind of feelings are not exclusive to just writing.

@MorethanWords
    I like that,when in doubt blame the client.:)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    Spoiltdiva, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  8. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm human. I have doubts and question my ability even though I know deep down that I can write. I know enough that not everything I write is the shiznit and that all who read it are just going to sing my praises. The key is to not dwell on the criticism. We all need criticism, even when it is harsh. It keeps our egos in check and allows us to grow if we allow it too.

You also need to consider where the criticism is coming from. I've had the experience of a client who just wasn't happy no matter what. I'd submit work that I was proud of. I followed all the instructions, did the research and produced content that I was sure the client would be happy with only to have the client do a complete 180 and rip the content, (and my ego), to pieces. It was brutal. I had done exactly what I was contracted to do only to discover what the client was thinking, what the client really wanted, was lost in translation from the clients brain to fingertips. I did work 3 times for this person, wanting to make it right, only to discover later that it just wasn't going to happen no matter what. The relationship was damaged and I couldn't repair it. I took it to heart. I wanted to do a good job and make things right. I wanted to please this client. I couldn't write the rest of that day. I was beating myself up mentally. I couldn't just shrug it off and move on to the next project.

The next day, I was still nursing some wounds, but I was going to write that day come hell or high water. I reviewed the material from the day before, analyzed it, and accepted that yes I could have changed this or that, the client wasn't completely out of line on some criticisms, but I also knew it wasn't just me. This was simply a difficult client. I wasn't going to allow this bad experience to consume my thoughts and negatively influence my work from this point forward. When I wrote that day, I found myself being overly critical of myself. I was still licking some wounds, (after all my ego took a major hit), but by the end of the day, I was pleased with the content I produced.

I had to have a bad experience like this. I had to have my ego knocked down a few pegs and kept in check. Bad experiences are needed from time to time in order to be able to learn and grow.

Sure I have moments where I hate everything I write and I can easily become my own worst enemy. Doubting myself and ability. Negative thoughts running through my head even though I know deep down I can write. I don't know a single person that doesn't question themselves and their abilities from time to time. It's healthy on some level to do so. It's just you can't let a bad experience, a bad moment, negative thoughts, and harsh criticism get the better of you. Not allowing these times to consume you. Recognize it. Take time to get a good cry out, eat some junk food, or whatever helps you get through the moment and then come back to the task at hand when the moods has passed. Don't dwell on the bad experience or something someone said or wrote. Learn from it, but always remember that tomorrow is a new day.

TextServices, Feb 5, 2013 IP
    Live2Write, YMC and Spoiltdiva like this.
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @TextServices
    That was a wonderful post and made me somewhat emotional as I was reading it. I was able to relate with much of what you wrote. I am sure your comment will help other writers when they too have their talent questioned.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  10. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As to clients not liking a writer's work, assuming the piece is well-written, we all have to remember that some folks just like different things. While some might think James Mitchener is a long-winded blow-hard because his books are so long, some of us enjoy those highly detailed descriptions of the locale he is writing about.

Poetry that might leave me scratching my head and saying "huh, what the heck is that?" might have someone else moved to tears.

Writing, like any creative field is subjective. Not pleasing everyone comes with the territory. The trick is determining which clients are just trying to get more than they paid for, which clients just don't want to pay and which ones honestly don't like what you've given them.

YMC, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @YMC
    Good post as usual, from you I have come to expect nothing less. On the subject of poetry however we will have to agree to disagree. In fact I wish that DP had a version of a "Poet's Corner" forum. I think something along those lines would prove to be quite popular.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I think you misunderstood me about the poetry. I do like some poetry and am evolved enough to know all poetry doesn't rhyme but, there's still some poetry that just leaves me wondering why the poet is lauded for their efforts. Sometimes it just seems like someone high on crack simply strung a bunch of words together and because it is labeled 'poetry' it becomes art rather than the rantings of the mindless.

YMC, Feb 5, 2013 IP
  13. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    Seeing the headline reminds me of something said by one of my favorite authors John Steinbeck. It was in the journal that he wrote alongside his actual penning of Grapes of Wrath. When he started the book he expressed doubt at knowing how to write a novel! And he a Nobel laureate and all!

If even the greats are consumed by doubts, us lesser mortals can be excused similar emotions...

axxil, Mar 10, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @axxil,
    Well said and so very true. Perhaps doubt in a writer is a good thing? For with it a writer will *never* experience complacency and continuously strive to excel, thereby producing good works.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 10, 2013 IP
  15. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    An artist producing stuff who has no doubt is probably producing 'dead' stuff. For 'artist,' substitute writer of any kind. Doubt I guess is an essential element of the entire magic. Maybe it's part and parcel of this: That if you know for absolutely certain what someone's gonna say before they open their mouth, guaranteed it won't be worth hearing. Hope that all makes sense...

axxil, Mar 11, 2013 IP
  16. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    I write well. I am not a professional writer and that is a handy excuse to say to myself and to anybody else when my work is being criticized. We are all a work in progress and while you may work as a professional writer and are good at it, you can always do better. And some people will point out how exactly you can be.

My two cents. Have a good day!

affilorama, Mar 13, 2013 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @affilorama
    Yes and one other thing ought to be considered when one is subjected to criticism, namely we need to consider the source. If your critic couldn't write their way out of a wet paper bag, then who are they to point the finger?
    But having said all that, one can't grow as a writer if one cannot adapt to positive change or advice. Got to be a balance there I believe.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 13, 2013 IP